Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

This coaching carousel and pending NCAA hammer feels like finally overcoming the clap, only to find out you now have HPV, hepatitis and herpes all rolled into one.

SpitefulCostlyArrowana-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm putting money on the great horned owl in that fight...
I would too. Birds our cat goes after don't include any birds of prey. I have seen an owl from time to time in the neighborhood at night. But nobody's pets have gone missing around here, so hopefully that does not change.

Reactions: AM64
I would too. Birds our cat goes after don't include any birds of prey. I have seen an owl from time to time in the neighborhood at night. But nobody's pets have gone missing around here, so hopefully that does not change.

We had an airhead cat that bagged a butterfly once ... and managed to lose it. His brother was death on chipmunks and squirrels. The funny thing was that the mockingbirds in our yard hated the one that was no threat to them. I saw them dive bomb him time after time, and I don't think he even noticed they were around. It was so funny watching those birds straight down in a dive to hit him and bozo was lost in space.

Reading some news stories on the Pruitt firing and recruiting violations brings up a couple of thoughts. The stories talk about Level 1 violations as violations that include lack of institutional oversight. Level 1 violations certainly look bad for the football staff implicated, which may or may not directly mean Pruitt himself. How do Plowman and all those below her skate on the lack of institutional oversight; was that not part of her responsibility? Is she trying to say that subordinates could successfully cover up serious violations, and she never caught on? Perhaps she herself is incompetent, or are those charges blown up some to deal with firing Pruitt for cause. It seems like Pruitt's lawyer could have a lot to work with there, and the school could be shooting itself in the foot with regards to the NCAA. Guess we'll eventually find out.

The other thing is that Amarius Mims (signed with GA) keeps coming up, and there was an earlier story that his HS coach was trolling for donations by fan bases using Mim's account - apparently saying payments could be the deciding factor. That sounds a lot like TN might not be the only school in line to be burned on recruiting violations.

In looking for more info on Amarius Mims I found a great quote on an Auburn forum. Apparently the feeling is that the NCAA is already looking at GA. Probably just need to look at who was seriously recruiting the kid to figure out who is going to get screwed by the NCAA.

"UGA has asked for leniency on account of their self imposed 40 year ban on national titles ....."

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I used to never think about our AD when we had people like Bob Woodruff and Doug Dickey in charge. Then we changed to the modern American model of corporate management where short term gains and big paychecks for those in charge were the answer and ever since our football team has gone downhill as have our corporations. Go figure.

Not a good sign. According to ESPN:

Tennessee is retaining Parker Executive Search to help hire a new athletic director.

I always thought that when you had to have an outside agency do a search to fill a position, you don't know enough to be in a position of oversight. If they are doing an "executive search", then be prepared for another Hamilton, Hart, Curry fiasco.

W... T... F...

I can understand the use of a go between to see if someone might be interested in a high level job when direct contact would be a sensitive issue, but just turning a search over seems to always indicate that the decision makers are too isolated to know what to look for or too uninvolved to care. I always considered that my job included training my replacement and maintaining enough professional contacts to suggest a replacement for my job or for anyone working for me.

So much for the theory that they had the next HFC waiting in the wings.
They had Kevin Steele. As soon as they hired him I knew what they we going to do.
This is how I see it play out:
1. Hire a new AD
2. Coaching search
3. Hire who they want and if not
3B. Kevin Steele remains the coach next year.
4. End of 2021 either Kevin Steele did well and he gets considered for head coach or:
4B. They hire plan H.

So much for the theory that they had the next HFC waiting in the wings.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fulmer did have a succession plan. I'd bet his resignation was a twofer. First to let him off the hook and retire - somewhat diffusing the situation, so the university could use the "bad apple" rather than "institutional failure" excuse. The bigger part was much more likely for show; if Fulmer didn't know about the violations and was let off the hook, then Plowman and others couldn't be expected to have known either. With Fulmer exiting that way, his succession plan had to go by the wayside. I'd bet the Steele hiring wasn't coincidental - that the short term strategy was in place and Steel was available "so he could be snapped up before somebody else got him".

They had Kevin Steele. As soon as they hired him I knew what they we going to do.
This is how I see it play out:
1. Hire a new AD
2. Coaching search
3. Hire who they want and if not
3B. Kevin Steele remains the coach next year.
4. End of 2021 either Kevin Steele did well and he gets considered for head coach or:
4B. They hire plan H.
Sounds like a plan!

Reactions: AM64
I wouldn't be surprised if Fulmer did have a succession plan. I'd bet his resignation was a twofer. First to let him off the hook and retire - somewhat diffusing the situation, so the university could use the "bad apple" rather than "institutional failure" excuse. The bigger part was much more likely for show; if Fulmer didn't know about the violations and was let off the hook, then Plowman and others couldn't be expected to have known either. With Fulmer exiting that way, his succession plan had to go by the wayside. I'd bet the Steele hiring wasn't coincidental - that the short term strategy was in place and Steel was available "so he could be snapped up before somebody else got him".
Wasn’t Steele one of Fulmer’s Finalists last time around?

Wasn’t Steele one of Fulmer’s Finalists last time around?
Yes he was. Steele is a wildcard. He sucked the last and only time he was a head coach and i think he went 6-31 or something ugly like that, but that was 20 years ago. I'm good with him being an interim coach.
We need to pony up some money and quit trying to buy cheap coaches from middle major programs or idiots like Pruitt.
It's time to spend big bucks and get a big bucks coach.

I don't think Phillip knew what was going on w/Pruitt during the time of the recruiting shenanigans. Fulmer is the same age as me. I really think he wanted to retire & give this job to someone else that would have prior experience in the area of doing the ins & outs of an AD job. Fulmer has giving his all to UT for 50 years and I would think it's time for him to get out & go be w/the grand kids & do some fishing. What else would he have to give to UT? He was a player a coach a NC coach and then UT's AD...... now go & enjoy old age.

VN Store

Back