Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Not wanting to jinx my team, but I believe if they win the next 3 SEC regular season conference games they will tie the SEC record by UT of 36 straight. They last lost such a game in Dec of 2021 at Mizzou in OT and would need to win at LSU on 1/25 of this year to break the record. Imagine the streak had they not lost that improbable game at Mizzo, something like 65 now. Btw, they had gotten up to 31 straight several years ago when they lost at UT if everyone remembers. I probably just messed up their chances by mentioning it. That’s how it works with my fav teams…🤨

Last edited:
Not wanting to jinx my team, but I believe if they win the next 3 SEC regular season conference games they will tie the SEC record by UT of 36 straight. They last lost such a game in Dec of 2021 at Mizzou in OT and would need to win at LSU on 1/25 of this year to break the record. Imagine the streak had they not lost that improbable game at Mizzo, something like 65 now. Btw, they had gotten up to 31 straight several years ago when they lost at UT if everyone remembers. I probably just messed up their chances by mentioning it. That’s how it works with my fav teams…🤨
Are you only counting regular season wins? We lost an SEC tournament to KY later that same season

Reactions: chuckiepoo
UNC getting manhandled by FSU.

That ND win only happened because Westbeld was out. No way they should be in the top 25.

Idk how beating a so so ND team minus their best interior player moved North Carolina up 6 spots in the poll.

Voters love Banghart.

Well, Vandy looks like the real deal. They have dealt with some adversity and are playing great.

Ralph did a great job with their schedule, allowed them to work through things and get confident playing together for SEC play.

Pissott not looking any better individually imo but you know she’s feeling good on a 15-1 team playing well in the same conference she transferred within.

Well, Vandy looks like the real deal. They have dealt with some adversity and are playing great.

Ralph did a great job with their schedule, allowed them to work through things and get confident playing together for SEC play.

Pissott not looking any better individually imo but you know she’s feeling good on a 15-1 team playing well in the same conference she transferred within.
Iyana Moore and Cambridge change that whole team. It’s not funny how big of a loss those 2 were. With them out she found her other “players” Good team. Good buy in. Should be a fun game for us. They are basically Florida 2.0 imo just slightly better

Mississippi State gets the win over Arkansas on the road w/o the Razorbacks leading scorer 66-63.

WinnerCircle SEC Primetime Top 5 Power Rankings:

1. SC 2. LSU tie Tenn 4. Ole Miss 5. Alabama

This group has separated themselves during the start of SEC play.
Alabama had some question marks after dropping their first SEC game to OM and only scoring 45 points. Since that game they have played solid basketball. No team in the SEC can out score Tennessee. This team has not came within reaching its ceiling. I believe they are way ahead of schedule considering the injuries and non-conference schedule.

Reactions: Lucy
Mississippi State gets the win over Arkansas on the road w/o the Razorbacks leading scorer 66-63.

Alabama had some question marks after dropping their first SEC game to OM and only scoring 45 points. Since that game they have played solid basketball. No team in the SEC can out score Tennessee. This team has not came within reaching its ceiling. I believe they are way ahead of schedule considering the injuries and non-conference schedule.
👑
USC
LSU

HIGH TEIR
UT
OLE MISS
VANDY

HIGH MID
BAMA
FLORIDA

MID
MISSISSIPPI STATE
ARKANSAS

LOW
TEXAS AM
KENTUCKY
AUBURN
GEORGIA
MIZZOU

Last edited:
👑
USC
LSU

HIGH TEIR
UT
VANDY
OLE MISS

HIGH MID
BAMA
FLORIDA

MID
MISSISSIPPI STATE
ARKANSAS

LOW
TEXAS AM
KENTUCKY
AUBURN
GEORGIA
MIZZOU

Tennessee is not in a category below any SEC team. Style points mean absolutely nothing at this point and being undefeated in conference play w/o playing a complete game speaks for itself.

Tennessee is not in a category below any SEC team. Style points mean absolutely nothing at this point and being undefeated in conference play w/o playing a complete game speaks for itself.
I think we have the pieces just not ready for us there yet for the same reason Bama is a tier lower than Ole Miss…

Personally I think we’ll have a very strong showing vers both LSU and USC. But rn they control the games better than us. We keep getting better tho

I think we have the pieces just not ready for us there yet for the same reason Bama is a tier lower than Ole Miss…

Personally I think we’ll have a very strong showing vers both LSU and USC. But rn they control the games better than us. We keep getting better tho

Tennessee hasn’t reached its ceiling as a team. They can beat any team in the SEC head to head. The way the team performs from game to game can’t be predetermined..

Reactions: VolFuture
We don't know anything about Tennessee yet, They beat the worst team in the SEC by 18 at home after struggling for half the game then beat 2 of the next three worst teams in the SEC by 8 and 7 points.

I am interested to see how they compete with teams in the top 10 of the league.

Last edited:

I’m glad UT gets LSU at UT this year and will be pulling for them as I do in all games outside of the SC game(s). I think UT can win that game but will have to avoid getting down early as has been the pattern lately. LSU would be more difficult to dig out of that type of hole.

LV’s will need Key and also Jill featured in that game imo to protect the rim against LSU’s smaller but athletic front court of Reese and Morrow. I like Strip, but she would struggle against those two in the paint protecting the rim. Reese and Morrow are a terror duo on the offensive boards and on post shots. Reese is getting almost half her points lately from the FT line as she knows how to draw fouls and she is nailing her FT’s. If Puckett has to guard Morrow, that won’t go so well, hence why Jill may be very important. Have to watch foul trouble for the UT bigs here, prob not a good matchup game for Puckett or Strip tbh. Need Key and Jill to show out defensively or it could be rough down low in this one.

Outside of the post matchups, I do like UT’s backcourt of Powell and Spear against HVL and FJ. Spear would have to play some solid defense on FJ who has taken her offensive game up a notch, but she could get some help from others there esp when FJ goes to the rim as she often does. Powell could abuse HVL in this game, hopefully her shots are falling, HVL is not a good defender. Spear should be able to match FJ, I’d call that matchup a push.

Williams is going to be someone that UT needs to find a reliable defender for, she is basically playing the 3 for LSU and has a lightning quick release on her shots. RJ will prob start on her defensively and has length on her, UT needs RJ’s best defensive effort in this one. Williams cannot guard RJ imo, she is average at best defensively so advantage UT in that matchup.

The game will come down to how well UT can defend Reese and Morrow in the paint without getting in foul trouble and whether Spear can keep FJ in check, as UT will likely win the matchup between RJ and Williams at the 3 and Powell should be able to exploit HVL. I also note that LSU is down to a 6 player rotation, so UT has the advantage in depth here. Last note, on coaching. KM will be relentlessly working the refs, which can impact games as we know, KH needs to keep pace in this one.

Apologize for the long ramble, had many thoughts on this future game. Lots of basketball before then, so it’s still early.

Last edited:
I’m glad UT gets LSU at UT this year and will be pulling for them as I do in all games outside of the SC game(s). I think UT can win that game but will have to avoid getting down early as has been the pattern lately. LSU would be more difficult to dig out of that type of hole.

LV’s will need Key and also Jill featured in that game imo to protect the rim against LSU’s smaller but athletic front court of Reese and Morrow. I like Strip, but she would struggle against those two in the paint protecting the rim. Reese and Morrow are a terror duo on the offensive boards and on post shots. Reese is getting almost half her points lately from the FT line as she knows how to draw fouls and she is nailing her FT’s. If Puckett has to guard Morrow, that won’t go so well, hence why Jill may be very important. Have to watch foul trouble for the UT bigs here, prob not a good matchup game for Puckett or Strip tbh. Need Key and Jill to show out defensively or it could be rough down low in this one.

Outside of the post matchups, I do like UT’s backcourt of Powell and Spear against HVL and FJ. Spear would have to play some solid defense on FJ who has taken her offensive game up a notch, but she could get some help from others there esp when FJ goes to the rim as she often does. Powell could abuse HVL in this game, hopefully her shots are falling, HVL is not a good defender. Spear should be able to match FJ, I’d call that matchup a push.

Williams is going to be someone that UT needs to find a reliable defender for, she is basically playing the 3 for LSU and has a lightning quick release on her shots. RJ will prob start on her defensively and has length on her, UT needs RJ’s best defensive effort in this one. Williams cannot guard RJ imo, she is average at best defensively so advantage UT in that matchup.

The game will come down to how well UT can defend Reese and Morrow in the paint without getting in foul trouble and whether Spear can keep FJ in check, as UT will likely win the matchup between RJ and Williams at the 3 and Powell should be able to exploit HVL. I also note that LSU is down to a 6 player rotation, so UT has the advantage in depth here. Last note, on coaching. KM will be relentlessly working the refs, which can impact games as we know, KH needs to keep pace in this one.

Apologize for the long ramble, had many thoughts on this future game. Lots of basketball before then, so it’s still early.
Great breakdown, thanks. I actually think Strip could have a big role in this one. Strip could be fouls to give, and she doesn't mind giving them. We learned this summer while Angel loves to dish out rough play, she does not like to take it. Strip can give valuable bully mins.

It's Morrow I'm worried about.

In the last two games :

Tenn. over Fla by 7 at home, Vandy over Fla by 6 at home.
Tenn over Kentucky by 18 at home, Vandy over Kentucky by 22 on the road.
I know that Vandy has to play really good to beat Tenn, but is it possible?
I believe that the schedule Ralph put forth to give the team confidence is paying off. The Kentucky win really surprised me, not that they won but by the margin.
I don't know if Vandy can stay with Tenn, but I think the pre-game noise will be higher than it has in years.

In the last two games :

Tenn. over Fla by 7 at home, Vandy over Fla by 6 at home.
Tenn over Kentucky by 18 at home, Vandy over Kentucky by 22 on the road.
I know that Vandy has to play really good to beat Tenn, but is it possible?
I believe that the schedule Ralph put forth to give the team confidence is paying off. The Kentucky win really surprised me, not that they won but by the margin.
I don't know if Vandy can stay with Tenn, but I think the pre-game noise will be higher than it has in years.
It was clear last year that Ralph is a very good coach who learned from a great coach (ugh, there I said it).

Kyra Elzy had to dismiss a player this week, a backup to Petty who had been suspended for the last month. She has just had so much trouble stabilizing that program.

Petty had a monster game, a 20/20 double double against Vandy. Makes TK total shutdown of her even more impressive.

Great breakdown, thanks. I actually think Strip could have a big role in this one. Strip could be fouls to give, and she doesn't mind giving them. We learned this summer while Angel loves to dish out rough play, she does not like to take it. Strip can give valuable bully mins.

It's Morrow I'm worried about.
Williams vs RJ at the 3, I think we can agree RJ wins that one. Reese and Morrow in the paint and on the boards….gonna take all of UT’s depth here and likely need Key and Jill to protect the rim against that onslaught with blocks and altered shots, Puck and Strip likely not athletic enough against those two, would prob give up several put backs and “and 1’s”. Reese is feasting at the FT line btw, look at their box scores. Somehow Key and company have to cut into their offensive putbacks and alter their shots. UT should be fine in the 1 and 2 matchups unless Jewell lets FJ go wild. Just my opinion, and as I stated above, UT has the depth advantage and home court advantage here, just cannot afford going into an early hole against an opponent of this quality.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back