Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

@apevol

1355d56f-51f6-427b-a497-46da6564b081-jpeg.85025

Anyone know where I can get one of them Infinity Gauntlets so I can snap half the population out of existence?

Reactions: AM64
Proud parents moment: at a ceremony tonight we learned our son is graduating 11th out of 350 and was voted "Most Intellectual" in his senior class. He invited and honored the teacher who set him on an academic path back in middle school. It was the first time in her 15 year career of working with gifted/special-needs kids a student did that for her.

There are many challenging days as parents. There's so much more to navigate compared to when I was in high school. Fortunately, there are some bright spots along the way to balance this parenting gig out. This was definitely a good day.

Big ups on keeping him in the right track, I've got two boys who are juniors and am amazed at the amount of things they're able to juggle. They don't get there without tons of love on support, congrats to you and your boy for the achievement.

Finally had a convergence of decent weather, my shoulder healed, and a weekend day for me to get my boat back out.

I had gas in it that was from last September or so and I didn’t add fuel stabilizer. Put the normal cleaner stuff in but no stabilizer. I knew it world be down on HP but crap... only 68 mph @ 5700 RPM 😥

Oh well new has in with the proper additive cocktail mix so should be fine now. And I’m only gonna put 15 gallons in at a time from now on too.

Finally had a convergence of decent weather, my shoulder healed, and a weekend day for me to get my boat back out.

I had gas in it that was from last September or so and I didn’t add fuel stabilizer. Put the normal cleaner stuff in but no stabilizer. I knew it world be down on HP but crap... only 68 mph @ 5700 RPM 😥

Oh well new has in with the proper additive cocktail mix so should be fine now. And I’m only gonna put 15 gallons in at a time from now on too.
I always try to use E85 fuel in boats and weed eaters, I find that works best, you should try it.

The best stuff I've found is Red Line SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner. It's expensive, but it works. I started out on a trip, and my Toyota truck almost quit running. I nursed it along for about ten miles and stopped at an auto parts store. I'd replaced the clutch in my SHO earlier and the kit included Red Line transmission fluid, so I thought what the heck and picked up the Red Line fuel system cleaner. The miss was almost gone by the time I got out of the parking lot, and completely gone within a few miles. I was honestly expecting to have to turn around - that I had a much bigger problem, but I'm a believer in trying the reasonable simplest solutions first.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
I always try to use E85 fuel in boats and weed eaters, I find that works best, you should try it.
Nope. Not a good idea. Mine is a two stroke and the standard recommended fuel is pure gas. Mercury makes three additives that you put in too. I had two of them in, just not the third one which is the stabilizer. I now run a mix of all three additives. Plus mine is tuned for 91 octane minimum. $3.66 a gallon a Bucee’s 😳

The best stuff I've found is Red Line SI-1 Complete Fuel System Cleaner. It's expensive, but it works. I started out on a trip, and my Toyota truck almost quit running. I nursed it along for about ten miles and stopped at an auto parts store. I'd replaced the clutch in my SHO earlier and the kit included Red Line transmission fluid, so I thought what the heck and picked up the Red Line fuel system cleaner. The miss was almost gone by the time I got out of the parking lot, and completely gone within a few miles. I was honestly expecting to have to turn around - that I had a much bigger problem, but I'm a believer in trying the reasonable simplest solutions first.
Mercury has a series of three additives that the red neck nation has formulated a mix which Mercury actually bought off on. I keep it premixed in a aquirt bottle in the boat.

Nope. Not a good idea. Mine is a two stroke and the standard recommended fuel is pure gas. Mercury makes three additives that you put in too. I had two of them in, just not the third one which is the stabilizer. I now run a mix of all three additives. Plus mine is tuned for 91 octane minimum. $3.66 a gallon a Bucee’s 😳
My "I'm joking" meter must be off today. I wouldn't run anything with alcohol in it on anything I own, especially a boat unless I wanted to make it not run anymore.

Oh... whoops my bad. I iz slo

I was scratching my head a bit, too. I found some premium gas without ethanol the other day and tried it out. My mileage went from just over 26 to 30 on a 90 mile trip. Coming back I got stuck in some kind of traffic jam - well over a mile mostly in 1st. The mileage really dropped of course, and the overall mileage didn't go back over 29 on the return trip. The engine seemed a bit smoother, but that could just be expectations. I guess I'd have to do the analysis to decide whether the increased mileage pays for itself. BTW the premium w/o ethanol was $3.29 where I bought it in TN - don't remember what the watered down premium was.

I was scratching my head a bit, too. I found some premium gas without ethanol the other day and tried it out. My mileage went from just over 26 to 30 on a 90 mile trip. Coming back I got stuck in some kind of traffic jam - well over a mile mostly in 1st. The mileage really dropped of course, and the overall mileage didn't go back over 29 on the return trip. The engine seemed a bit smoother, but that could just be expectations. I guess I'd have to do the analysis to decide whether the increased mileage pays for itself. BTW the premium w/o ethanol was $3.29 where I bought it in TN - don't remember what the watered down premium was.
We’ve gotten a bit off topic. The real tragedy here is I couldn’t break 68 mph and 5700 rpm. With the 25 pitch prop I should be all over the rev limiter and running mid to upper 70’s. Really REALLY hope it’s just old gas. These hi-po 2 strokes are sensitive to that. It ran great just couldn’t be all it should be.

Brings up the question....using farmland and food resource acrage to grow corn whilst using carbon fuel for planting, harvesting and transportation, which results in less mpg? My personal opion was ethonal as a hedge against diminishing national oil production and now the farmers are reliant.

Brings up the question....using farmland and food resource acrage to grow corn whilst using carbon fuel for planting, harvesting and transportation, which results in less mpg? My personal opion was ethonal as a hedge against diminishing national oil production and now the farmers are reliant.

I don't think there's any way in hell that ethanol can be proven to be beneficial - except to the people producing it.

Reactions: Orangeburst
I don't think there's any way in hell that ethanol can be proven to be beneficial - except to the people producing it.
The only thing it has going for it is it’s renewable. There are better sources of fuel for internal combustion engines tho. Propane or natural gas for two.

The only thing it has going for it is it’s renewable. There are better sources of fuel for internal combustion engines tho. Propane or natural gas for two.

If ethanol were a byproduct and it was a matter of getting rid of waste then it would be fine - especially if you had a choice to be "environmentally conscious" and choose to use it.

Reactions: NorthDallas40
If you want to really jazz up the quality of your gasoline for a high performance engine, the best additive is MMT which may not be listed on the label but one product I'm pretty sure has it is 104+ Octane Boost. Not cheap but it really works.

MMT is a manganese-containing compound - methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl - which works as a lube for the valves and piston rings as well as boosting the octane.

Used to be - when leaded gas was the norm - the tetraethyl lead was dosed in together with MMT, which gave it a synergistic effect. But even without lead, MMT is still great for the gas engine... the best additive there is.

Around 1980 when I was working for a small custom/tolling chemical company, there was a fuel additive outfit in Fort Worth called Octane Boost Corporation who were looking for a domestic producer of MMT for their business, because with lead having been phased out, the only remaining MMT producer was in the UK.

I had wanted to produce it myself, and started a company called Volunteer Chemical, but didn't have the time or money to build my own plant, so I brokered it to a plant where I had worked at before. They screwed me out of most of my commissions and then blew up their plant with a hydrogen explosion (H2 is a byproduct in the MMT process).

If you want to really jazz up the quality of your gasoline for a high performance engine, the best additive is MMT which may not be listed on the label but one product I'm pretty sure has it is 104+ Octane Boost. Not cheap but it really works.

MMT is a manganese-containing compound - methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl - which works as a lube for the valves and piston rings as well as boosting the octane.

Used to be - when leaded gas was the norm - the tetraethyl lead was dosed in together with MMT, which gave it a synergistic effect. But even without lead, MMT is still great for the gas engine... the best additive there is.

Around 1980 when I was working for a small custom/tolling chemical company, there was a fuel additive outfit in Fort Worth called Octane Boost Corporation who were looking for a domestic producer of MMT for their business, because with lead having been phased out, the only remaining MMT producer was in the UK.

I had wanted to produce it myself, and started a company called Volunteer Chemical, but didn't have the time or money to build my own plant, so I brokered it to a plant where I had worked at before. They screwed me out of most of my commissions and then blew up their plant with a hydrogen explosion (H2 is a byproduct in the MMT process).
would you recommend mmt every fill up?

VN Store

Back