Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

SC has been bringing a fan bus to Tennessee since Dawn got there. Took one to Duke and UNC also. In fact, they bring several bus loads.

That said, the Lady Vols are in charge of their own destiny. Good luck the rest of the way except when you play the Gamecocks.

That’s good for SC program. Safe travels on the trip and good luck the rest of the season.
Hopefully the LVs can keep winning in SEC play and make this game another important one for the fans/conference.
Tennessee just put 9000+ in the stands when Vandy aka candy came to Knoxville, despite traveling being affected by snow.. Feb. 15th could be epic.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Maybe. But again you will be playing a UConn team without 5 of their top 8 players. We will start our 1,3,4,9, and 10 player options. We will play hard and do all we can to win. You will see effort on both ends of the court and I will not be embarrassed by a loss. I am proud of our young ladies. I have seen too much life to have any ego attached to any game played anywhere. You will continue to embarrass yourself by proclaiming the 'excellence' of playing against outmatched opponents and touting your record with only 2 national championships and no undefeated seasons as your standard.
Projected # tournament teams per conference, gratz to Big least for edging out the Mountain West conference (though I have my doubts Marquette will get in). And no, Edwards was never your #3 player, get real. She is way more important to UConn than Fudd who last I checked cannot man the post. You are just talking nonsense, Edwards is literally irreplaceable this season for UConn’s team. She was always #2.

ACC 9
Big Ten 9
SEC 8
Pac-12 7
Big 12 5
Big LEast 3
Mountain West 2

* Don't kid yourself @NeedOrange Uconn built their empire on the backs of countless sacrificial lambs from their pitiful conference members over the years. Conferences where they never lost a game, 100 wins in a row?….Get that weak sauce out of here already, don't you have a game with Mount St. Mary coming up to get ready for?

UConn had their run of greatness, nobody denies that, will likely never be matched, but had they played in a P5 conference all those years you can be assured some or all of those unblemished marks would not exist. It’s a whole different animal they have never had to navigate. Credit to them for OOC scheduling all these years being in the top 5 there, but it’s not the same as trying to get through a 16-18 game schedule of conference foes that typically have 6-9 tourney teams. It wears down most teams over the course of a season. Again, good luck this year in the BE, should be challenging and I am sure you will face some environments like at LSU along the way, perhaps Seton Hall? You have one real test left all year, in Columbia, let’s see how it goes.

Last edited:
Lol you are dreaming Rocky Top is different! Spear, Jackson, Cardoso, and Johnson will be the best PLAYERS on the court if all are playing at 100%. Tamari Key is the X-Factor.
Just cause a player plays on a more successful team, doesn’t mean they are a better Individual player. And stats are misleading too before you go posting numbers.
Since Rickea’s return not including her recent setback with asthma and the Texas A&M game where it’s well reported most of the team was suffering from a flu bug, Tennessee is different.
Better bring them buses…

Johnson > Powell. I think Powell can score some points against SC backcourt but she will need to stay out of foul trouble in particular against Johnson.

Spear>PaoPao. PaoPao is not a better basketball player than Spear. Maybe shooting a better percentage but SC against competition can not run their offense through PaoPao.
Spear in the 4th quarter alone against Miss State made several passes that led to an assist or found a teammate that was able to make a second pass that led to a score. If Spear touched the ball as much as PaoPao then the LVs offense although it’s been scoring some points was be much more efficient.

Rickea > Hall. The biggest mismatch on the court between the starting 5. Rickea can go for 30.. see what Morrow and Reese did that wasn’t even on Rickea Jackson level.

Puckett > Kitts. Kitts is not a polished player offensively and defensively is really slight built. Puckett has had successful against better forwards than Kitts in the SEC already in Barnum at MS State and Dut/Reynolds at Florida.

Cardoso > Key. I think as early as this weekend Tamari Key may be in the starting lineup coming off the bye. Cardoso struggled against LSU undersized forward 5’10 Morrow. Against 6’6 Key the only reason the edge is slightly towards Cardoso is due to her endurance and elite coordination at 6’7.

Bench = SC

Watkins, Feagin, and Fulwiley are good players off the bench.
I do like Kaiya Wynn’s matchup defensively against Fulwiley. Kaiya Wynn is elite guarding ISO players and applying pressure full court.
Striplin and Hollingshead got to atleast match by having productive minutes when facing SC forwards off the bench. Tess Johnson and Tess Darby or Avery Strickland are equal.
Spear/PaoPao:
They both avg. 27 minutes per game. PaoPao scores slightly more (12.5-11.8), shoots at a much higher percentage from 2 and 3 (52%/53% to 40%/32%). PaoPao wins assists 4.1 to 1.9. But sure.

Kitts/Pucket:
Kitts was a member of Team USA this summer and led her team in scoring, they won the Gold for their age group, I don't see Pucket on any Team USA's. In 18 minutes per game Kitts is scoring 10.3 points. In 27 minutes per game Pucket is scoring 10.8. Kitts shoots 54% compared to Pucket's 47%. Kitts gets 6.4 rebounds to Pucket's 5.5. Kitts has more assists and fewer turnovers. But sure.

Now let’s talk defense…..rank those players by defensive prowess….whole new ball game.

Last edited:
I do have to admit what would happen if you ever meet a UConn team that has not been devastated by injuries. Oh, wait. we have played SoCar with a healthy team that's why the overall record is 9-3. And I am more and more amazed about how many times you bring UConn into a discussion. You're manifesting a serious inferiority complex like maybe you haven't gotten over being cut from JV or something.
Oh wait, the teams met twice in 2021-2022 season and Uconn was at full strength in first game and down only Juhaz in second game (She had 2 points in first game)…..both wipeout losses for the connies (I know, we all heard, Fudd had a tummy ache in the first matchup when she was still a reserve). Btw, its 9-4 all time and the connies have lost 3 straight and 4 of last 5.. Geeze, do better next time.

South Carolina 73-57 UConn (Nov 22, 2021) Box Score - ESPN

South Carolina 64-49 UConn (Apr 3, 2022) Box Score - ESPN

mic drop

Last edited:
Reactions: NeedOrange
Spear/PaoPao:
They both avg. 27 minutes per game. PaoPao scores slightly more (12.5-11.8), shoots at a much higher percentage from 2 and 3 (52%/53% to 40%/32%). PaoPao wins assists 4.1 to 1.9. But sure.

Kitts/Pucket:
Kitts was a member of Team USA this summer and led her team in scoring, they won the Gold for their age group, I don't see Pucket on any Team USA's. In 18 minutes per game Kitts is scoring 10.3 points. In 27 minutes per game Pucket is scoring 10.8. Kitts shoots 54% compared to Pucket's 47%. Kitts gets 6.4 rebounds to Pucket's 5.5. Kitts has more assists and fewer turnovers. But sure.

You don’t get it.. narrow minded.
Jewel Spear has had stats her entire career including leading the ACC in scoring as a sophomore.
I’m not about to dumb down the comparison as you attempted to do and failed by referencing a few pts.. and shooting percentage.

Spear is the better player. Period.
So yes, “sure.”

Puckett made the SEC All-Freshman Team. But yeah, talk about a team full of what “19 year olds against other 19 year olds” that Kitts led in scoring compared to a player that during their career made the college all- conference team as a freshman based on her performance against P5 competition .

Puckett will matchup on the court in every category with Kitts, and if it came down to have the ball in Puckett hands or Kitts for their team to win then yes, sure I’m taking Puckett. She’s made big shots her entire career. Don’t let the sophomore slump fool you.
Lets GFBO🍊.

You don’t get it.. narrow minded.
Jewel Spear has had stats her entire career including leading the ACC in scoring as a sophomore.
I’m not about to dumb down the comparison as you attempted to do and failed by referencing a few pts.. and shooting percentage.

Spear is the better player. Period.
So yes, “sure.”

Puckett made the SEC All-Freshman Team. But yeah, talk about a team full of what “19 year olds against other 19 year olds” that Kitts led in scoring compared to a player that during their career made the college all- conference team as a freshman.

Puckett will matchup on the court in every category with Kitts, and if it came down to have the ball in Puckett hands or Kitts for their team to win then yes, sure I’m taking Puckett. She’s made big shots her entire career. Don’t let the sophomore slump fool you.
Lets GFBO🍊.
PaoPao made All PAC12 Freshman Team as well as All PAC12 First team soph and Jr seasons. What's your point? And Kitts has been the more heralded and decorated player compared to Puckett hands down. Puckett doesn't wear any Team USA jerseys last I looked. This is basically Kitts freshman season, she skipped her senior season of HS and is only 18. Yet she is outproducing the Junior Puckett and in fewer minutes. Puckett isn't nearly the athlete Kitts is btw, who is neither slow, flat footed nor "lumbering" in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: StorrsCentral
PaoPao All PAC12 Freshman Team, All PAC12 First team soph and Jr seasons. What's your point?

The point was made. This ain’t the SEC fan club on Twitter.
Jewel Spear is a better player and has had a better career.
That doesn’t take away from what PaoPao has accomplished in her career.
PaoPao as of now has transitioned better with her new team but it doesn’t by any means determine she is a better player than Spear.

The point was made. This ain’t the SEC fan club on Twitter.
Jewel Spear is a better player and has had a better career.
That doesn’t take away from what PaoPao has accomplished in her career.
PaoPao as of now has transitioned better with her new team but it doesn’t by any means determine she is a better player than Spear.
Never said she was. I called them a push as far as this season and I believe their play bears that out, not much of a diff except PaoPao is a way more efficient shooter and averages over twice as many assists..

Last edited:
Reactions: travis929
Looking at the box score, it wasn't completely the depth, it was also the fitness of the starters. I agree, LSU was gassed by late in the 3rd and Angel looked almost relieved to foul out. I've noticed fitness issues w her before. Morrow played 35 mins, HVL, FJ and Williams 38, 40, and 38. That's obviously too many, and they were nowhere near in shape for it. Del Ros played 17 but only as an emergency. She's baseline woefully out of shape.

But Pao Pao played 39, Raven 36, Kamilla 32, Hall 30. They were just in better shape for the heavy duty. To be fair, the mins SC got off the bench, esp the 10 fm Fulwiley, were huge, as were Feagin's 6 pt and 4 rebs in 14 mins. Of course Kitts, who carried them early, was terrific in her 22 starter mins. So it was both the depth but also the fitness of the core.

I still think if Angel doesn't foolishly remove herself fm the game, LSU would have hung on for the win.

True well said. In a radio interview Dawn said she would like to have use Tessa Johnson to space the floor even more. But she was not 100% with a bad wheel.

True well said. In a radio interview Dawn said she would like to have use Tessa Johnson to space the floor even more. But she was not 100% with a bad wheel.
I was a little surprised Fulwiley did not get more second half minutes after the impact she had in the first half. She hit a few nice 3's and was playing good defense. She is a better defender than Tessa, and though her outside shot is not as dependable, she can obviously get to the rim much easier and she always excels at rebounds, steals and assists per minutes played.

Last edited:
I was a little surprised Fulwiley did not get more second half minutes after the impact she had in the first half. She hit a few nice 3's and was playing good defense. She is a better defender than Tessa, and though her outside shot is not as dependable, she can obviously get to the rim much easier and she always excels at rebounds and assists per minutes played.

Tessa and Fulwiley plays about the same minutes. But the reason Tessa has been playing a lot she come a long was on the defense and Dawn said the to the press before the game. You are 100% correct about Fulwiley outside shot not being dependable. As with Teassa she can get to the basket and you can not leave her open or she will make you pay. But in all Dawn likes to play them together a lot i notice.

Reactions: Rooster1
PaoPao made All PAC12 Freshman Team as well as All PAC12 First team soph and Jr seasons. What's your point? And Kitts has been the more heralded and decorated player compared to Puckett hands down. Puckett doesn't wear any Team USA jerseys last I looked. This is basically Kitts freshman season, she skipped her senior season of HS and is only 18. Yet she is outproducing the Junior Puckett and in fewer minutes. Puckett isn't nearly the athlete Kitts is btw, who is neither slow, flat footed nor "lumbering" in general.

In this comparison between Kitts and Puckett, you do know there are more attributes to basketball than the ones you and a few low IQ basketball fans focus on right?

Puckett as a basketball player isn’t defined by any of the things you tried to shed light for the one reason that does matter, which is in no world will Kitts ever be as pure as a shooter as Puckett.

It’s on the staff to continue to develop Puckett into a more complete basketball player.

Not going to debate with someone that can only throw out petty descriptions like that has anything to do with one averaging 10.3 ppg and the other 10.8 ppg, yet you trying to make the one that averages 10.3 ppg sound like Wemby just because they play for SC lol.

Last edited:
In this comparison between Kitts and Puckett, you do know there are more attributes to basketball than the ones you and a few low IQ basketball fans focus on right?

Puckett as a basketball player isn’t defined by any of the things you tried to shed light for the one reason that does matter, which is in no world will Kitts ever be as pure as a shooter as Puckett.

It’s on the staff to continue to develop Puckett into a more complete basketball player.

Not going to debate with someone that can only throw out petty descriptions like that has anything to do with one averaging 10.3 ppg and the other 10.8 ppg, yet you trying to make the one that averages 10.3 ppg sound like Wemby just because they play for SC lol.
How do you get that Puckett is a better rebounder than Kitts when she only rebounds about half the amount Kitts does per minute played?

Reactions: lfvol
Also to mention from last night's game was the fact Raven Johnson played the entire 40 mins. As many of you know early in her freshman year she tore a left knee ligament & was out the rest of the season. Her sophomore year she wore a brace. So for her to be where she is today, well conditioned & fully healthy, is pretty remarkable.

Also to mention from last night's game was the fact Raven Johnson played the entire 40 mins. As many of you know early in her freshman year she tore a left knee ligament & was out the rest of the season. Her sophomore year she wore a brace. So for her to be where she is today, well conditioned & fully healthy, is pretty remarkable.

Now this is one SC fan that I can agree with.. you’re speaking the facts.
During the summer, after watching the AmeriCup Games I said that Raven from SC was a big time player.
Her playing style reminds me of Jrue Holiday from the Bucks and Celtics.. she goes about her business and ain’t backing down. Not flashy but makes her presence felt on the court.
We need more high IQ basketball fans from other schools like this on the forum, with less of the SEC fan club on Twitter crew and NVs.

Raven has dropped 30 lbs. this past year, in great physical shape, she is toned and in exceptional condition. The whole team is remarkably conditioned.

I am sorry, but I have to mention for the millionth time I hate when the offensive player goes up for a layup, leans into the defensive player, and the defensive player gets called for the foul. And, in a similar situation there is absolutely no contact, but a foul is called on the defensive player. The ref is thinking there had to be a foul. How about when the defensive player, hands straight up, offensive player leans in and the defensive player gets the foul.
I am sorry I did not want to start a discussion on SEC refs. It just bugs me...

I am sorry, but I have to mention for the millionth time I hate when the offensive player goes up for a layup, leans into the defensive player, and the defensive player gets called for the foul. And, in a similar situation there is absolutely no contact, but a foul is called on the defensive player. The ref is thinking there had to be a foul. How about when the defensive player, hands straight up, offensive player leans in and the defensive player gets the foul.
I am sorry I did not want to start a discussion on SEC refs. It just bugs me...
It can happen on jump shots as well, watch how Clark clears out her defender with her left arm prior to many shots, never gets called Or the defender gets tagged with a foul.

Anyone seen viewership number for the LSU USC game?

I’m betting 2.2m last year was 1.5m average so hopefully around there
…last years numbers. Last night should be out later today at same site.

Now this is one SC fan that I can agree with.. you’re speaking the facts.
During the summer, after watching the AmeriCup Games I said that Raven from SC was a big time player.
Her playing style reminds me of Jrue Holiday from the Bucks and Celtics.. she goes about her business and ain’t backing down. Not flashy but makes her presence felt on the court.
We need more high IQ basketball fans from other schools like this on the forum, with less of the SEC fan club on Twitter crew and NVs.
Yes, Raven is the best PG in the SEC. PaoPao leads the nation in 3pt % and freshman Fulwiley is electric. All three were McD AA’s and the ones I told you were going to be ahead of Coop in the rotation, it’s just the truth but you claimed no way there were three ahead of Coop. Well, there were and there are. SC needed shooters from the perimeter, not Coop’s forte, you will see soon enough. Coop is a great overall player, not dissing her, very talented, but even Tessa Johnson who is a tremendous shooter was going to take minutes from her. Worked out for everyone, happy for Coop, I am.

Reactions: mcannon1
Yes, Raven is the best PG in the SEC. PaoPao leads the nation in 3pt % and freshman Fulwiley is electric. All three were McD AA’s and the ones I told you were going to be ahead of Coop in the rotation, it’s just the truth but you claimed no way there were three ahead of Coop. Well, there were and there are. SC needed shooters from the perimeter, not Coop’s forte, you will see soon enough. Coop is a great overall player, not dissing her, very talented, but even Tessa Johnson who is a tremendous shooter was going to take minutes from her. Worked out for everyone, happy for Coop, I am.

This discussion was about Raven and Raven only.

The other three guards that played for SC were average at best, and one did absolutely nothing.

Talaysia Cooper is good enough to have played on the court with either of those teams last night.

Talaysia Cooper was behind 5 WNBA players on LAST season’s SC team that is way better than this team.

Be forreal.. you are delusional.

VN Store

Back