Official Depth Chart vs Austin Peay

now we just have to figure out what to do with the other 5 kickers on the roster...:)

ev_waterboy_070328_ssh.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
I assume B. Moore will get some time in at CB? Hes too much of a talent to not be on the field with McNeil and Randy esp if Corner is struggling. Hes a nice asset as a backup if its feasible..

I think Butch will play many backups against Austin Peay and I'm glad we don't open with WK.

If all these guys that y'all are freaking out about arent up there, maybe were more talented than you think, instead of the other way around. If those guys were more talented, they would be in front of them

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Looks like the depth chart has singlehandedly brought VN back down to earth.

It had to. Talk about a wake up call on where you team stands.

What I want to see this year is improvement in:

Coaching - game management, adjustments, penalties, etc.
Effort - don't quit, show progress
Toughness - what kind of pride do we have
Competitiveness - I want to see a team that competes with everyone it plays - no moral victories, but a baseline to grow from.

It's going to be a long season, but it could have a few bright spots.

Butch said today that Maggitt might play some this weekend. Said he will practice all week and it will be a gametime decision.

Depth at CB is going to be an issue again. Losing Gordon and Riyahd Jones really hurt us. I hope we can manage but I see a lot of big plays getting put on this D again. We can stop the run, but the DBs are our weak point IMO.

That being said, I hear a lot of praise for Cameron Sutton. Being #2 on PR and a starting CB says a lot about his athletic ability as a freshman. North will be a bright spot, as well as Pig. This offense will really bring out Pig's talents as a slot guy.

I say we see Croom as a standing TE but maybe not. He's so big and still faster than most LB's. That's a solid matchup all day. Really glad we get to see him on the field. Momma must be so proud!
While I agree with what you said. I think our cb will be much improved, because our d line should be able to get pressure. Last yr our Cbs had to cover for a long time. The best help for Cbs is having a d line that will not make them cover for an extended period of time. So here's to hoping I'm right.

Reactions: 5 people
Orta and Thomas should be embarrassed. They should be able to at least grab the backup spots over Arnold and Juin.

They back seven depth is bad. Going to give up a lot of points.

Almost our entire offensive and defensive lines will be gone after this year. Gonna be tough trying to grow up our two freshmen QBs with no experience on the o-line. But I guess we'll worry about that next year.

I knew our wide receivers and corners were young, but I didnt realize how short they were. I see us doing a great job stopping the run with our D-line and linebackers, but we could get burned for huge passing plays again this year. Also see a lot of interceptions when our wide outs are paired up against bigger corners and safeties.

6 walkon's listed in two deep.

Startling how thin we are at some posiitions.

Everyone needs to pray for healthy CB's and LB's or this season could take fast.

Well, I guess that signals talent improvement?

We went from starting 4 walk-ons to now relegating them to the two deep.

If this class shakes out well, there won't be any walkons in the 2-deep next year as we finally have a coaching staff that doesn't just recruit WRs.

I will say that depth at:

LT
CB
LB
S

Does bother me for this year.

6-6 would be a solid job by CBJ, and yes that's probably where we'll end up imo.

3 non conf. wins and we should (or better damn well) beat UK, Vandy and Auburn.

I hold out hope that we can get a solid road victory against Mizzou, but since they beat us in K-ville last year I dont want to hope too much. I guess if that loss last year was more a function of the coach and not of the talent, then maybe we can win it this year.

Reactions: 1 person
3 non conf. wins and we should (or better damn well) beat UK, Vandy and Auburn.

I hold out hope that we can get a solid road victory against Mizzou, but since they beat us in K-ville last year I dont want to hope too much. I guess if that loss last year was more a function of the coach and not of the talent, then maybe we can win it this year.

I also hold on to the slimmest of hopes that we can beat FLA or GA or SC for CBJ's first "signature" win of his career in Knoxville.

Reactions: 1 person
Well, I guess that signals talent improvement?

We went from starting 4 walk-ons to now relegating them to the two deep.

If this class shakes out well, there won't be any walkons in the 2-deep next year as we finally have a coaching staff that doesn't just recruit WRs.

I will say that depth at:

LT
CB
LB
S

Does bother me for this year.

If something happens to Tiny, I bet Bullard slides to RT, James to LT, and Jackson takes over LG.

Orta and Thomas should be embarrassed. They should be able to at least grab the backup spots over Arnold and Juin.

They back seven depth is bad. Going to give up a lot of points.

What about Pair and Posey? These scrubs can't break the 2 deep over a walk on after nearly 3 years in the program? Good grief.

If something happens to Tiny, I bet Bullard slides to RT, James to LT, and Jackson takes over LG.

This is my guess as well. This line has done some cross-training. They'll put out the five best uninjured players. You're more likely to see guys move over and have Jackson or maybe even Wiesman step in before Gilliam.

This isn't a knock on Gilliam. I'm glad the young man's hard work has paid off.

That said, I hope we don't have injuries here.

VN Store

Back