Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

So what are the take aways from SC vs ND? 70 of 100 points scored in the paint with 19 by guards and 29 assists.
For me, a few takeaways …..post game looks strong again obviously. There are willing and capable shooters now in the backcourt even though Fulwiley was off from outside in this game, she is a high percentage shooter from three historically. I suppose my first takeaway is that this team plays very fast on the break, defense is not as tight as last season but not far off. I also think they can legit go 10 deep without a drop off and they look very athletic. My only worry is slight but I want to see them hit outside shots in a tight game, like against Uconn for example. Probably the fastest and most athletic team in the SEC and tbh they also can play the biggest lineup in the league if they choose.

They lack experience as compared to teams like LSU and UT, no questions here. I still would not favor them on the road at LSU or UT, but I have seen enough to favor them at home versus both at this time And also vs Uconn at home in Feb. Fulwiley is going to be huge in her career, I think she makes a big mark this year, Dawn is going to play her in the important minutes, she is something. Cardoso is the best big in the nation if I’m picking teams right now. Raven will be an All SEC teamer this year. PaoPao fits in nicely and was needed.

I can see 4-5 losses with such a young team, I would have said 6-8 last week. SC is better than I thought out of the gate. The SEC is deep. SECFOY is gonna be between Williams or Fulwiley imo right now. Cardoso is better than Reese also imo only. UT, LSU and SC will vie for 1-2 seeds in tourney. Gonna be a fun season, gl to all and hope no injuries to anyone.

UT and SC prob play the two toughest schedules in the nation, so they will be tested many times each. With SC’s schedule, obviously Uconn and Utah are problematic, both are top 5 teams, but they also play Md., UNC and Duke on the road as well as many other legit teams. It’s a long season, so let’s wait and see. Same for UT. I reserve my final opinions until January tbh. I could see the SEC putting 6 teams in the tourney.

Last edited:
For me, a few takeaways …..post game looks strong again obviously. There are willing and capable shooters now in the backcourt even though Fulwiley was off from outside in this game, she is a high percentage shooter from three historically. I suppose my first takeaway is that this team plays very fast on the break, defense is not as tight as last season but not far off. I also think they can legit go 10 deep without a drop off and they look very athletic. My only worry is slight but I want to see them hit outside shots in a tight game, like against Uconn for example. Probably the fastest and most athletic team in the SEC and tbh they also can play the biggest lineup in the league if they choose.

They lack experience as compared to teams like LSU and UT, no questions here. I still would not favor them on the road at LSU or UT, but I have seen enough to favor them at home versus both at this time And also vs Uconn at home in Feb. Fulwiley is going to be huge in her career, I think she makes a big mark this year, Dawn is going to play her in the important minutes, she is something. Cardoso is the best big in the nation if I’m picking teams right now. Raven will be an All SEC teamer this year. PaoPao fits in nicely and was needed.

I can see 4-5 losses with such a young team, I would have said 6-8 last week. SC is better than I thought out of the gate. The SEC is deep. SECFOY is gonna be between Williams or Fulwiley imo right now. Cardoso is better than Reese also imo only. UT, LSU and SC will vie for 1-2 seeds in tourney. Gonna be a fun season, gl to all and hope no injuries to anyone.

UT and SC prob play the two toughest schedules in the nation, so they will be tested many times each. With SC’s schedule, obviously Uconn and Utah are problematic, both are top 5 teams, but they also play Md., UNC and Duke on the road as well as many other legit teams. It’s a long season, so let’s wait and see. Same for UT. I reserve my final opinions until January tbh. I could see the SEC putting 6 teams in the tourney.
The current bracketology has 8 SEC teams and that would not surprise me. LSU. UT, SC, OLE MISS, MISSISSIPPI STATE AND TEXAS A&M should be locks, but don't count out Georgia, Arkansas or Alabama either. They should be be quality teams.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
People will exaggerate other teams to the extreme.. Dayton won 7 games last season lol.
As an attempt at a factual argument, that is a failure. You neglected to mention that
Dayton has (1) a new coach, and more importantly, (2) a new starting roster, thanks to that new coach's active pursuit of more talented players from the portal. The current team has only one thing in common with the team from last year: the name Dayton.

Please demonstrate with real facts and forum member names some examples of what you believe to be exaggerations. Or… return to your endearing homerism, and leave discussions of other teams to those who know at least a little bit about them.

Thats why I bet 100 bucks on UCONN tonight. Easy 91 bucks take home money. I despise UCONN but its almost automatic cash with that roster. Dayton was predicted 9th in their conference of course UCONN was going to cover 36. Thats with Paige on limited minutes. Barring injuries UCONN should be the favorite to win it all. Hurts to put into words but Geno wants another title after such a long drought. UCONN actually has depth this year. Edwards, Fudd, Paige, Ducharme, Griffin, and Muhl. All 3 years in. Plus newbies. UCONN shoule be the favorite. It hurts admitting this, but I think UCONN goes undefeated.

Reactions: maple
Come back weeks from now and it’ll be a completely different story. Common sense ain’t too common. UConn can and will be best this season healthy or not.
They got beat last season by weak teams in their own conference.

This season they are good but not unbeatable. Far from an odds on favorite.

You folks will try to convince others of your OPINION and write paragraphs to justify it then when that team gets beat to sleep it never happened lol.

I don't care who Youngstown State is playing, it's still great to see Emily having a great game. She's a really nice person, and some of us still support former Lady Vols who sought opportunities elsewhere and didn't trash our program on their way out.

Keep it up. Thing about the LVs, the support runs deep!

Reactions: creekdipper
As an attempt at a factual argument, that is a failure. You neglected to mention that
Dayton has (1) a new coach, and more importantly, (2) a new starting roster, thanks to that new coach's active pursuit of more talented players from the portal. The current team has only one thing in common with the team from last year: the name Dayton.

Please demonstrate with real facts and forum member names some examples of what you believe to be exaggerations. Or… return to your endearing homerism, and leave discussions of other teams to those who know at least a little bit about them.
This is Tamika Williams-Jeter's second season at Dayton. So not a totally new coach. 4 of their 5 starters last night started the majority of the games they each played in for Dayton last year. Ivy Wolf is their one new player/starter.

Man, I'd really have to disagree on "endearing". Unless you meant as blue font.
I apologize. Calling that sort of bluebirds and unicorns homerism “endearing “ seemed so over-the-top that a change in font color would have been belts and braces. I obviously forgot that this is the internet, where some folks take everything more seriously than you and I might.

That said, you're right. I should have splashed a little pigment on endearing. ;)

This is Tamika Williams-Jeter's second season at Dayton. So not a totally new coach. 4 of their 5 starters last night started the majority of the games they each played in for Dayton last year. Ivy Wolf is their one new player/starter.

Facts lol.
UConn scored 9 more points than Tennessee in their first game. They gave up just 6 fewer points.

Jewel Spear didn’t even play the 4th qtr and scored 20 pts.

Look at these same posters glorifying comments about UConn as opposed to Tennessee.

These expert analysts here are living in an alternate universe.. the almighty Connies are still dominant on their sacred timeline lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Only1COJ
Facts lol.
UConn scored 9 more points than Tennessee in their first game. They gave up just 6 fewer points.

Look at these same posters glorifying comments about UConn as opposed to Tennessee.

These expert analysts here are living in an alternate universe.. the almighty Connies are still dominant on their sacred timeline lol.
It's a bit early to be making comparisons of how the season unfolds.
But if I were to consider your comparison meaningful, I would have to assume UConn beats UT by 15.
I guess that's what you meant to say.

Emily Saunders had a career night in her first career start, and the Youngstown State women's basketball team used a strong defensive effort to beat Xavier 55-41 on Wednesday evening in the 2023-24 opener for both squads.

Saunders, a fifth-year senior forward, took advantage of her first opportunity as YSU's starting center in its inside-out offense. She was 10-for-15 from the field to score 20 points, and she added 14 rebounds, two steals and two blocks. It was her first career double-double, and she set new career highs in both scoring and rebounding.

- I observed their games last year and she averaged 10 minutes . her scoring percentage, rebounds per minute were significant. the offense focused on a scoring /rebounding forward and they lost many close games. Perhaps the word Forward is significant in defining their offense versus center

to quote our poster GULE Emily is now free

It's a bit early to be making comparisons of how the season unfolds.
But if I were to consider your comparison meaningful, I would have to assume UConn beats UT by 15.
I guess that's what you meant to say.
Thank goodness basketball game scoring is not transitive. 🤝

Facts lol.

So, what is it you were trying to say? UConn played this game not to kill someone, but to get the three freshmen, a red shirt fresh man, and a super star who hasn't played a real game in over 500 days acclimated to college basketball. Six players scored in double figures, and one of them was not named Paige Bueckers. Maybe you should just continue to comment and cheer for the home team, as it is obvious that you really have no knowledge about other teams and how they prepare for a season. You are so anti-everybody else that your comments are just meaningless to the average fan. Also, 10 players played at least 10 minutes.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back