Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

I don't believe that we will pay for a Big Game Bob or Matt Campbell type coach and the administration doesn't care enough about winning or have the balls to hire a Freeze or Kiffin. When the dust settles I think we'll find out that DW was shooting low from the get go.
The turn down list is posted in the FF.

You will not like it. I advise you avoid the thread.

The 'on the rise' coaches are what we fans need. If Campbell, B Stoops, et al are hired this fan base would be psychotic with unreasonable expectations.
With Huey, we expect to win 5 and if he wins 7 we are happy.

Expectations are funny things.

I'll never be happy with 7 wins. That being said I'm now Huepels biggest fan because if succeeds we succeed but in my gut I know that he's just another loser in a long line of them.

Reactions: AM64
I'll never be happy with 7 wins. That being said I'm now Huepels biggest fan because if succeeds we succeed but in my gut I know that he's just another loser in a long line of them.

We gonna see.

DW has a better track record than all of us combined.

No, I get your point. But it's also a very 1980 way of thinking about recruiting and whatnot. Recruits very rarely go to schools based on "tradition" or "history." With the rise of conference networks and additional games being broadcast, they go to schools where they will get exposure. Schools get exposure by winning and get better and more TV time slots.

Gone are the days where states and regions can lock in talent just because they are the state school or whatever. If that was the case, no player would ever leave Texas or Florida or California to play college ball. Yeah, I think there is a bit of pride there for the school in your backyard, but if you're a 5 Star recruit from Austin and Nick Saban comes calling, you're going to really think hard about loyalties at that point.

Regardless, Campbell has done a pretty good job of pushing Iowa State to a new level. Given time, I think he will make a run at the Big 12 championship before long. But there is no reason for him to give up what he's built and continuing to build there to start over at Tennessee.

I really think it's going to get tougher to hire even a good G5 coach that's having success at that level. G5 HCs are getting 2 and 3 mil a year at several schools so I would understand a guy asking "is another 2-3 mil a year worth the pressure of the SEC"?

Even if history/tradition are not the reason specifically that they're going to Tennessee, those factors bleed into other things. Tennessee is still an elite program in terms of $ and facilities, specifically because of our history and tradition. We have a huge rabid fan base that will make you into a god if you are a Heisman candidate. If you're a god in Ames*, cool, but it's not even close to the same thing as Knoxville.

*Do most CFB fans even know what city ISU plays in?

Only takes one coach to start history and tradition.

Heupel is as good as we could reasonably expect to do imo. Nobody is gonna make a lateral move to Tennessee at this point.
This hurts me in my feels. I probably didn't watch 5 hours of UT football last year, I can't see the point. We'll be in the doldrums for a long time.

As a side note, SEC schools have paid $178M in coach buyouts since Saban arrived at Alabama. That's unreal.

This hurts me in my feels. I probably didn't watch 5 hours of UT football last year, I can't see the point. We'll be in the doldrums for a long time.

As a side note, SEC schools have paid $178M in coach buyouts since Saban arrived at Alabama. That's unreal.
Half of that is probably UT.

Its not worth becoming too invested in UT football anymore. I'll be a passive observer in the future and just hope we strike gold with a coach one day.

Soooooooo underwhelming.

But if you’re an accomplished coach and a reasonable commodity you look at our depleted talent pool, our looming NCAA crackdown, and you say “nope!” without a second thought.

Our idiot rabid fan base doesn’t factor into that decision at all. Successful programs come with expectations from the fan base. Expressing those expectations in idiot fashion is just how we roll

Soooooooo underwhelming.

But if you’re an accomplished coach and a reasonable commodity you look at our depleted talent pool, our looming NCAA crackdown, and you say “nope!” without a second thought.

Our idiot rabid fan base doesn’t factor into that decision at all. Successful programs come with expectations from the fan base. Expressing those expectations in idiot fashion is just how we roll

Honestly, I don't think the fans' expectations are all that unreasonable. Pruitt generally had widespread support until we got hammered by KY in Neyland.

Heupel doesn’t look like a bad head coach. He just isn’t proven to be an elite head coach. Pruitt has shown he is indeed a bad head coach. So at that alone this is an upgrade. Remains to be seen how good of an upgrade.

People point to how Heupel hasn’t maintained what Frost built. Frost is currently falling on his face at Nebraska. They are both playing in the big leagues now.

Honestly, I don't think the fans' expectations are all that unreasonable. Pruitt generally had widespread support until we got hammered by KY in Neyland.
Oh I don’t think the expectations are bad either. We should expect to be a competitive program. We just aren’t right now and we express our disappointment in our own unique bat **** crazy way.

I don't mind the hire. I knew we weren't getting an elite coach on just one of our routine every 3 to 4 year hiring binge, but throw the looming NCAA sanctions in and that knocked us down to a lower tier mid-major on the attractive scale. I am excited to see what he can do with the offense though and if I recall his offense beat the brakes off of us when he was the OC at Mizzou. Saban has even admitted that the game has moved to an offensive centered game and away from defense.

You know the other side of the coin is the only reason we got Heupel is because it was White that came calling. I wouldn’t necessarily assume he was chomping at the bit with our current situation

Reactions: volfanhill
Oh I don’t think the expectations are bad either. We should expect to be a competitive program. We just aren’t right now and we express our disappointment in our own unique bat **** crazy way.
You can only appreciate this level of bat shat crazy bc you are married to a Latina. This isn't normal for the rest of us.

VN Store

Back