Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

You're in my head I was just about to post about this. I am happy for her, was sad to see her transfer out.

Same here, there was a bit of a log jam at her position. I think it was for the best for all parties. We can see Puckett struggling with where she fits, same with Striplin and Hollingshed to a degree.

Marta was smart to find a team that needed her unique combination of guard/forward skills.

Funny...Marta hit a layup and was fouled and she absolutely roared at the opposing player while looking directly at her. Three times more demonstrative than Tess when she got that costly technical that ended up providing the final margin of victory for our opponent. Just shows the impact of different officiating.

I agree with feeling happy for Marta. She started off great here before being injured. Then re-injured; then her mom's illness...just devastating physically and emotionally and put her behind others depth wise. At Cal, she plays major minutes and is encouraged to be a primary scoring option. Plays solid defense, too, and has a swagger like we saw in her all-SEC freshman year.

She can back down smaller guards and has good footwork and some nifty moves. What impressed me most were her off-the- ball moves. Marta sets good picks and screens and immediately rolls or flashes to the basket afterward. If the lane closes, pops back out above the free throw line without hesitation. Cal clears out the lane well for hard cuts and back doors, and that's so Marta's cup of tea.

Although she faded on her last three or four shots, she was instrumental in the win. Seemed so happy and excited and looked to be directing the comments in the post-game team huddle at mid-court. Nice to see her injury-free and in a situation that can give her more playing time and allow her to embrace the leadership role the Cal staff wants her to take.

As others have said, the logjam at her position at UT along with injuries held her back. No one to blame. But great to see her smiling and having success...she's due for some good breaks

Who would have had Vandy as 1 of 4 SEC teams 2 0 after 1st 2 SEC games? Wonder if Vandy will be close to ranked if they go 4 and 0. They do have UK Missouri and Auburn before they come to TBA 1/21.
If they start off 4-0 in the conference that would put them at 16-1 if my math is correct. They would have to be ranked if that happens I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
Vandy cannot beat Tennessee, LSU, SC, or Ole Miss. But, it will be nice to see them at least be competitive against the rest of the league. Always losing isn't fun, and to be able to enter some games with a chance to win gives the players a sense of pride and hope.

Vandy cannot beat Tennessee, LSU, SC, or Ole Miss. But, it will be nice to see them at least be competitive against the rest of the league. Always losing isn't fun, and to be able to enter some games with a chance to win gives the players a sense of pride and hope.
Vandy has been a good story for WBB this season thus far. As for OM, they gave LSU a game yesterday, kudos for the effort. But their shooting percentages on the season are horrendous from all areas and you have to think it is going to bite them several times even with their good defense.

Last edited:
Vandy has been a good story for WBB this season thus far. As for OM, they gave LSU a game yesterday, kudos for the effort. But their shooting percentages on the season are horrendous from all areas and you have to think it is going to bite them several times even with their good defense.

OM has a bunch of athletes and no basketball players. Nobody on that team right now has a pretty shot. Davis is a motor and gets it done the hard way, but not a single one of them can shoot.

They are really missing Angel Baker’s ability to create and shoot from mid-range to three.

Too early to say whether they can or cannot win any of those games. The way OM shoots I would not discount Vandy much in that matchup and you never know with the other games, they did not play as well against NCSU as the score might lead one to believe but they seem to be capable this season of playing with most teams.

Who can outlast who for the most wins ever. That is going to be interesting to see which coach can keep going longer than the other one.
Yes I thought about that. Longevity will eventually win out. lt's extra challenging to hang in now given the constant recruiting required by portal, NIL, etc. I just hope the old guard like Tara, Geno, and C Viv (who looked good while being honored at Rutgers over the weekend) get to leave on their own terms when they're ready. So sad that Pat did not get that choice.

VN Store

Back