Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

I was just messin. The N2 molecules are smaller, yet the orfice or leak is fixed size, so no difference. More N2 molecules escape, but there are more contained.
i was thinking both oxygen and nitrogen are paired, and since they are only one atomic number apart I can't imagine there is that much of a size difference.

i am just going off of what I remember from high school chemistry so I was enjoying the brain stretch.

i was thinking both oxygen and nitrogen are paired, and since they are only one atomic number apart I can't imagine there is that much of a size difference.

i am just going off of what I remember from high chemistry so I was enjoying the brain stretch.

The only thing I remember from high school chemistry was the cute blonde sitting in front of me.

i am just going off of what I remember from high school chemistry so I was enjoying the brain stretch.

You would be surprised. There is a molecular sieve that catches O2 molecules but lets the N2 molecules pass through. N2 Generators are very simple and how the AirGas people separate their gases.

I was just messin. The N2 molecules are smaller, yet the orfice or leak is fixed size, so no difference. More N2 molecules escape, but there are more contained.

My challenge right now is figuring out how water molecules from outside invade the inside of a 100 year old house - and how best to handle it. From what I'm seeing now I think a whole house dehumidifier rather than one that dehumidifies the crawlspace. I'm using a portable dehumidifier in the house now and keeping it in the 40-45% range (and dumping 5 - 10 gal per day). I moved the outside temp and humidity sensor to under the house and the humidity is matching what it was on the porch - about 80% since it's rained in M Tn since last Thursday night. Since the humidity went up when I turned the heat on earlier today, I'm not betting against the ductwork being a partial issue - I'm having all that replaced sometime this spring anyway.

My challenge right now is figuring out how water molecules from outside invade the inside of a 100 year old house - and how best to handle it. From what I'm seeing now I think a whole house dehumidifier rather than one that dehumidifies the crawlspace. I'm using a portable dehumidifier in the house now and keeping it in the 40-45% range (and dumping 5 - 10 gal per day). I moved the outside temp and humidity sensor to under the house and the humidity is matching what it was on the porch - about 80% since it's rained in M Tn since last Thursday night. Since the humidity went up when I turned the heat on earlier today, I'm not betting against the ductwork being a partial issue - I'm having all that replaced sometime this spring anyway.

You back up in VA? now?

You back up in VA? now?

No, I moved from VA a long time ago. We live in Hamilton Co (Chattanooga hasn't gotten us yet), but I also have my parent's old house in M TN, so I'm bouncing between houses. I'd settle happily in M TN if I could get my wife out of Chattanooga - she will inherit her dad's house one of these days, and that's in M TN, too ... so maybe one of these days while we're still moving on our own.

Reactions: Orangeburst
But, some humor always sets me in a better mood.

e768a634-4c81-4215-9d61-f1cdb09233b3-jpeg.84974

My wife and I have always had manual transmissions, but that's pretty certainly not going to be available in her next car, so she asked what I though about paddle shifters. My answer was I never really thought about them at all, but overall they seem to be a gimmick. I suppose they could be an answer to an automatic that can't seem to get the message, though.
Same here. paddle shifters are BS. We have always had manual cars. My next... and probably last will be as well.

Reactions: AM64
My kid has been in first place in her grade for reading minutes. She logs her time on some app on my wife's phone. Last night she logged her time and checked her lead and found out she's in second. She was really disappointed. The kid now in the lead has 100,000,028 minutes.

I thought about telling her it's just a mistake and she's still winning, but just in case it turns out to be legit I told her she was shaming our family and needs to try harder.

My kid has been in first place in her grade for reading minutes. She logs her time on some app on my wife's phone. Last night she logged her time and checked her lead and found out she's in second. She was really disappointed. The kid now in the lead has 100,000,028 minutes.

I thought about telling her it's just a mistake and she's still winning, but just in case it turns out to be legit I told her she was shaming our family and needs to try harder.
hahaha

That made my night. Thank you.

Cop out..RavinDave wanna be.

Just kiddin around.
Other than N2 most of the other molecules in air are O2, and after that Argon. Both are a bit higher MW than N2. So to your tongue-in-cheek hypothetical, I'd say O2 egresses a little slower from a molecule-size leak than N2 but argon being a monoatomic rather than diatomic... argon might be even slower... like a softball compared to two baseballs glued together, which one slips quicker through a baseball-size hole?

Reminds me, I got a slow leak in one of the front tires on my F150, got to add air about once a week.

The only thing I remember from high school chemistry was the cute blonde sitting in front of me.
My high school chemistry teacher's main subject was Home Economics. So I ended up helping her teach class.

Edit: and no, I didn't take Home Ec...

You would be surprised. There is a molecular sieve that catches O2 molecules but lets the N2 molecules pass through. N2 Generators are very simple and how the AirGas people separate their gases.
I've sold a few small orders of Deoxo catalyst (palladium type) to companies who make N2 generators. If they need to produce a real high purity N2, they need a catalytic converter to knock out the last bit of O2 by adding a bit of H2 in front of the catalyst which combines the O2 and H2 to form water (which is then more easily removed by molecular sieves).

VN Store

Back