Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Somebody help me out what is wrong with predicting and no I’m not defending WC but we predict all the time. isn’t that predicting when preseason order of finish and preseason sec players are voted on by media.my only problem with WC is he or she may be a little too biased about the LVs and has a time or two down played the great play of SC. if that’s fandom to actually believe in your team so strongly so be it I’ve actually seen that with posters on the Boneyard with UCONN cause some of them are predicting a championship for them this year. again his or her prediction so be it
Predict without trashing would be a good start. WC, as you refer to is nothing but a biased trash talker who doesn't play on the team....lol.....trash talking from the sideline or on a forum is a bit silly at best. WC also likes to step outside of reality on almost all occasions. That is not predicting, that is ignoring the facts to fit your narrative.

Most interested to see Vanderbilt’s first few SEC games. Their record is so much better but they have a “save your job” schedule this season.

Only ranked team they played was NC State and it was a respectable loss on the road. Should have been more if NC State were more proficient from the FT stripe. Vandy had to foul a lot to defend the athleticism of NC State.
Seems it hasn't hurt them that much 56 in the NET virtually playing no one. Tennessee 97 have played many top teams haven't won any. I think I like the Vanderbilt plan the best hype up that record then take your chances in the SEC. They could beat a lot of the current SEC teams at home and if they steal a road game or two they might have a outside shot at an NCAA invite. It was good strategy for them and would've been better strategy for Tennessee with so many question marks going into the season.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Seems it hasn't hurt them that much 56 in the NET virtually playing no one. Tennessee 97 have played many top teams haven't won any. I think I like the Vanderbilt plan the best hype up that record then take your chances in the SEC. They could beat a lot of the current SEC teams at home and if they steal a road game or two they might have a outside shot at an NCAA invite. It was good strategy for them and would've been better strategy for Tennessee with so many question marks going into the season.

Yep, it’s a Mulkey schedule. The net really doesn’t reward you for playing a tough schedule. It rewards you for winning.

Yep, it’s a Mulkey schedule. The net really doesn’t reward you for playing a tough schedule. It rewards you for winning.
Sort of. I mean, Tennessee was #15 in the NET last year with 12 losses, and Oregon was #19 with 15 losses. It's also about being competitive in losses and dominating in the games you should win - at least that's how I see how LSU ended up #3 in the NET last year.

Predict without trashing would be a good start. WC, as you refer to is nothing but a biased trash talker who doesn't play on the team....lol.....trash talking from the sideline or on a forum is a bit silly at best. WC also likes to step outside of reality on almost all occasions. That is not predicting, that is ignoring the facts to fit your narrative.
Well this is a Tennessee board so balanced posting is not required. Sounds a bit like your ox was gored.

Well this is a Tennessee board so balanced posting is not required. Sounds a bit like your ox was gored.
I been a member since 2008 which is 11 years longer than you, so I know it's a Tennessee board. This is also a "non lady vol basketball" thread and I do post with respect but also with honesty.

Announcers for Cal/Stanford game said a halftime feature on Marta Suarez will air during halftime (in 1:18 sec). They described it as a "heart wrenching" piece. Should be interesting.

Edit: Halftime beginning now.

Edit 2: Game is a replay, so no halftime show. Sorry!

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
USC has a talented team but way too much one on one basketball. Only 7 assists for the game for SC.
Watkins, while very talented, shot 7 of 24 from the field. Too many forced shots.
Offensively, UCLA played more as a team. The rematch, at USC, will be interesting.
I watched the game. USC has some grit, but there are losses on the horizon. Anytime two players are responsible for 80% of a team’s scoring there will be off nights. Watkins is good, but she is a volume shooter and the Trojans rely on her to play one on one too much. That rarely ends well in the big games unless the player is named Clark, and as good as JuJu is, she is not that level of good, at least not yet. UCLA is a handful for sure, but they showed some cracks tonight as well.

If I was pressed this early to predict the top four teams by seasons end, for the #1 tourney seeds, I would have to lean on who I believe will win their conference championships from the big 5 conferences with the least amount of losses. That is not easy at this point, especially since I believe there will be no undefeated teams this season or many if any one loss teams. WBB has reached a new level of competitiveness across the board imo.

Having said that disclaimer, I would lean heavily on UCLA winning the PAC12 and a 1 seed. I would also lean heavily on Iowa winning the B1G, they are getting great play from more than just Clark and look like the team nobody wants to play going forward. They will also be a one seed at season end imo. That leaves the winners from the B12, SEC and ACC for the final two #1 seeds. Baylor looks good so far from the B12, esp now that Harmon was lost for TX, but I think this is the conference without a top seed. In the SEC either SC or LSU should lock down one of the remaining top seeds, it’s possible this is the only conference with 2 top seeds. From the ACC the only real hope for a top seed would be either ND or NCSU and tbh I have doubts either is deep enough to do so. The winner of the ACC will likely have too many losses for a top seed imo so that goes back to the possibility of LSU and SC both getting 1 seeds should they both be ranked in the top 4-5 at seasons end.

My early bet is UCLA, Iowa, SC and LSU with Baylor, NCSU, ND and UConn as the potential other best shot candidates. I don’t think USCal has the depth to get through a season ranked in the top 5-8 by seasons end and I feel the same about the ACC schools as well as Baylor. Uconn is not out of it yet but they prob would need an upset W @ SC and run their conference.

I watched the game. USC has some grit, but there are losses on the horizon. Anytime two players are responsible for 80% of a team’s scoring there will be off nights. Watkins is good, but she is a volume shooter and the Trojans rely on her to play one on one too much. That rarely ends well in the big games unless the player is named Clark, and as good as JuJu is, she is not that level of good, at least not yet. UCLA is a handful for sure, but they showed some cracks tonight as well.
Watkins is on anyone’s level, it’s not like she has the ball in her hands 90% of the time like Clark does, she has no problem sharing the spotlight while still playing her game, that’s the reason Kennedy smith is going there because of her unselfishness, name an elite recruit that went to Iowa to play with Clark, I can’t think of none and I wonder why.

USC has a talented team but way too much one on one basketball. Only 7 assists for the game for SC.
Watkins, while very talented, shot 7 of 24 from the field. Too many forced shots.
Offensively, UCLA played more as a team. The rematch, at USC, will be interesting.

If USC is looking for just Watkins to carry the load that's not gonna work against the better teams. She will need help also they have no bench none.

Majors you folks talk up anything and just about anybody at that.
Good luck to the player signing with Ohio State. This is a good moment for them and they earned it. Nothing against them. I just don’t nearly see this big deal about it. People need to stop doing this to HS athletes though. It rarely ever ends up the way the public or the few made it out to be. Tennessee will survive to the poster that is trying to make this a MOMENT. Tennessee been around far too long to justify any player, coach, or defeat in this way and its extremely desperate to try to get a point across which is irrelevant on a message board about a HS player signing to a college with what ???? zero tradition. But I guess beating Tennessee last year and this year in November/December makes Ohio State relevant. I see your point now.

And nobody will ever mistaken Ohio State for Tennessee though.

Tennessee I might add, did the same thing in Ohio, Michigan, Texas, Virginia, Las Vegas, SC etc. went into those areas and sign one (or more) of their best players year in and year out.

No amount of yapping will ever exceed the majority of success this program has and will have in this sport. It just means nothing to keep trying to point out meaningless situations like this that can’t take away from Tennessee.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfaninfl2
If USC is looking for just Watkins to carry the load that's not gonna work against the better teams. She will need help also they have no bench none.
She doesn’t have to carry them, Forbes is a big time player, and 2 players can carry u a long way. That’s why my hope is for Rickea and Spear to carry us by having big games at the same time.

She doesn’t have to carry them, Forbes is a big time player, and 2 players can carry u a long way. That’s why my hope is for Rickea and Spear to carry us by having big games at the same time.
Look at USCw’s bench production on the season. They get almost nothing. They cannot afford an injury or foul trouble to any starter, or even an off night by one of the only two scorers. Not deep enough for any kind of sustained run this year and too beholden to luck. Heck, 3 of the starters barely even shoot the ball.

Reactions: djtee
Look at USCw’s bench production on the season. They get almost nothing. They cannot afford an injury or foul trouble to any starter, or even an off night by one of the only two scorers. Not deep enough for any kind of sustained run this year and too beholden to luck. Heck, 3 of the starters barely even shoot the ball.
U can win without great bench production, u just need them to step up in certain moments when needed.

Watkins is on anyone’s level, it’s not like she has the ball in her hands 90% of the time like Clark does, she has no problem sharing the spotlight while still playing her game, that’s the reason Kennedy smith is going there because of her unselfishness, name an elite recruit that went to Iowa to play with Clark, I can’t think of none and I wonder why.
Did you watch the game vs UCLA? Yes she is good, but that team relies on her to one on one most of the game, and she went 7-24 often forcing shots. She will get better obviously and is already the #2 scorer in WBB, but as a team, they have exactly one other scorer on that team, the other three starters barely even shoot. The bench? Nothing there yet. It won’t take long for teams to scheme USCw this season. And if you noticed, against UCLA, she was bringing the ball up court a bunch, had her hands on it too much tbh, trying to be super woman. Her handles are not great, she lost the ball a bunch and should not be trying to PG it so much.

Other than Clark, an Iowa native, what great super star players has Iowa EVER recruited? Kennedy Smith is going to USC because she is a Cali girl, it was gonna be them or another Cal team imo though she did give SC a hard look.

Last edited:
Did you watch the game vs UCLA? Yes she is good, but that team relies on her to one on one most of the game, and she went 7-24 often forcing shots. She will get better obviously and is already the #2 scorer in WBB, but as a team, they have exactly one other scorer on that team, the other three starters barely even shoot. The bench? Nothing there yet. It won’t take long for teams to scheme USCw this season.

Other than Clark, an Iowa native, what great super star players has Iowa EVER recruited? Kennedy Smith is going to USC because she is a Cali girl, it was gonna be them or another Cal team imo though she did give SC a hard look.
Of course I watched, those are 2 of the 4 teams I watch every game, she had a bad shooting night like every player does. The bench will hurt some nights but it won’t kill them if the 2 of them are going off. U can scheme all u want, when you’re an elite player like Juju, the game is on u.

VN Store

Back