Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Alabama at Vanderbilt tonight, could be an interesting game.
Guess we need to hope for Vandy to lose since were a couple spots ahead of Alabama and trailing Vandy by four spots. Also them winning may put us in a better position to pull the upset Thursday night a win always make you a little less intense.

Reactions: knoxvol52
May give Uconn a little more of a chance but both home games should not cause any problem.
UConn usually tends to rise to the moment. We played SCar very close last year and had a depleted crew that year (and I would argue, we were worse off last year). Realistically I think SCar wins with or without Cardoso, but I think UConn maybe gets a slight advantage with her out. But I doubt it's enough. And tbh I'm not exactly confident given our track record against other ranked teams this year. So it goes.

Guess we need to hope for Vandy to lose since were a couple spots ahead of Alabama and trailing Vandy by four spots. Also them winning may put us in a better position to pull the upset Thursday night a win always make you a little less intense.

I always hope for Vandy to lose regardless of who they are playing. Both teams sit at 4-4 in the SEC so it’s really a wash but I would like vandy to lose.

With Alabama you cannot let them get going from 3. They have been very hot and cold and a lot depends on their shooting. Games they struggle they have fewer than 5 3s games where they won big they usually have 10+.

Barker is their leader this season. If we can defend her effectively and prevent her from scoring much they will struggle.

Weathers had an excellent game off the bench against Arkansas. She’s usually a 29% 3 point shooter but she went 4-6 from deep and had 16 and 10 in that win. She is one you have to watch when she comes in off the bench. She’s a good passer and high IQ player who will crash the glass.

Last edited:
I always hope for Vandy to lose regardless of who they are playing. Both teams sit at 4-4 in the SEC so it’s really a wash but I would like to Vandy lose.

With Alabama you cannot let them get going from 3. They have been very hot and cold and a lot depends on their shooting. Games they struggle they have fewer than 5 3s games where they one big they usually have 10+.

Barker is their leader this season. If we can defender her effectively and prevent her from scoring much they will struggle.

Weathers had an excellent game off the bench against Arkansas. She’s usually a 29% 3 point shooter but she went 4-6 from deep and had 16 and 10 in that win. She is one you have to watch when she comes in off the bench. She’s a good passer and high IQ player who will crash the glass.
I do also except I hope for Bama to lose as well. This time just need Vandy to lose more.

So. Just curious. What’s gonna happen with the PAC TWO network?
🤣
Glad you asked @chuckiepoo. One of the last paragraphs of this article indicates the two remaining schools don't intend to go quietly into the night. One of the schools is refusing to support the college football playoff unless the PAC 2 share in the revenue.

Glad you asked @chuckiepoo. One of the last paragraphs of this article indicates the two remaining schools don't intend to go quietly into the night. One of the schools is refusing to support the college football playoff unless the PAC 2 share in the revenue.

I may be wrong, but the PAC12 network TV deal may be void for contractual reasons after all the teams leave, so that would be a null point. However, and again I may be wrong, but I recall the courts granting the two remaining schools all rights left over, including the termination fees required to be paid by those schools departing. Someone more knowledgeable on this topic may have better insight. But I believe what ever rights were left to the PAC12 minus the TV deal now belong to WSU and OSU. What that ultimately amounts to I have no idea, but I am sure the lawyers are engaged on both sides.

I may be wrong, but the PAC12 network TV deal may be void for contractual reasons after all the teams leave, so that would be a null point. However, and again I may be wrong, but I recall the courts granting the two remaining schools all rights left over, including the termination fees required to be paid by those schools departing. Someone more knowledgeable on this topic may have better insight. But I believe what ever rights were left to the PAC12 minus the TV deal now belong to WSU and OSU. What that ultimately amounts to I have no idea, but I am sure the lawyers are engaged on both sides.
Has to be won't be a league some teams will go under the Big Ten network and Stanford under the ACC. Two teams still need to find a home and I think the Mountain West seemed to be the conference they would join.

Has to be won't be a league some teams will go under the Big Ten network and Stanford under the ACC. Two teams still need to find a home and I think the Mountain West seemed to be the conference they would join.
Agree, but the departing members do have termination fees to be paid to the league before departing and at a minimum the two remaining schools would seem in line to share those fees. Whatever else is left in rights and money from the conference are probably what is being decided.

looking at SEC teams remaining schedules, Miss State could easily win all 7 remaining games

On Monday, the Missouri Tigers announced that they were the recipient of a $62 million donation. Out of this, $50 million will be allotted to upgrading stadium facilities, and the other $12 million will go to NIL.

question: Can a university receive $$ directly to the NIL silo?

Here is a question for folks to ponder. Which players that are part of the last class to stay an extra 5th year for Covid will do so next year? Plenty of marquee names in the mix like Clark, Bueckers, Brink, Edwards, Reese, HVL, Cardoso, PaoPao, Jackson, etc. More than I can count at the moment. Many of them are top 10 mock draftees by the WNBA. There are a ton that maybe are not first round types who if they come back, and I suspect many will, can change the outlook tremendously for their teams next season.

Ill hang up and listen to anyone that has thoughts.

Last edited:
On Monday, the Missouri Tigers announced that they were the recipient of a $62 million donation. Out of this, $50 million will be allotted to upgrading stadium facilities, and the other $12 million will go to NIL.

question: Can a university receive $$ directly to the NIL silo?
Prob a donation to one of the schools private NIL collectives, almost sure that is how it will work, donors can give as much as they like to those organizations.

As for the previous talk about UConn’s chances against SC minus Cardoso, I think that two things are in play here, with obviously Cardoso out being one of them. SC has not had to play without her all year, she is the leading scorer, rebounder and rim protector. Maybe their depth is enough to overcome, but we don’t know how that team plays without her until we see it.

Second thing in play, Uconn has two true freshman in the starting lineup, Arnold and Shade. How will they play in such a big environment on the road? They play practically none of their bench meaningfully, so those two have to hold their own in that game. Are they ready to do that? They will have to defend Raven, PaoPao and Fulwiley at various times. How will that go? We will see this week in a sellout crowd type atmosphere. I’ll be watching..,…

Which players that are part of the last class to stay an extra 5th year for Covid will do so next year? Plenty of marquee names in the mix like Clark, Bueckers, Brink, Edwards, Reese, HVL, Cardoso, PaoPao, Jackson, etc
Oh if only! Afraid RJ is not on that list,

Most likely to stay IMO are Bueckers (who's all but said it), Reese (who needs another year to be draft ready), and HVL (see Angel, but even w another yr I don't think her chances are good) Slightly less chance of staying but still probable for me is Edwards, who might want to play with an uninjured team for once. Also good chance to stay is Pao Pao and Amoor.

I think Clark goes having broken all the records and having the chance to play down the street in Indiana. Also I think Brink and Kamilla go. Brink reportedly wants to play in LA and they have 3 first round picks they got thru trades this year. Don't know why I think Kamilla will I just think she's ready. Espec if SC wins a natty this yr.

Oh if only! Afraid RJ is not on that list,

Most likely to stay IMO are Bueckers (who's all but said it), Reese (who needs another year to be draft ready), and HVL (see Angel, but even w another yr I don't think her chances are good) Slightly less chance of staying but still probable for me is Edwards, who might want to play with an uninjured team for once. Also good chance to stay is Pao Pao and Amoor.

I think Clark goes having broken all the records and having the chance to play down the street in Indiana. Also I think Brink and Kamilla go. Brink reportedly wants to play in LA and they have 3 first round picks they got thru trades this year. Don't know why I think Kamilla will I just think she's ready. Espec if SC wins a natty this yr.
Damn, I thought Rikea had one more year if she chose….

VN Store

Back