Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

If NC state does not beat UCONN while unranked and yet stayed undefeated minus the UCONN game or if they played someone else and beat them would they truly be #3 in the polls ? Anyone who beats UCONN gets an all of a sudden Launch up the polls as if UCONN is a top tier team lol smh.
NCST only went up to #12 after beating UConn, it was the win against #3 Colorado that got them that high in the rankings. Well deserved, imo.

I dont see POY this season watching clark , shes having to do to much and shooting 30+ shots while scoring 35-40 points should not be celebrated as NPOY. She's going to break the scoring record so its inevitable she will win the award again in, regardless of the team's output or anyone elses performance in the country. She's ESPN's pick so we will see her more so than others like "Brink or Watkins" smh.

NCST only went up to #12 after beating UConn, it was the win against #3 Colorado that got them that high in the rankings. Well deserved, imo.
Would Colorado have really been the #3 team without the LSU win ? Were they ever truly the 3rd best team in the country after beating #1 to open the season ? I get you want to reward them for the victory but being extra dramatic moving them to #3 asap will be something we look at during seasons end with perplexing mindsets lol . NCST as well imo. Teams start out great with a good win then conference starts and we see the real top talent.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
High school recruiting doesn’t matter, we have the portal, we’re good!

On another note, this 2023 freshman class has to be one of the most impressive classes I’ve seen in a longggg time! The girls came right out of high school and made an IMPACT!

IMG_2271.jpeg

High school recruiting doesn’t matter, we have the portal, we’re good!

On another note, this 2023 freshman class has to be one of the most impressive classes I’ve seen in a longggg time! The girls came right out of high school and made an IMPACT!

View attachment 600757

And Mikayla Williams might be as good or better than both but her team doesn’t need her to do as much. Such a fun class so far.

I don’t see how Juju won’t be FOY. Maybe player of the year if she keeps it up and they make a deep run. She’s tough.

Last edited:
Against all available evidence.
I can’t equate what’s she’s doing at Duke to what she might do at TN these young girls don’t know Kellie when the recruiter get these girls on campus and get to know CKH they can’t relate to her I believe they would relate to Kara at TN but I do want them to break away from the LV tree and hire a great coach who can recruit

And Mikayla Williams might be as good or better than both but her team doesn’t need her to do as much. Such a fun class so far.

I don’t see how Juju won’t be FOY. Maybe player of the year if she keeps it up and they make a deep run. She’s tough.
That freshman at Arkansas is no joke either. I think her name is Talia Scott. She's currently leading the SEC in scoring so she obviously can play the game pretty well.

Cal loses 78 to 70 to ranked Gonzaga in OT. Marta Suarez had 19 points and 10 rebounds. Marta is doing really well away from UT and Knoxville.
Of the players we've had transfer out lately, Marta is definitely having the most impact at her new school.

Seems to have overcome the injury bug. Starting and playing major minutes has been good for her.

What are the top upcoming games of the weekend?

Tennessee is rounding into shape.
Rickea Jackson is rehabbing for a major comeback.
Destinee Wells has arrived.. wiped you all favorite freshman nose on Nat’l TV!
The coach hasn’t had a shot maker like elite G Jewel Spear.. they still learning how to let a shooter shoot!
Jasmine Powell is a viable 4th option. I’ll take her as a 4th option that can play her role in getting TN to the Elite 8.

Kudos to Karoline Striplin and Kaiya Wynn for the improvements they have made to start their 3rd season.

Hopefully Sara Puckett and Jillian Hollingshead can get over the hump.
They don’t have to carry the team but they need to be consistent.
Tamari Key can still be a factor.
In all sports, there are teams who peak early and those who peak late.
Both have a 50/50 chance depending on “luck”.
Put those pom poms down.

I watched LSU dismantle Virginia Tech last night. Saw Arkansas spank Florida State. Found time for South Carolina and their neighbors to the north. Enjoyed all! Became concerned at some point and realized that the return of Jackson alone will not solve what ails us. Yes she will stop the bleeding this year. But we need an infusion of more atheletic and bigger players.

Our best offensive team seems to be Wells, Powell, Spear, Pucket, and Striplin. Hard working, dedicated women that deserve our support. However, three of those players will be smaller than their counterpart most nights. Additionally, outside of Powell we don't have a rebounder in that group. It's not a lack of desire, effort or commitment. Part of it seems to be a lack of quickness, arm and hand strength and jumping ability from a standing still position. Not sure if any of those skills can be corrected completely with strength and conditioning but that's a start. If you ever played the game you are familiar with rebounding machines and wrenching up the weight to pull a ball off the spring loaded arm. This is a fundamental basic basketball skill that (outside of Powell) we struggle with on every scrum under the rim.
Notre Dame realized this in our last game. Put in bigger stronger players and we lost.
"Part of it seems to be a lack of quickness, arm and hand strength and jumping ability from a standing still position. Not sure if any of those skills can be corrected completely with strength and conditioning but that's a start."
This sounds like a lack of development on our staffs part.

VN Store

Back