Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

When has it happened in a place like Ames in the last 40 years? The only "new" elite programs that I can think of are in places like Tallahassee, surrounded by talent.

Elite is subjective, but what about Boise State?

Oregon?

UCF?

TCU?

Baylor?

Even programs like South Carolina, Cal, Minnesota and Iowa State were homecoming doormats in the not so distant past that are respectable opponents now. Well, USCe is kinda trending back that way, but they aren't a pushover most of the time.

Reactions: AM64
Also there is a small silver lining in this. We never have to hear the passing game referred to as the “throw game” ever again. You cannot discount that.

I don't mind the hire. I knew we weren't getting an elite coach on just one of our routine every 3 to 4 year hiring binge, but throw the looming NCAA sanctions in and that knocked us down to a lower tier mid-major on the attractive scale. I am excited to see what he can do with the offense though and if I recall his offense beat the brakes off of us when he was the OC at Mizzou. Saban has even admitted that the game has moved to an offensive centered game and away from defense.

We’re not getting hammered by the NCAA. Sanctions will be mild.

Hiring your coach from the school you came from is exactly the kind of move you would expect from a guy getting by on his family name.

Yeah, kinda makes you wish you had just stayed in bed. I don't like the business type ADs, but White seemed like there was at least some potential - especially when he talked up his connections to the sports world. All this is making me think we wound up with an improved Hart at AD and BJ v2 at coach. My only positive on the long term outlook is that it wasn't Franklin or Freeze.

The worst part is based on an article I read last night about new SEC coaches and revamped Air Raid type offenses. Either they get a quick TD or go 3 and out. The result is the defense is back on the field again - later in the game it's a gassed defense on the field again, and they get shredded. It's like coaches from the minor leagues don't know about defense and they can't scale up to SEC type play. If teams that play that game had two complete defenses to rotate in, it might work; but these guys are flash and dash and don't understand defense, so BJ all over again with a slow undersized defense.

Elite is subjective, but what about Boise State?

Oregon?

UCF?

TCU?

Baylor?

Even programs like South Carolina, Cal, Minnesota and Iowa State were homecoming doormats in the not so distant past that are respectable opponents now. Well, USCe is kinda trending back that way, but they aren't a pushover most of the time.

I thought of Oregon when I was away from my computer too, which isn't exactly surrounded by talent but the Nike branding/$ is sure nice, so that would help to explain why they are an exception to my rule. UCF, TCU, and Baylor are not on the level I am talking about and TCU and Baylor and UCF are all surrounded by HS talent. Iowa St can be TCU. They can have a 1 or 2 loss team here and there, sure. They have never had a team that can win a CFB playoff. Tennessee doesn't have that ceiling.

Last edited:
I don't mind the hire. I knew we weren't getting an elite coach on just one of our routine every 3 to 4 year hiring binge, but throw the looming NCAA sanctions in and that knocked us down to a lower tier mid-major on the attractive scale. I am excited to see what he can do with the offense though and if I recall his offense beat the brakes off of us when he was the OC at Mizzou. Saban has even admitted that the game has moved to an offensive centered game and away from defense.

I think targeting and legalized holding by offensive lines have changed to game to offensively offensive - not so much coaching wizardry as people tinkering with the rules. The other part is we've become a culture overly impressed by image and flash - easier to look good catching a long pass and doing a show in the end zone than delivering slobberknockers - assuming someone doesn't get a penalty for delivering slobberknockers - we've become wimps, too.

Agreed. Relationships matter.

Which is the basis for retired coaches as ADs. An old buddy can talk someone into doing things that most people couldn't do. Business type ADs don't know the right buttons to push ... Fulmer might not have been the right guy, but there are some great ex coach ADs around.

I think targeting and legalized holding by offensive lines have changed to game to offensively offensive - not so much coaching wizardry as people tinkering with the rules. The other part is we've become a culture overly impressed by image and flash - easier to look good catching a long pass and doing a show in the end zone than delivering slobberknockers - assuming someone doesn't get a penalty for delivering slobberknockers - we've become wimps, too.
The first time I see a QB with a man bun I'm done with football.

Reactions: AM64
Which is the basis for retired coaches as ADs. An old buddy can talk someone into doing things that most people couldn't do. Business type ADs don't know the right buttons to push ... Fulmer might not have been the right guy, but there are some great ex coach ADs around.

The old buddy AD model is a thing of the past. ADs now have to be CEOs.

The old buddy AD model is a thing of the past. ADs now have to be CEOs.

I don't think so, hog; the current culture just minimizes the importance. I saw recently that a drugstore chain just hired a CEO from Panera maybe. I despise that kind of thinking because it presumes no one really needs to know the business to run a business; and those business when they fail to get it right do it spectacularly - like Boeing. It's the culture coming out of universities, and business and education are the two worst - the rave is that it's better to know how to teach or how to manage than know the subject. Just because you can bake cookies doesn't mean you can bake airplanes. It's semi working because everybody is doing it - of course, China is eating our lunch while we do it.

Reactions: RavinDave
I thought of Oregon when I was away from my computer too, which isn't exactly surrounded by talent but the Nike branding/$ is sure nice, so that would help to explain why they are an exception to my rule. UCF, TCU, and Baylor are not on the level I am talking about and TCU and Baylor and UCF are all surrounded by HS talent. Iowa St can be TCU. They can have a 1 or 2 loss team here and there, sure. They have never had a team that can win a CFB playoff. Tennessee doesn't have that ceiling.

Oregon did have the advantage of Phil Knight and the absurd amount of money he dropped on that program, so, kinda an exception to the rule.

Facing facts, there aren't a lot of teams out there right now that can challenge for the playoffs with the current four team model. I think most if not all teams not named: Bama, OSU, OU and Clemson have really bad odds on getting in unless the stars align perfectly like we saw with LSU and Notre Dame.

Even the Vols...

Regardless, I don't see why our fan base felt like Campbell would have moved. Yeah, we have a "legacy" here, nice facilities and inroads into recruiting the South. But Bergstrom is actually pretty nice as football facilities go, seen it myself and I was impressed. Not what one might expect in Iowa by any means.

The difference now is Campbell is building a team he wants at ISU and he's making waves in the Big 12 by slowly making progress. Like @McDad said, expectations are funny things. Can he win championships consistently? Probably not as Oklahoma is making huge strides in the conference. Can he make the title game and be competitive? Absolutely. Especially if Texas continues being, well, Texas and playing coaching merry-go-round like we do.

No matter what, there was no reason for him to come to Tennessee where the expectations were going to be absurd in his first year.

Reactions: RavinDave and AM64
Oregon did have the advantage of Phil Knight and the absurd amount of money he dropped on that program, so, kinda an exception to the rule.

Facing facts, there aren't a lot of teams out there right now that can challenge for the playoffs with the current four team model. I think most if not all teams not named: Bama, OSU, OU and Clemson have really bad odds on getting in unless the stars align perfectly like we saw with LSU and Notre Dame.

Even the Vols...

Regardless, I don't see why our fan base felt like Campbell would have moved. Yeah, we have a "legacy" here, nice facilities and inroads into recruiting the South. But Bergstrom is actually pretty nice as football facilities go, seen it myself and I was impressed. Not what one might expect in Iowa by any means.

The difference now is Campbell is building a team he wants at ISU and he's making waves in the Big 12 by slowly making progress. Like @McDad said, expectations are funny things. Can he win championships consistently? Probably not as Oklahoma is making huge strides in the conference. Can he make the title game and be competitive? Absolutely. Especially if Texas continues being, well, Texas and playing coaching merry-go-round like we do.

No matter what, there was no reason for him to come to Tennessee where the expectations were going to be absurd in his first year.

And maybe he's just holding out for a better job. I'm not surprised that he turned us down, I just don't see Tennessee as a lateral move, especially if he is a program builder.

Even the Vols...

Three and out is no way to entice a coach to come and try to build a winning team - that's for sure.

VN Store

Back