Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

Just found my wife's phone. It's been lost for a day. Tell your wives if they are going to forget where they put them to at least keep the things charged so you can hear the ringer. It was no where close to where she said she left it ... as usual. Froze my butt off searching her car again this afternoon.
In my case it’s usually the wife helping me find my glasses or whatever I may have misplaced that day.

Easier to justify if you live in Texas LOL JMO TIFWIW

I read an article about TX power woes today. Some I thought was probably right; but the part about TX being independent, not subject to federal regulation, and being more fragile was probably somewhat BS. The commentary went that TX went big on solar and wind which don't work well right now, and the plants running on natural gas are having supply problems. I'm not a proponent at all of using natural gas to produce electricity. It's easy enough - not much more than a couple of cowboys with money to spend, hopped up turbines (think 747 engines) hooked to a generator, and cheap NG. The problem is they aren't real utilities who have to deal with base load, and intermittent power to the grid is a big problem for real utilities trying to meet demand and balance operating costs. It sounds like the NG/electric units are one of those interruptible schemes buying excess gas, but cut off when everybody needs it most - which can coincide with when electric generation is in short supply.

Reactions: RavinDave
I read an article about TX power woes today. Some I thought was probably right; but the part about TX being independent, not subject to federal regulation, and being more fragile was probably somewhat BS. The commentary went that TX went big on solar and wind which don't work well right now, and the plants running on natural gas are having supply problems. I'm not a proponent at all of using natural gas to produce electricity. It's easy enough - not much more than a couple of cowboys with money to spend, hopped up turbines (think 747 engines) hooked to a generator, and cheap NG. The problem is they aren't real utilities who have to deal with base load, and intermittent power to the grid is a big problem for real utilities trying to meet demand and balance operating costs. It sounds like the NG/electric units are one of those interruptible schemes buying excess gas, but cut off when everybody needs it most - which can coincide with when electric generation is in short supply.
Having no power at my warehouse for 24+ hours straight does little for my confidence in how the state is being run. But it sounds like an interesting article. Do you have a link?

Having no power at my warehouse for 24+ hours straight does little for my confidence in how the state is being run. But it sounds like an interesting article. Do you have a link?

I think I read a different story first on my phone, but this one is very close. I found another story that said the NG plants were having problems related to low line pressure. That would seem to indicate just a lot of use rather than interruptible supply like I first thought.

Why Texas' energy grid is unable to handle the winter storms

Reactions: RavinDave
After 2 days, our power was restored about 30 minutes ago. I've had us on generator power since Sunday evening. My neighbors needed some electricity for heaters, so I let them hook up to ours. Realizing I had the perfect opportunity and knowing they're sci-fi fans like myself, I unplugged their extension cords and called them, asking one question...

tenor.gif

My wife said that was just wrong. My twisted sense of humor thought it was hilarious. I'm sure I'll be on the receiving end of some payback later on. All in good fun.

I did the same when I had my muscle car. I was doing a good 130 when I envisioned a tire blowout on I-40.
I shut that thing down pretty quick. Never went that fast again. Had an angel on my shoulder that day I believe.
I miss that muscle car though from time to time ..... good old days.
Me and another guy that also had a Mustang got ours up to 130 on I-40 westbound between Bellevue and Fairview. We were side by side.....I wasn’t scared until I started trying to slow down.... I learned it takes longer to get from 130 to 80 than it does from 80-0

Going to make the escape out of Middle Tennessee to Knoxville before the next snow hits this afternoon. Wish me luck.
Best wishes for safe travels. If you get stranded in the weather, there's no shame in sacrificing a tauntaun to climb inside their body cavity for warmth and shelter.

Best wishes for safe travels. If you get stranded in the weather, there's no shame in sacrificing a tauntaun to climb inside their body cavity for warmth and shelter.

I think my innocence died somewhere between that scene and watching DeCaprio pull the same move with a horse as John Glass in The Revenant.

Regardless, I know this is your way of saying you care <3

Beef meatballs or Italian sausage?

Or both...?
Neither.

Meatballs are too sweet, and you have to break them into bite size pieces to get the right amount of sauce and noodle to make it part of the spaghetti experience.

The sausage has the wrong texture and is another case of conflicting flavors.

Give me a nice thick and chunky sauce, with seasoned ground beef.

Neither.

Meatballs are too sweet, and you have to break them into bite size pieces to get the right amount of sauce and noodle to make it part of the spaghetti experience.

The sausage has the wrong texture and is another case of conflicting flavors.

Give me a nice thick and chunky sauce, with seasoned ground beef.

I've got some thick and ch---

Nevermind.

VN Store

Back