Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

As of today, the WNBA lottery is:
1: Indiana
2: LA
3: Chicago
4: LA

Chicago and LA are two extremely depleted teams, as a result of a brutal free agency. They'll need players at every position, and will be in rebuild mode for at least a year. I can picture both teams having alot of playing time for elite rookies (since apparently none of the vets want to play there).

As of today, the WNBA lottery is:
1: Indiana
2: LA
3: Chicago
4: LA

Chicago and LA are two extremely depleted teams, as a result of a brutal free agency. They'll need players at every position, and will be in rebuild mode for at least a year. I can picture both teams having alot of playing time for elite rookies (since apparently none of the vets want to play there).

Indiana has been in rebuild mode for like a decade lol. Ever since Catch retired.

Reactions: Lucy
They are just on the precipice of being a contender. If they get Clark (big if) and if their young players can mesh well and develop quickly, that'll be a darn good team soon enough.
Iowa should have got a big like passion Thompson
Do not think i spell her name for sure right under sized but she did her part to bring Tennessee a championship.
Your big doesn't have to great offense player.
Just Slow down the other teams big center/power forward
Six Four in height would help.
But Tennessee was ranked #4 till green got hurt under Kellie teams at Tennesse.
So a team can win with the right fight in a shorter post player.

Watkins, Kitts and Feagin.

I think Watkins gets Cardoso's minutes against Missouri and UConn. With the prior knowledge that Cardoso would be missing Feagin seems to have upped her game and is putting in extra work in preparation for those games. I look for Kitts to start but Feagin should see lots of action.

Don’t know if this has been posted or not, we talk about NIL in about every damn thread now! 😂

And again, don’t have a clue about NIL, but I’m assuming this might muddy things even more now?

View attachment 618000
Much more than NIL this is an actual job and they can negotiate for a salary. Dartmouth not really your going to get paid a lot if your an athlete, but it opens the door for the big schools and thus pay negotiation. It doesn't tell me if this is the athletes already there or high school potential job seekers. If both another blow to the NCAA.

Much more than NIL this is an actual job and they can negotiate for a salary. Dartmouth not really your going to get paid a lot if your an athlete, but it opens the door for the big schools and thus pay negotiation. It doesn't tell me if this is the athletes already there or high school potential job seekers. If both another blow to the NCAA.
It means amateur college athletics is over. The dog has caught the car. There's a decent argument that's only fair for the athletes who put in the work.

But it's fraught with crazy complications, just like when big unrestricted money took over politics. Just the sheer amount of money big football schools will shell out to keep and recruit elite talent is staggering. And pay scales for all are certain to escalate. As transfer rules drop away, as they're sure to do in this envirnoment, every year will be unrestricted free agency for every player, something pro athletes have only dreamed of.

Schools are worried about the legal responsibility they'll take on with athletes as full time employees. They will be sued into the next millenium for everything every player does or experiences. It's really worse case scenario for the schools. I think they thought they could reorganize the control mechanisms by ending the NCAA and providing their own controls. Now it's all in their laps with zero controls possible due to the courts clear rulings that no monetary restrictions will ever be possible.

True believer fans better be ready to pony up the kids' college savings, because the amounts of money that will be required are beyond comprehension. Not hard to imagine major donations and funds being diverted from the new library to hire that new quarterback. IMO, major college sports should just break away and be freestanding semi-pro development leagues now.

Last edited:
Lawyers, lawyers, lawyers are happy. Contracts, caps, unions too? Which sports will have unions, just football? Doubt the football union will share with other sports. If schools are now hiring athletes, they should be able to fire them too, and if a sport does not produce a profit, will they continue to sell/support that sport? Will smaller colleges be able to afford buying/paying players?

There’s no draft like in pro sports, yet, and if there is one, how many schools could participate in that?

For that matter, the laws seem to be changing rapidly now, schools don’t have much time before next football season to change their entire approach to their sports.

Plus, employees pay taxes, have fun with that.

Last edited:
Interesting question for people who like and know WBB:

Does Iowa, with arguably the best single player in the game, maybe ever, have enough role players around CC to go all the way? If not, what is their ceiling? I keep thinking some team will figure out the mystery of how to slow down Clark, but I’m past that now. Maybe the best strategy with them is to play zone and deny them the paint and let CC do whatever she is going to do anyway. SC really missed the boat last year in FF in not going to zone to do same imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: knoxvol52 and glv98
Interesting question for people who like and know WBB:

Does Iowa, with arguably the best single player in the game, maybe ever, have enough role players around CC to go all the way? If not, what is their ceiling? I keep thinking some team will figure out the mystery of how to slow down Clark, but I’m past that now. Maybe the best strategy with them is to play zone and deny them the paint and let CC do whatever she is going to do anyway. SC really missed the boat last year in FF in not going to zone to do same imo.
Iowa's run in the tournament will go as far as Hannah Stuelke, Sharon Goodman and Addison O'Grady will take them with post-scoring and defensive rebounding.

I also feel perimeter defense is a factor because I just don't know if they have the lateral quickness to keep up with the guards on some of these other teams. (similarly to Tennessee)

Short answer. I think they make the final four, or get upset in overtime in the elite 8 by a physical, speedy team, with good offensive punch

It means amateur college athletics is over. The dog has caught the car. There's a decent argument that's only fair for the athletes who put in the work.

But it's fraught with crazy complications, just like when big unrestricted money took over politics. Just the sheer amount of money big football schools will shell out to keep and recruit elite talent is staggering. And pay scales for all are certain to escalate. As transfer rules drop away, as they're sure to do in this envirnoment, every year will be unrestricted free agency for every player, something pro athletes have only dreamed of.

Schools are worried about the legal responsibility they'll take on with athletes as full time employees. They will be sued into the next millenium for everything every player does or experiences. It's really worse case scenario for the schools. I think they thought they could reorganize the control mechanisms by ending the NCAA and providing their own controls. Now it's all in their laps with zero controls possible due to the courts clear rulings that no monetary restrictions will ever be possible.

True believer fans better be ready to pony up the kids' college savings, because the amounts of money that will be required are beyond comprehension. Not hard to imagine major donations and funds being diverted from the new library to hire that new quarterback. IMO, major college sports should just break away and be freestanding semi-pro development leagues now.
Another factor that might impact your last paragraph and which hasn't been determined yet, to my knowledge, is the question of the tax status of the tuition and other benefits that college athletes receive. While the cost of tuition may be a dollar for dollar offset, I can see the IRS saying that a number of the bennies are, in fact, compensation and, thus, taxable to the recipient.

Jim

Another factor that might impact your last paragraph and which hasn't been determined yet, to my knowledge, is the question of the tax status of the tuition and other benefits that college athletes receive. While the cost of tuition may be a dollar for dollar offset, I can see the IRS saying that a number of the bennies are, in fact, compensation and, thus, taxable to the recipient.

Jim
Most programs have hired an NIL consultant to help athletes navigate through tax liabilites, contracts, etc. The first year of NIL some students indeed got caught unaware that their new income was taxable.

This is one of the best articles I've seen on the possibilities of what comes next. I don't think there's a paywall. One interesting one being talked about this week is straight up profit sharing. The original injustice was sports, mostly football, started raking in so much money it became untenable not to share some with the athletes. So under this model, athletes become school employees and get a small salary. Additionally, a predetermined percentage of profits their program makes, if any, is paid out to the players.

Of course the obvious problem is only football is profitable and that's only at the big schools. Also, hard to see how this would ever survive Title laws. But an interesting idea.

Reactions: brittannica
IMO, major college sports should just break away and be freestanding semi-pro development leagues now.

I've been pounding this admittedly negative drum for years now. A pro development league has nothing to do with the universities, or the mission of college education, and the schools have no business being involved with them. If college sports aren't there to provide an avenue for education, or if participating for schools in exchange for free rides and all the other support isn't enough for these up and coming pro athletes, then so be it - let the little mini-NFL and mini-NBA form their own leagues and run their own businesses to make their money, and let the schools get back to traditional inter-collegiate athletics.

I think it’s going to happen eventually. If it keeps going the way it’s going the colleges are going to have to get out of it or they will be in constant litigation with athletes trying to sue the school over contract issues.

Last edited:
There are already lawsuits going on about schools paying every athlete in every sport, And about owing back pay to previous athletes. How would the smaller schools even afford that? If it comes down to schools buying teams, they are no longer in the education business. Would it even be legal to require your employee to be a student? Wouldn’t doubt someone would file a lawsuit over that.

There are already lawsuits going on about schools paying every athlete in every sport, And about owing back pay to previous athletes. How would the smaller schools even afford that? If it comes down to schools buying teams, they are no longer in the education business. Would it even be legal to require your employee to be a student? Wouldn’t doubt someone would file a lawsuit over that.

Yeah you think tuition is bad now. Wait until they’re paying out millions in employment lawsuits to athletes from a decade ago.

VN Store

Back