Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

I have a 2019 Dodge Ram available.

But wth would I want with a measly 1 kW generator?

On the other hand, if it's enough to just power one well pump it could have saved me untold misery and plumbing repairs on cracked PVC pipes that are above ground and carrying well water to parts of my warehouse... but it's about 24 hours too late for that lol.

Fact is, what started out as a supposedly 6-hour rolling blackout has now extended to more than 24 hours without power... and still counting.
I feel for you. I just bought the generator to charge batteries when camping and when I bought a motorhome I didn't need it. It is big enough to power a fridge or a TV and charge phones. This winter reminds me of the winter when Knoxville hit -24 degrees back in the 1980's.

Reactions: AM64 and RavinDave
I have a 2019 Dodge Ram available.

But wth would I want with a measly 1 kW generator?

On the other hand, if it's enough to just power one well pump it could have saved me untold misery and plumbing repairs on cracked PVC pipes that are above ground and carrying well water to parts of my warehouse... but it's about 24 hours too late for that lol.

Fact is, what started out as a supposedly 6-hour rolling blackout has now extended to more than 24 hours without power... and still counting.

Well the generator is more reliable than the Dodge.......

Reactions: AM64 and VolStrom
I feel for you. I just bought the generator to charge batteries when camping and when I bought a motorhome I didn't need it. It is big enough to power a fridge or a TV and charge phones. This winter reminds me of the winter when Knoxville hit -24 degrees back in the 1980's.
I've been considering backup generators for both home and warehouse property. Home would be pretty straightforward since we have natural gas, but for the warehouse I'd have to go diesel or propane. Kicking myself in the rear for not having done something along those lines already. Usually it's hurricanes and thunderstorms that cause power outages, but in the new world of Green Energy things are not so simple.

I know you're a big fan of windmills (like me), so you should get a kick out of this, from a text my wife sent me an hour ago with a picture of a helicopter hovering next to a windmill: "A helicopter running on fossil fuel spraying a chemical made from fossil fuels onto a wind turbine made with fossil fuels during an ice storm is awesome."

She sent another text this morning with an article about the weather-induced energy crisis in Texas which mentioned to my surprise that Texas now gets about 1/3rd of its energy from the wind... at least, when the wind is blowing, and the turbines ain't froze up from ice. It also mentioned how Governor Abbott recently accepted an award for the most wind turbines in a state or something to that effect. Gag me with a spoon.

I've been considering backup generators for both home and warehouse property. Home would be pretty straightforward since we have natural gas, but for the warehouse I'd have to go diesel or propane. Kicking myself in the rear for not having done something along those lines already. Usually it's hurricanes and thunderstorms that cause power outages, but in the new world of Green Energy things are not so simple.

I know you're a big fan of windmills (like me), so you should get a kick out of this, from a text my wife sent me an hour ago with a picture of a helicopter hovering next to a windmill: "A helicopter running on fossil fuel spraying a chemical made from fossil fuels onto a wind turbine made with fossil fuels during an ice storm is awesome."

She sent another text this morning with an article about the weather-induced energy crisis in Texas which mentioned to my surprise that Texas now gets about 1/3rd of its energy from the wind... at least, when the wind is blowing, and the turbines ain't froze up from ice. It also mentioned how Governor Abbott recently accepted an award for the most wind turbines in a state or something to that effect. Gag me with a spoon.
Luckily in TN TVA recently finished Watts Bar reactor #2 and we have more nuclear power available close to me than we need unless the TVA decides to whore itself out and supply power to Texas for more money.

I signed the contract on a backup generator for the house back in November. Still not installed, generac is way behind on manufacturing and installer is either a lazy POS or busier than heck playing catch-up.

I signed the contract on a backup generator for the house back in November. Still not installed, generac is way behind on manufacturing and installer is either a lazy POS or busier than heck playing catch-up.
Generac is going to be getting behinder before they get caught up would be my guess. I might be going on their backlog list myself before long.

One of our good neighbors, a retired Delta pilot (and former Marine) who lives across the street, got one of those a few years ago. He smart.

Reactions: AM64 and hog88
Luckily in TN TVA recently finished Watts Bar reactor #2 and we have more nuclear power available close to me than we need unless the TVA decides to whore itself out and supply power to Texas for more money.
They must have started the permitting process on that one more than 20 years ago.

Generac is going to be getting behinder before they get caught up would be my guess. I might be going on their backlog list myself before long.

One of our good neighbors, a retired Delta pilot (and former Marine) who lives across the street, got one of those a few years ago. He smart.

Thankfully we haven’t lost power (yet) if we do I’ll be pissed!

Everything seems to be backed up. I think manufacturers scaled everything for the demand at time and when covid hit it f'd everything up. What used to take a couple of days now seems to take a couple of months.

Reactions: AM64
They must have started the permitting process on that one more than 20 years ago.
I think it was more than 40 years ago. They canceled it and then started it again about 10+ years ago. I have a buddy that is a retiree from there and is working as a contractor to move it from and analog plant to digital, lol!

Anybody ever use a lawyer to get out of a speeding ticket? Spoke with one and she said there are no guarantees but feels like she can get from 20 mph over to 14 mph, whgich apparently would not report to insurance in GA. Would basically cost me about $750 for her fees, fine and court costs,

Now I uuse Geico and have no idea what my premium would go up to, but found a little statament online that talked about points and although I would loose my Good Driver dicount of $180/year, it seems to indicate that only a point would be on my record "in excesss of 20 mph", which if applied would give a 45% premium, which puts it about $700/year adder.

Now what I dont understand is "in excess of 20 mph" I am at 20, so I would assume by that language it is 21+ mph.

Deicisions decisions...well do ya feel lucky punk? Do ya?

Reactions: RavinDave
Anybody ever use a lawyer to get out of a speeding ticket? Spoke with one and she said there are no guarantees but feels like she can get from 20 mph over to 14 mph, whgich apparently would not report to insurance in GA. Would basically cost me about $750 for her fees, fine and court costs,

Now I uuse Geico and have no idea what my premium would go up to, but found a little statament online that talked about points and although I would loose my Good Driver dicount of $180/year, it seems to indicate that only a point would be on my record "in excesss of 20 mph", which if applied would give a 45% premium, which puts it about $700/year adder.

Now what I dont understand is "in excess of 20 mph" I am at 20, so I would assume by that language it is 21+ mph.

Deicisions decisions...well do ya feel lucky punk? Do ya?
She sounds like the dude I used a few times in Houston about 40 years ago. Without him I might of lost my license to drive that 911. I was a bit lead footed back in the day. But that car was a damm cop magnet.

She sounds like the dude I used a few times in Houston about 40 years ago. Without him I might of lost my license to drive that 911. I was a bit lead footed back in the day. But that car was a damm cop magnet.

Cop magnet = Black Trans AM ... Smokey & the Bandit kind. I wanted one so bad after watching that movie.

The whole house, 2 ACs, everything. It’s got a smart management system so hard starts won’t overload it. Runs of the NG coming to the house.

Be interesting to see if you ran for a month just on NG vs electricity to see how costs stack up. Or just look at fuel consumption KW efficiency vs $/ KW electric. Who knows depending on where electricty prices might be headed.

VN Store

Back