Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

Think about that statement and get back to me.
You mean Nick Saban won't take the job at ETSU? He consistently hired coaches who have won in both basketball and football at both his stops. Often they are hired away to bigger programs. And he just reloads his gun with another excellent coach who wins. He has an eye for coaching hires. A proven track record.

You mean Nick Saban won't take the job at ETSU? He consistently hired coaches who have won in both basketball and football at both his stops. Often they are hired away to bigger programs. And he just reloads his gun with another excellent coach who wins. He has an eye for coaching hires. A proven track record.

We will see...my overlying point is, what makes him ready to run an SEC program? (If we only need him to pick a new coach, it is a bad hire)

Reactions: AM64
We will see...my overlying point is, what makes him ready to run an SEC program? (If we only need him to pick a new coach, it is a bad hire)
I will simply leave this with regard to how he is viewed in the AD world:

He was making more money per year then the AD at Florida, FSU, and Miami.

Reactions: StarRaider

We'll see. Last three administrative type ADs at UT were abject failures.

Marks against:

He was BB not football - football pays the bills and makes the money to bankroll the rest. It's the key to successful athletic programs in P5 schools.
Not a FB HC - they've been the successful ADs.
Not P5 - they don't always scale up well.

For:

Seems like a decent guy and a hard worker
Did well at the lower levels without appearances of fraud - something we need now.
Family history in sports means he's not a novice in the sports world.

Personal opinion: We'll see; maybe he will scale up and maybe his background works with administrative degrees positively. I don't like his BS about the championship rings and pretending that UCF was really ready for prime time. Not going to sit well with many of us if he decides to shake up Tennessee traditions like he's done elsewhere, but I guess those of us who feel that way will be gone in a few years anyway.

We'll see. Last three administrative type ADs at UT were abject failures.

Marks against:

He was BB not football - football pays the bills and makes the money to bankroll the rest. It's the key to successful athletic programs in P5 schools.
Not a FB HC - they've been the successful ADs.
Not P5 - they don't always scale up well.

For:

Seems like a decent guy and a hard worker
Did well at the lower levels without appearances of fraud - something we need now.
Family history in sports means he's not a novice in the sports world.

Personal opinion: We'll see; maybe he will scale up and maybe his background works with administrative degrees positively. I don't like his BS about the championship rings and pretending that UCF was really ready for prime time. Not going to sit well with many of us if he decides to shake up Tennessee traditions like he's done elsewhere, but I guess those of us who feel that way will be gone in a few years anyway.

He played basketball. Don't see how that's relevant. Football has always been successful where he's at. So he gets that it drives the bus. Very few schools have former coaches as AD's anymore. And who gives a crap about the undefeated season and ring thing. The fan base loved it, the alumni loved it, and the university moved it. The only constituents of his he should worry about it loved it. Who gives a crap what the rest of the country thought?

He played basketball. Don't see how that's relevant. Football has always been successful where he's at. So he gets that it drives the bus. Very few schools have former coaches as AD's anymore. And who gives a crap about the undefeated season and ring thing. The fan base loved it, the alumni loved it, and the university moved it. The only constituents of his he should worry about it loved it. Who gives a crap what the rest of the country thought?

That's why I said, "We'll see". I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, and instinct says he may be the right guy. I didn't really believe any of the coaching hires since Fulmer was fired were winners, and "we saw". I thought hiring Currie and Hart were bad mistakes, and they were. I understand the thing about who ADs are these days, but forgive me if I'm not impressed by business major types running businesses. I'm not diminishing anyone's work or education; the record just simply says that people who actually know the business rather than how to run a business have better records. There's a lot more to making sound decisions than "academic" administrative decisions - ask Boeing and the workers whose jobs are now elsewhere around the globe. That's simply my 2 cents worth from a lot of years of watching how things work ... or don't.

From what I can see from his experience I like the hire. Of course since this is TN, whichever great hire this guy makes will go down in flames because he's due and we suck because Fulmer sold the Universities soul to the devil.

Come on dude, a competent executive is a competent executive.

Robert McNamara was considered one of the most competent executives ever; his achievements at Ford are at best debatable; his achievements at mil.com were absymal.

Robert McNamara was considered one of the most competent executives ever; his achievements at Ford are at best debatable; his achievements at mil.com were absymal.

And this guy might fail but the same could be said about anyone we hired. There is nothing that points to him not being qualified.

And this guy might fail but the same could be said about anyone we hired. There is nothing that points to him not being qualified.

I pretty much agree, but I honestly still see the single most important aspect of the UT AD as hiring successful football coaches. Get that right and all the rest falls into place - donors donate, the stadium is filled, etc. Get the hiring part right and you can buy the "genius" to use the spoils - like upgrading facilities, selling/licensing fan wear, separating donors from their money, etc - none of it is rocket science. If we could buy players and make trades and do all the other stuff the NCAA doesn't allow, then a different perspective might apply. Successful football is the god from whom all athletic blessings flow; and that quite simply gets back to hiring and keeping the right HC.

I pretty much agree, but I honestly still see the single most important aspect of the UT AD as hiring successful football coaches. Get that right and all the rest falls into place - donors donate, the stadium is filled, etc. Get the hiring part right and you can buy the "genius" to use the spoils - like upgrading facilities, selling/licensing fan wear, separating donors from their money, etc - none of it is rocket science. If we could buy players and make trades and do all the other stuff the NCAA doesn't allow, then a different perspective might apply. Successful football is the god from whom all athletic blessings flow; and that quite simply gets back to hiring and keeping the right HC.

He has a pretty good record of hiring the right coaches. Couldn't keep them of course because the big boys kept coming after them which is a good sign IMO.

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back