Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

These freshmen have been incredible this year! I’ve yet to get to see her play! I guess I’ll have to wait until the tournament! 🥲 hate we can’t get a good high school recruit to come in and completely change the trajectory of this program. It should be such an easy sale.
I’ve watch every game she played so far, hope u get to see her play soon. I don’t know when we will get a player like this from high school. Maybe Finley Chastain will be that player for us and if she stays committed, but that’s 3 years away.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and dlhx
Poor Rooster ....You're always kind to this struggling program and you give a little praise to your home team and "wham"
200w.gif

Before Watkins, the last SEC players to dunk in a game were Tennessee’s Parker and LSU’s Sylvia Fowles, who each played college ball from 2004-08. Fowles recorded one dunk in her collegiate career, while Parker had two. Michelle Snow of Tennessee dunked three times between 1998-02.

In the interest of reminding fans about history and historical events.

Candance Parker's two dunks came in the same game. I was in attendace in 2006 at Old Dominion University in a NCAA tournament game against the USMA at West Point. Parker was such a force!

However, Maggie Dixon the 28 year old head coach of the the USMA would die from a heart issue less than two weeks later. Reminding us in the end how fragile life is and that we should enjoy everyday we are given.

Maggie Dixon had been Doug Bruno's assistant at DePaul. Maggie's brother is Jamie Dixon the former head coach at Pittsburg until 2016 when he became the head coach at TCU.

I really don't think any Lady Vol fan can begrudge another teams dunk after SOOOO MANY have reminded me of:

Point minorly taken, but apples and oranges.

Last night happened during a historic beat down against an opponent who has been struggling all season.

The clip above featured WBB's two premier programs at the height of their bitter rivalry. Top-ranked teams. Iconic coaches. Multiple championships. Recruiting wars. Public taunting. Two fan bases that absolutely hated each other's programs.

Not just a different animal...an entirely different jungle.

One game featured two gladiators. The other featured unarmed Christians vs. lions

As for the dunk itself, I wonder if it would have happened had KY's players not pulled up to concede the layup. Myself never having dunked, I do appreciate Watkins being able to get above the rim.

Point minorly taken, but apples and oranges.

Last night happened during a historic beat down against an opponent who has been struggling all season.

The clip above featured WBB's two premier programs at the height of their bitter rivalry. Top-ranked teams. Iconic coaches. Multiple championships. Recruiting wars. Public taunting. Two fan bases that absolutely hated each other's programs.

Not just a different animal...an entirely different jungle.

One game featured two gladiators. The other featured unarmed Christians vs. lions

As for the dunk itself, I wonder if it would have happened had KY's players not pulled up to concede the layup. Myself never having dunked, I do appreciate Watkins being able to get above the rim.
Man those were the good days! 🥹🥲 such a fun rivalry! All the material was there to make it SO INTENSE!

Saw this on another site:

”The Kentucky women’s basketball team tonight suffered their 2nd worst loss to a Division I opponent in program history (62 points) (lost to Tennessee by 72 points on January 21st, 2001)”

Tennessee Lady Vols beat the brakes off the Kentucky team in 2001
Score 110-38

Pat didn't let up

Go Lady Vols..
Oh there were plenty of epic beatdowns. Ask Jim Foster about the one Pat put on him in the SEC tourney. Not much you can do in basketball, you're not going to stop scoring. As long as everyone gets plenty of mins its ok. But I still don't love games like that, bc there are real humans on the other end of the beatdown and it is soul crushing and humiliating no matter the "life lesson" crap that gets spilled.

I actually haven't seen anyone beef w SC's margin, and not even the dunk. What set me off was the expectation I might glory in SC's greatness and have fun watching the beatdown. Many will, and that's fine. But not me, not being still so raw off the bitter disappointment of our game (and season), the fact that our Kyra was the one getting massacred, and most of all, knowing our turn on the chopping block is coming up twice. None of that made me want to tune in and share the wonder and awe.

Last edited:
Man, something set off a bunch of deep thoughts....geeze, I was just pointing out a game with some excellent basketball the other night.
Yeah, the collapse of our season, one my game buddy and I were really looking forward to before she goes off to college. The disappointment is sports real. Plus I'm naturally a bitter bitch. Just not feeling the fun you were encouraging. Hard to see anything but our head on that bloody chopping block, twice.

But that's just me. And I should, and will, stay off this thread esp during SC games. Enjoy your ride on the top of the mountain, you're going to be there for awhile.

Last edited:
Oh there were plenty of epic beatdowns. Ask Jim Foster about the one Pat put on him in the SEC tourney. Not much you can do in basketball, you're not going to stop scoring. As long as everyone gets plenty of mins its ok. But I still don't love games like that, bc there are real humans on the other end of the beatdown and it is soul crushing and humiliating no matter the "life lesson" crap that gets spilled.

I actually haven't seen anyone beef w SC's margin, and not even the dunk. What set me off was the expectation I might glory in SC's greatness and have fun watching the beatdown. Many will, and that's fine. But not me, not being still so raw off the bitter disappointment of our game (and season), the fact that our Kyra was the one getting massacred, and most of all, knowing our turn on the chopping block is coming up twice. None of that made me want to tune in and share the wonder and awe.
I just enjoy watching basketball men's and women's,though I really want the Lady Vols to win every game they play, doesn't mean I can't observe or comment about other great teams..

I understand what you're saying, exactly the same thing other teams fans said about Lady Vols in the 80's,90's and first decade of the 2000's ..

It's tough looking at it from other side of the fence ,when Tennessee was on the painted side all those years..

Have a good day and always Go Lady Vols..

I just enjoy watching basketball men's and women's,though I really want the Lady Vols to win every game they play, doesn't mean I can't observe or comment about other great teams.
Yeah I usually can enjoy others, most of the time. But not right now. I'd feel the same w any team this far above us that we have to play on the regular. But that's a me problem and as I said, I just need to stay off this thread during their games.
I understand what you're saying, exactly the same thing other teams fans said about Lady Vols in the 80's,90's and first decade of the 2000's ..
Oh I remember it well. Everyone was SO sick of everything Lady Vol and St. Pat, as they called her. And I realize the SC fans are relatively new to this, so genuinely think everyone else is equally enchanted, as opposed to sickened. It's just a brutal reminder how far behind the curve we are, and how unlikely we are to catch up anytime soon. WBB is still very much a place where the rich get richer, and SC's pipeline overflowth.

LOL I own every ounce of the jealousy.

I think the point you are missing is that some of us have the opinion that excellent basketball is played against top opposition not against an inferior opponent.
I'd have to disagree. In fact, sometimes it's hard not to play down to the opposition. Sustained good execution by superior talent is excellent bball to me anytime. I just can't stand to watch SC do it right now, much less find it fun.

I think the point you are missing is that some of us have the opinion that excellent basketball is played against top opposition not against an inferior opponent.
I know, I have become accustomed to SC playing excellent basketball against Uconn for awhile now......Once you get 3 or more in a row they call it a streak...

Last edited:

They just lost a player to an ACL, but I've never seen this. Didn't know you could if you can suit up 5 or 6. I guess these are forfeits?

This is BS. They need to play the games they have scheduled if they have enough players to suit up. Tired of people taking the easy way out. Slap in the face to those young women on his team who are healthy and can play. He’s essentially saying they aren’t good enough and just throwing in the towel on THEIR season.

Reminds me of schools like Duke and Vandy who didn’t play during covid. Seemed an unfair advantage.

Injuries are awful but every team deals with them. At the very least forfeiting games like this should automatically remove you from ncaa tournament consideration.

I guess that means none of the Husky Big East conference games qualify as a match that Uconn can play excellent in due to the opponents. I get it, the conference is pretty much trash, not UConn’s fault. Btw, UK isn’t far off of a Creighton or Marquette who are both struggling to stay relevant as the season progresses.

VN Store

Back