Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Vanderbilt is terrible. 36 point first quarter pressing 0-5 terrible Alabama State and now a 6 point second quarter.

Pissott just loafs around on both ends. Won’t get a rebound, barely plays any defense. Venture inside the 3 point arc only to set screens. 2-2 from deep but looking very one dimensional. Transferring was a good plan for her. She wouldn’t get much playing time on this current Lady Vol roster based on what I’ve seen so far.

VolBall09, you are right there’s no way UConn is elite defensively at this point in the season.

I’ve come to a simple conclusion, no matter how poor of a performance other ranked teams have such as UConn, LSU, Utah, UCLA, Iowa, etc have some fans on here will never critique them the way they do Tennessee.
And if or when Tennessee play those teams they will speak as if Tennessee doesn’t even have the possibility to win despite them already being beaten or close to losing a game.

On the other hand, no matter what Tennessee does some proclaimed Vol fans will find ways to discredit them.
These two games w/o Rickea Jackson several other TN players have had career games and not much of anything was said by people who talk up other schools.
Go through this thread and if a former TN player does anything decent you will see 3 or more posts about their performance. A TN player does the same outside of RJ and there’s not much said by the same fans. And these former TN players aren’t doing this against any better competition.

We haven’t seen nothing yet though, starting Thursday even a Tennessee win will be met with endless disregard.
Just can’t take this stuff serious.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolBall09
That is going to evolve a lot. Wouldn’t pay it any mind until February. No way there are 4 top 10 teams in the PAC-12. Not impressed from what I’ve seen.

I’m a Colorado fan and Colorado native. 0 chance they finish the regular season in the top 10. No way they are number 3. They are a quality, veteran team but the win over LSU shouldn’t have ballooned them that far up the rankings. Especially with all the turmoil at LsU.

SEC has taken some losses but has also played some good teams.

KState will drop back out within a few weeks. They aren’t a top 25 team, even with Lee back. Same for NcState. They just don’t look that good to me.

Also not impressed with UCONN, they were looking super one dimensional before Fudd went down, now they truly are. It’s Bueckers or bust.

Also i have watched Baylor to, and to me they are not a top 15 team just not that good.

UConn’s defense is still elite; it’s just their offensive woes. Their ceiling will depend on matchups and how quickly their freshmen can mature. I wasn’t very impressed with UCLA. If Miles comes back, Notre Dame can make a late season run. It would give them the best backcourt in the nation imo.

Based on matchups, I can see the Lady Vols losing in the second round or making the Elite 8.

We can agree to disagree, Even if Miles come back they will not have the best bckcourt in the nation to me. Here is a list of teams i think have a better backourt UConn, FL ST, SC ,UCLA

Giving up 92 to NcState didn’t look very elite and I’m not impressed with NCState’s offense this season. Rivers had a tremendous individual effort and they couldn’t stop her. Otherwise NcState is pretty meh across the board.
Since that game held Maryland to 48 and Minnesota to 44. Why not look at all the games? First game, Dayton with 58.

Last edited:
Giving up 92 to NcState didn’t look very elite and I’m not impressed with NCState’s offense this season. Rivers had a tremendous individual effort and they couldn’t stop her. Otherwise NcState is pretty meh across the board.
It's true, UConn's defense sucked against NC St. They improved in the games against Maryland and Minnesota, but we will see if it continues.

UConn didn’t play good defense against Minnesota. Really didn’t have to.
At halftime the score was 26-23.
Would anyone of you say Minnesota was playing good defense against UConn?
Minnesota shot around 20% the entire game and missed wide open 3’s.
Minnesota hasn’t shot a high percentage all year. Based on the early season games, a lot of teams did a great job of scheduling.
Tennessee probably should start scheduling like other schools and play their toughest games at home and easy wins on the road.
The wins South Carolina has over Maryland and Notre Dame aren’t nearly as impressive as they have received credit for. Neither is the Colorado win over LSU.

UConn didn’t play good defense against Minnesota. Really didn’t have to. At halftime the score was 27-23 I believe.
Minnesota hasn’t shot a high percentage all year. Based on the early season games, a lot of teams did a great job of scheduling.
Tennessee probably should start scheduling like other schools and play their toughest games at home and easy wins on the road.
The wins South Carolina has over Maryland and Notre Dame aren’t nearly as impressive as they have received credit for. Neither is the Colorado win over LSU.

I actually did think Minnesotas defensive game plan was pretty good. They just couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn offensively. If they had hit even a third of the open threes they took complexion of what game would have been a lot different.

UCONN was content to stand in the paint and let them jack up 3s until they made some and they never really did.

The wins South Carolina has over Maryland and Notre Dame aren’t nearly as impressive as they have received credit for.
South Carolina and UConn beat Maryland by almost the exact same margin of victory.

SCar: 114-76 (MOV 38)
UConn: 80-48 (32)

And Maryland only just escaped losing to Syracuse by a basket. So I'd say clobbering MD is of equal value for both UConn and SCar.

Florida - 44 Prudue - 44 4th qt
Purdue is always sneaky competitive….jury is out on UF for this season but I like their coach. Outside of losing her PG to the portal this past season, and a rash of bad injuries in her early tenure, she seems capable, if given time, of being competitive in a very tough conference.

Last edited:
South Carolina and UConn beat Maryland by almost the exact same margin of victory.

SCar: 114-76 (MOV 38)
UConn: 80-48 (32)

And Maryland only just escaped losing to Syracuse by a basket. So I'd say clobbering MD is of equal value for both UConn and SCar.
I wonder if Syracuse is going to end up being a decent team this year, they have a great coach now and looked much improved.

Purdue is always sneaky competitive….jury is out on UF for this season but I like their coach. Outside of losing her PG to the portal this past season, she seems capable, if given time, of being competitive in a very tough conference.

I agree but the problem with FL is they don't know use there big's they don't get enough touches.

Reactions: Rooster1
Don't you know how scheduling works? When you schedule a team, it is usually home and home. You can't schedule the easy teams on the road and the hard teams at home. This year is the second game for UConns two game series with NCState, Texas, Notre Dame, South Carolina and Maryland. Two are at home, 3 on the road. You had Troy, Memphis, and FAMU at home, so those must be your hard teams. You keep saying that the LVOL players are mostly elite (RK is ), the team will win the SEC and NC this year. You also go out of your way to tear every other team down, and you know NOTHING about those teams except watching select games. Or you can be like Volball09 and get all your information from reading this forum, nothing first hand as he has admitted in the past. You should start learning from the very knowledgeable posters on this forum instead of criticizing them if they disagree with you. I said it before, grow up.

I would say Uconn played some good D in that game. Most of those those wide open threes you mention for Minn were actually contested or made to take from places that Uconn had schemed to make them shoot from. I watched that game, would surprise me if Minn is held below that point total again this season. They are not a great shooting team to begin with, and you have to know GA had his defense play to that aspect like any good coach would. Uconn is limited a bit defensively this season imo (post defense is going to be an issue all year as they are thin there and Edwards has to avoid foul trouble obviously) and their guards are not elite defensively, but as an overall team effort they are actually pretty good given the shortcomings in the lineup. Their coach knows how to outscheme most teams still.

Don't you know how scheduling works? When you schedule a team, it is usually home and home. You can't schedule the easy teams on the road and the hard teams at home. This year is the second game for UConns two game series with NCState, Texas, Notre Dame, South Carolina and Maryland. Two are at home, 3 on the road. You had Troy, Memphis, and FAMU at home, so those must be your hard teams. You keep saying that the LVOL players are mostly elite (RK is ), the team will win the SEC and NC this year. You also go out of your way to tear every other team down, and you know NOTHING about those teams except watching select games. Or you can be like Volball09 and get all your information from reading this forum, nothing first hand as he has admitted in the past. You should start learning from the very knowledgeable posters on this forum instead of criticizing them if they disagree with you. I said it before, grow up.

Talking through a keyboard at someone first thing gets you laughed at in my book.
I don’t take you or UConn serious enough to care this much about what you think personally of my opinion.
Not going to change my perspective.
And I’m not seeking an agreement or justification on a message board as you seem to be.
So let’s get that established.
Next thing, you don’t have to explain nothing to me about scheduling.
Schools break home and away arrangements especially out of convenience which has happened to Tennessee.
Tennessee over the years more times than not have played road games early in the season that weren’t ideal situations and that hasn’t been a good strategy especially with the injuries the last three seasons.
Although, come conference play they will be better for it.
Tennessee has had four players that were all projected as 1st rounders and a current lottery pick all get hurt during the non-conference schedule of the season in Jordan Horston, Tamari Key, Rae Burrell, and now Rickea Jackson.
Your basketball knowledge is nothing to gloat about.
You are talking about stuff that comes straight from social media and sports media hype.
UConn looked mediocre against Minnesota at best.

From what i hear it's an ankle like Tessa but Tessa still in a boot so only dressing 9 tonight
Thx dj…..something tells me MF is going to put on a show tonight with the added minutes in store for her…🚀. Hoping Feagin gets a good long look tonight also. Raven will be needed in extended PG duties tonight as well.

VN Store

Back