Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

Worst LT I ever had as a PL was a West Point grad that thought he was the gods gift to the Army and women. I was the platoon commo chief for a while with him and he expected me to carry all the commo gear because his personal hygiene gear took up too much space. Once out in the field he insisted on setting up our hide site in this big draw, I told him it was going to rain that night but he knew all so we set up. About midnight it came a gully washer and washed all his **** down the hill, he had the gall to tell me to go get it.

We got West Point guys during basic to ride herd on us. Always screaming and yelling, and not very useful, but I suppose it checked a block in their curriculum ... and GV's.

We got West Point guys during basic to ride herd on us. Always screaming and yelling, and not very useful, but I suppose it checked a block in their curriculum ... and GV's.

I don't even remember seeing an officer during basic and AIT except at graduation.

Reactions: AM64
I don't even remember seeing an officer during basic and AIT except at graduation.

The West Point guys were probably sophomores or juniors. The platoon leaders were normally around, but didn't interact much. I remember one platoon leader picked a few of us out of a march and led us out at pretty mean pace to put us well ahead of the column so we could ambush them. They would get involved in disciplinary stuff if it was serious enough, but most interaction was always with drill sergeants - and they really didn't need help!

They are all inexperienced though. I recall being a young engineer and one of the more senior engineers from another department going to my boss and overhearing that he needed to talk to one of his lieutenants. My company used to be like the military in structure and I didn't realize it at the time.
When I was a young Ensign and I was given my first branch officer job in maintenance, I went straight to the Chief and gave him the only order I ever gave. "Tell me if I am in the way, and teach me what I need to know".

Another LT Stanley story. When the hand held GPS devices first were issued to us they were this big bulky box than had to be held steady and level to get 3 satellites. You could spend 10 minutes trying to get a position fix if you ever got the 3 birds. Stanley loved it and insisted on using it. So one night had about 12-15ks to move so he could be at a battalion op order at 5-6 in the morning. Not to brag but I was an ace at land nav but Stanley insisted we stop ever 15-20 minutes to check the GPS and he decided it was correct and I was wrong. We didn't make the op order and the ****er blamed me.

Another LT Stanley story. When the hand held GPS devices first were issued to us they were this big bulky box than had to be held steady and level to get 3 satellites. You could spend 10 minutes trying to get a position fix if you ever got the 3 birds. Stanley loved it and insisted on using it. So one night had about 12-15ks to move so he could be at a battalion op order at 5-6 in the morning. Not to brag but I was an ace at land nav but Stanley insisted we stop ever 15-20 minutes to check the GPS and he decided it was correct and I was wrong. We didn't make the op order and the ****er blamed me.

Those things sucked hard.

The DAGR wasn't much better. I know a lot of guys that just took in a commercial Garmin downrange and never looked back.

It was different when the satellites were encrypted. Not such a big deal these days.

Reactions: RavinDave and AM64
Those things sucked hard.

The DAGR wasn't much better. I know a lot of guys that just took in a commercial Garmin downrange and never looked back.

It was different when the satellites were encrypted. Not such a big deal these days.

Now I would absolutely have a garmin or similar with me issued or not.

I've heard that if the GPS gets knocked out we'd be toast, hardly anyone can do basic land nav anymore.

I've heard that if the GPS gets knocked out we'd be toast, hardly anyone can do basic land nav anymore.

That's actually something I do remember pretty well. Of course, I taught it for four years, so there is that.

Our boats run into each other, and our helos crash even with all the tech we have.

Plus whatever the Marins are doing.

Just had a momentary crisis. Stopped at the grocery store on my way home and came out looking for my car. Didn't find it and got concerned.

Until I remembered I have the work truck today...

It would really mess up guided munitions. They ping off satellites and if they were out they'd have greatly reduced capabilities.

@McDad

Here's one for you to try out next time you're out.

408-1-jpg.84270

VN Store

Back