Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

My SOP since Kiffin is to be pessimistic on the new hire. It has served me well.
Huey doesn't do much to change my approach.

...except, his offense is impressive. The game favors the offense now. It doesn't concern me he had worse W/L records each successive year. His recruiting and defensive plan are concerning.

UT is either unwilling (not so sure of that with the AD hire) or incapable (believe this more than 3, 8, 12 years ago) of hiring the sure-fire, proven winner; of which there is only 1 not currently coaching. Bob Stoops [insert your version of can't miss hire] isn't coming.

I've never understood why any fan base thinks a P5 coach who's building a good program (Campbell) would decide to just up and move to another program and start over.

We aren't going to pay the amount of money they are going to want for a lateral move especially with possible sanctions looming.

It's like those idiots in Texas thinking Lincoln Riley would take the Longhorns job if offered. He's probably a year away from being a National Championship contender. Why is the hell would be move?

His Dad is an AD. His brother coaches Florida men's hoops. His other brother is an AD. His sister is an assistant AD. At least one of those somebodies is getting by on the family name, and with our luck, it's the guy we hired.

Hiring your coach from the school you came from is exactly the kind of move you would expect from a guy getting by on his family name.

Reactions: AM64
Hiring your coach from the school you came from is exactly the kind of move you would expect from a guy getting by on his family name.

Actually, some of my contacts at OU think this was a pretty solid hire for an AD. They like the way he operates and think he's ready for the big time at a P5 school.

We'll see if they're right.

I've never understood why any fan base thinks a P5 coach who's building a good program (Campbell) would decide to just up and move to another program and start over.

We aren't going to pay the amount of money they are going to want for a lateral move especially with possible sanctions looming.

It's like those idiots in Texas thinking Lincoln Riley would take the Longhorns job if offered. He's probably a year away from being a National Championship contender. Why is the hell would be move?

Because it's Iowa St. He can be Dabo Swinney and he's not going to win a natty there.

The 'on the rise' coaches are what we fans need. If Campbell, B Stoops, et al are hired this fan base would be psychotic with unreasonable expectations.
With Huey, we expect to win 5 and if he wins 7 we are happy.

Expectations are funny things.

The 'on the rise' coaches are what we fans need. If Campbell, B Stoops, et al are hired this fan base would be psychotic with unreasonable expectations.

Well, we own it now..

Heupel is as good as we could reasonably expect to do imo. Nobody is gonna make a lateral move to Tennessee at this point.

But we should be beating Bama every year.

Also, I wonder if Clemson fans thought the same thing when Dabo was hired. If memory serves, the despised him the first few years he was there.

Pretty sure they're good with the hire now.

I think you're missing my point. Clemson is a real program with rich tradition, history, HS talent surrounding them, etc. Just like us. Iowa St is none of these things.

I think you're missing my point. Clemson is a real program with rich tradition, history, HS talent surrounding them, etc. Just like us. Iowa St is none of these things.

No, I get your point. But it's also a very 1980 way of thinking about recruiting and whatnot. Recruits very rarely go to schools based on "tradition" or "history." With the rise of conference networks and additional games being broadcast, they go to schools where they will get exposure. Schools get exposure by winning and get better and more TV time slots.

Gone are the days where states and regions can lock in talent just because they are the state school or whatever. If that was the case, no player would ever leave Texas or Florida or California to play college ball. Yeah, I think there is a bit of pride there for the school in your backyard, but if you're a 5 Star recruit from Austin and Nick Saban comes calling, you're going to really think hard about loyalties at that point.

Regardless, Campbell has done a pretty good job of pushing Iowa State to a new level. Given time, I think he will make a run at the Big 12 championship before long. But there is no reason for him to give up what he's built and continuing to build there to start over at Tennessee.

No, I get your point. But it's also a very 1980 way of thinking about recruiting and whatnot. Recruits very rarely go to schools based on "tradition" or "history." With the rise of conference networks and additional games being broadcast, they go to schools where they will get exposure. Schools get exposure by winning and get better and more TV time slots.

Gone are the days where states and regions can lock in talent just because they are the state school or whatever. If that was the case, no player would ever leave Texas or Florida or California to play college ball. Yeah, I think there is a bit of pride there for the school in your backyard, but if you're a 5 Star recruit from Austin and Nick Saban comes calling, you're going to really think hard about loyalties at that point.

Regardless, Campbell has done a pretty good job of pushing Iowa State to a new level. Given time, I think he will make a run at the Big 12 championship before long. But there is no reason for him to give up what he's built and continuing to build there to start over at Tennessee.

Even if history/tradition are not the reason specifically that they're going to Tennessee, those factors bleed into other things. Tennessee is still an elite program in terms of $ and facilities, specifically because of our history and tradition. We have a huge rabid fan base that will make you into a god if you are a Heisman candidate. If you're a god in Ames*, cool, but it's not even close to the same thing as Knoxville.

*Do most CFB fans even know what city ISU plays in?

We do. Just not in Football.

It sucks they've hired the best coach in the business. Our hope rests not in who we hire but when he retires.

Its funny to consider that Saban wasn't even their first choice and how close they came to hiring rich Rodriguez.

My SOP since Kiffin is to be pessimistic on the new hire. It has served me well.
Huey doesn't do much to change my approach.

...except, his offense is impressive. The game favors the offense now. It doesn't concern me he had worse W/L records each successive year. His recruiting and defensive plan are concerning.

UT is either unwilling (not so sure of that with the AD hire) or incapable (believe this more than 3, 8, 12 years ago) of hiring the sure-fire, proven winner; of which there is only 1 not currently coaching. Bob Stoops [insert your version of can't miss hire] isn't coming.

I don't believe that we will pay for a Big Game Bob or Matt Campbell type coach and the administration doesn't care enough about winning or have the balls to hire a Freeze or Kiffin. When the dust settles I think we'll find out that DW was shooting low from the get go.

VN Store

Back