Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Minnesota shooting less than 20% from the floor and not because of great defense.

UConn should be winning this game by 30 points if they were as strong as predicted this season.

I haven’t seen much from any of the UConn freshmen in this game.
The freshmen weren’t too bad this game when they actually got on the floor (like KK Arnold having a buzzer beater 3 to end Q3). The biggest problem for UConn right now is that most of our upperclassmen aren’t all that (except Paige). They play decent D, but don’t get a lot of O boards and miss a lot of open shots/easy baskets. There’s no consistency with the upperclassmen and I think mentally they aren’t very tough (for whatever reason, I can think of a lot of excuses). The freshmen need to play more IMO.

I won’t forget anytime soon how every single day folks on this thread made South Carolina sound unbeatable for victories over teams like Maryland (who is down 38-35 at halftime to Syracuse) and Notre Dame (who is without their star PG and relying on a FR as their best player), the same ND who just looked decent at home against Illinois, and Clemson who got blown out multiple times the year before in their first three games with a healthy roster top to bottom mostly at home.

The first time South Carolina loses this year you can bet most will find another team to declare the regular season champions.

This is going to be a long season and at this point there’s no telling next month who will be leading the race.

GBO🍊

Clemson lost this season to SC by 69 pts - 109-40. Last season, the closest to this type of loss - "blow-out" or otherwise - was a 54-point loss 85-31 to the same South Carolina Gamecocks at home. That was their 4th home game to open the season: they were 3-0 in their first 3 home games.

The biggest losses other than to South Carolina last season was by 38 pts to Kansas St. on a neutral court, and by 31 pts to FSU at FSU. The other 13 losses last season were by an average of 9.69 pts, with the largest of those being by 18 pts 77-59 at then-#8 NC State. After their FSU loss which was the next loss after the NC State one, the Tigers lost their final 11 games by an average of 8.5 pts per game.....

Reactions: JustaChicken
Yikes KY lost to Florida Gold Coast. Will Kyra make it thru the whole season?
Florida Gulf Coast is one of those very competitive mid-major teams that will rise up and bite a P5 program if that program is struggling or is not respecting the Eagles. Looks like it was the 1st scenario that caught the Wildcats, but not very surprising.

The Eagles regularly are a 30-game winning program that dominates their small conference and makes an appearance in the NCAAT annually. They are now 3-1 on the season and played this game on their home court....

South Carolina is about to take on a similar type opponent tomorrow at home in South Dakota State, although the Jackrabbits have not dominated the Summit League quite as well as the Eagles have their Atlantic Sun League.....

The freshmen weren’t too bad this game when they actually got on the floor (like KK Arnold having a buzzer beater 3 to end Q3). The biggest problem for UConn right now is that most of our upperclassmen aren’t all that (except Paige). They play decent D, but don’t get a lot of O boards and miss a lot of open shots/easy baskets. There’s no consistency with the upperclassmen and I think mentally they aren’t very tough (for whatever reason, I can think of a lot of excuses). The freshmen need to play more IMO.
Geno still experimenting on rotations, especially the Bigs. Edwards and Brady should be on the floor together, but until Patterson is able to play after summer knee surgery, they don't have a third one to put in. Ducharme still struggling, and with Fudd out they are trying to integrate the 3 other freshmen in the guard rotation. With the outside shooting problems, Edwards is sometimes triple teamed resulting in turnovers. Not playing well right now, having to lean on defense. Rebounding huge problem .

Lol at UConn applying pressure in the half court trying to build a bigger lead in the 4th qtr.
It's called practice. Thats what good teams do in the last quarter when they are trying to work things out and the game is in hand. Thats why all the freshmen were on the court together, then a starter would go in, and then another. He was moving players in and out to try different combinations in real game situations. Most enlightened WBB fans would recognize this, but you aren't one of them.

Florida Gulf Coast is one of those very competitive mid-major teams that will rise up and bite a P5 program if that program is struggling or is not respecting the Eagles. Looks like it was the 1st scenario that caught the Wildcats, but not very surprising.

The Eagles regularly are a 30-game winning program that dominates their small conference and makes an appearance in the NCAAT annually. They are now 3-1 on the season and played this game on their home court....

South Carolina is about to take on a similar type opponent tomorrow at home in South Dakota State, although the Jackrabbits have not dominated the Summit League quite as well as the Eagles have their Atlantic Sun League.....
South Dakota State also has 4 (I think) key players out with injuries, so unfortunately for the Jackrabbits, I'm not sure that's a great comparison this season. They've historically been quite competitive in their series against South Carolina, but I wouldn't bet on that being the case tonight.

Better day of basketball yesterday than what we’ve seen since the opening weekend. It got away from the AAU hype sessions to actual efficient basketball. Outside of the Lady Vols, the most impressive performance was Louisville.
The Stanford v Duke game was really good for the sport yesterday.
However, I feel Stanford is a little overrated. Duke left points on the court yesterday and let a game they should’ve won slip away.

Outside of the Lady Vols w/o projected lottery pick Rickea J, Ace, and JP two other teams put up 100 pieces Iowa and Utah. On the other hand, Iowa nearly gave up a 100(90) to Drake and Utah gave up 72 to Eastern KY.

One of the worse performances I saw yesterday was the Minnesota v UConn game. Bad shooting by both teams. Pretty bad officiating as well.

With each game it’s getting clearer to see where TN stands among the best teams.

A healthy Rickea J and the continued play of the core which has scored 84 points and 100 points w/o one of the top 3 scorers in WCB is a great sign.
Enlighten fans as some of us can see it (TNs high scoring performances) as being an indication of an explosive and potent offensive juggernaut at full strength.
The LVs at full strength can score 80-90 against any team.
The areas that need improvement are consistency in tempo offensively which comes with Destinee Wells getting comfortable in the system and better management in adjustments made in the defensive system by the staff.
Not many teams in the country have a PG that can operate an offense by facilitating and getting either a good shot or pass for an assist at the level of Destinee Wells. She’s one of the quickest guards in WCB.
Tennessee is a Top 10 team once these improvements are implemented and they play at full strength.

Last edited:
Reactions: luballer
South Dakota State also has 4 (I think) key players out with injuries, so unfortunately for the Jackrabbits, I'm not sure that's a great comparison this season. They've historically been quite competitive in their series against South Carolina, but I wouldn't bet on that being the case tonight.
The teams have only played once before.

South Carolina previously had a three game run vs their rivals.

Michigan is getting good looks just not making baskets. I haven’t looked at the box score but they also seem to be getting a ton of offensive rebounds but can’t convert.
The score looks a lot worse than the actual game.
Not a strong performance by Ole Miss.

I’m satisfied with Tennessee ranking at this point.
They dropped a one point game on the road to a Top 15 team w/ a lead late in the game and multiple attempts to win in the final seconds.
Part of the lesson from that game is you can’t start slow and win on the road against quality opponents.
On the other hand, they won the previous two games without RJ and had strong offensive performances.
The rankings right now aren’t going to balance out until we get into conference play.

That is going to evolve a lot. Wouldn’t pay it any mind until February. No way there are 4 top 10 teams in the PAC-12. Not impressed from what I’ve seen.

I’m a Colorado fan and Colorado native. 0 chance they finish the regular season in the top 10. No way they are number 3. They are a quality, veteran team but the win over LSU shouldn’t have ballooned them that far up the rankings. Especially with all the turmoil at LsU.

SEC has taken some losses but has also played some good teams.

KState will drop back out within a few weeks. They aren’t a top 25 team, even with Lee back. Same for NcState. They just don’t look that good to me.

Also not impressed with UCONN, they were looking super one dimensional before Fudd went down, now they truly are. It’s Bueckers or bust.

That is going to evolve a lot. Wouldn’t pay it any mind until February. No way there are 4 top 10 teams in the PAC-12. Not impressed from what I’ve seen.

I’m a Colorado fan and Colorado native. 0 chance they finish the regular season in the top 10. No way they are number 3. They are a quality, veteran team but the win over LSU shouldn’t have ballooned them that far up the rankings. Especially with all the turmoil at LsU.

SEC has taken some losses but has also played some good teams.

KState will drop back out within a few weeks. They aren’t a top 25 team, even with Lee back. Same for NcState. They just don’t look that good to me.

Also not impressed with UCONN, they were looking super one dimensional before Fudd went down, now they truly are. It’s Bueckers or bust.

UConn’s defense is still elite; it’s just their offensive woes. Their ceiling will depend on matchups and how quickly their freshmen can mature. I wasn’t very impressed with UCLA. If Miles comes back, Notre Dame can make a late season run. It would give them the best backcourt in the nation imo.

Based on matchups, I can see the Lady Vols losing in the second round or making the Elite 8.

I agree VolBall09 the rankings haven’t balanced out. Tennessee certainly is improving.
The roster is built to evolve into a Top 5 team if they can get healthy and peak at the right time.
The transfers are rounding into form.. Jewel Spear will bounce back from yesterday’s performance after averaging 19 pts in the first 3 games. Destinee Wells looked strong and explosive as should score 18 pts. This is a player that scored 30 pts in 5 straight games last season and averaged 19.5 pts a game.
Jillian Hollingshead, Rickea Jackson, Jewel Spear, Destinee Wells, Sara Puckett, and Karoline Striplin are all capable of averaging dbl figures. All Top 100 recruits! Two former McD All-Americans, with a third McD All-American taking a redshirt year.
Wynn and Powell are the pieces that will take the team to the next level. If they can consistently bring energy, athleticism to create plays on the fast-break and in the half-court offense driving to the basket the LVs can win both the SEC and NCAA championships.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolBall09
UConn’s defense is still elite; it’s just their offensive woes. Their ceiling will depend on matchups and how quickly their freshmen can mature. I wasn’t very impressed with UCLA. If Miles comes back, Notre Dame can make a late season run. It would give them the best backcourt in the nation imo.

Based on matchups, I can see the Lady Vols losing in the second round or making the Elite 8.

Giving up 92 to NcState didn’t look very elite and I’m not impressed with NCState’s offense this season. Rivers had a tremendous individual effort and they couldn’t stop her. Otherwise NcState is pretty meh across the board.

VN Store

Back