Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

I don't think Phillip knew what was going on w/Pruitt during the time of the recruiting shenanigans. Fulmer is the same age as me. I really think he wanted to retire & give this job to someone else that would have prior experience in the area of doing the ins & outs of an AD job. Fulmer has giving his all to UT for 50 years and I would think it's time for him to get out & go be w/the grand kids & do some fishing. What else would he have to give?

I absolutely agree. I wonder, too, how much the NCAA itself plays a part. Remember when Fulmer attended practice and gave a few tips to linemen, the university had to self report it as a violation. Hard to get around and look into all the nooks and crannies when it might be a violation. Wouldn't be the first time that poorly thought out rules had the inverse effect. I think Fulmer did the right thing in saying his successor should choose the coach - let's just hope the university gets the AD choice right. I'm not holding out tremendous hope on that one though,

TN men's Basketball vs Florida Gators at 6:00 pm CT on Espn. We have a 4 game winning streak going w/them.
Gators hold the advantage over TN when playing at home. The TN Vols are ranked #6 in the latest poll.

Last edited:
They had Kevin Steele. As soon as they hired him I knew what they we going to do.
This is how I see it play out:
1. Hire a new AD
2. Coaching search
3. Hire who they want and if not
3B. Kevin Steele remains the coach next year.
4. End of 2021 either Kevin Steele did well and he gets considered for head coach or:
4B. They hire plan H.

2A Get Mike Gundy a raise.

Yes he was. Steele is a wildcard. He sucked the last and only time he was a head coach and i think he went 6-31 or something ugly like that, but that was 20 years ago. I'm good with him being an interim coach.
We need to pony up some money and quit trying to buy cheap coaches from middle major programs or idiots like Pruitt.
It's time to spend big bucks and get a big bucks coach.

I have a little different view - not that unusual. Pruitt never made the transition to HC, but hiring very capable coordinators and letting them transition to HC has worked better than hiring head coaches from lesser conferences and expecting them to scale up to Power 5 conferences. Most unemployed Power 5 coaches didn't set the world on fire, so hiring one of those is a mixed bag. Where I'm thinking Fulmer may have gone wrong with Pruitt was selecting a HC from defensive coordinator ranks. I would have done precisely the same thing, but I think the NCAA has altered the rules so much that the game has gone from defense to offense. That offends me, but sometimes you have to go with the flow. The NCAA in changing the game may be killing it (not positively) in the same way sanctioning bodies have crippled racing.

Just when I believe UT can make a deep run in the tournament, they have a showing like tonight.

VN Store

Back