Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

We watched Oklahoma...Bye Bye Birdie...The Quiet Man....Romeo and Juliet...we had to get a waiver because side boob shot..and for some reason Flashdance and Rock and Roll High in home ec

I can vaguely remember watching the cartoon version of the Hobbit, the Never-Ending Story, Old Yeller, Around the World in 80 Days, and some of the old Fess Parker Davy Crockett movies.

...The A/V carts on the Hill had better TVs than the ones in Humanities and Glocker.

Anyone remember classic movies you watched in grade school growing up?

I turned on the television this morning and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was on.

What other movies do you remember watching in grade school?

Gone With the Wind
Shenandoah
The Cross and the Switchblade
The few I remember them showing us at school were always Disney movies. Aladdin, the Lion King, Mary Poppins, Ducktales movie, stuff like that.

Some of my favorite movies to watch at home when I was little were Flight of the Navigator, Space Camp, Short Circuit, Adventures in Babysitting, TMNT, and Brave Little Toaster. My older sisters still hate FOTN because I basically watched it on repeat.

Last edited:
The few I remember them showing us at school were always Disney movies. Aladdin, the Lion King, Mary Poppins, Ducktales movie, stuff like that.

Some of my favorite movies to watch at home when I was little were Flight of the Navigator, Space Camp, Short Circuit, Adventures in Babysitting, TMNT, and Brave Little Toaster. My older sisters still hate FOTN because I basically watched it on repeat.
I own all of these on DVD. It was my duty as a parent to share these treasures with my own children. Although we couldn’t watch TMNT with my husband around because his little sister tortured him with it.

Reactions: zeppelin128
I remember watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail in school. Classic movie. Still love to quote it.
One of my faves ever...my son's high school band won several competitions doing Spamalot....another one I left off my list was Bridge Over The River Kwai...the whole auditorium was doing the whistling to the movie

Last edited:
Reactions: SumSoonerChick
One of my faves ever...my son's high school band won several competitions doing Spamalot....another one I left off my list was Bridge Over The River Kwai...the who auditorium was doing the whistling to the movie
Mentioning a musical reminded me that we watched A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum every year in Latin class.

Reactions: VolnJC

Haha...the funny thing is some of us are giving up the era we grew up. Many of us have discussed our age range in the past. I think by the time you came through school they had stopping showing movies from the 50's and 60's but even in the early 80's those classic movies were still popular.

Where the Red Fern Grows was a real tear jerker. I wonder how some of these movies would translate today with film becoming more realistic vs what was still the early days of film. I know when we turn on the Frosty the Snowman movies at Christmas it is even hard for me to enjoy them now because they just seem so low budget.

Wasn't there like an old road safety movie they'd show in school? Something like Red Asphalt or Blood on the Highway? I also remember the nuclear holocaust movie from the '80's. Was it The Day After? Seems like it was something like that. Then there were the horrible VD/STD films. McDad probably remembers all those title names.

Also, there was Charlotte's Web. And seems like we also watched Animal Farm, but at much different grade levels. Wilbur had nothing on Snowball and Napoleon.

Wasn't there like an old road safety movie they'd show in school? Something like Red Asphalt or Blood on the Highway? I also remember the nuclear holocaust movie from the '80's. Was it The Day After? Seems like it was something like that. Then there were the horrible VD/STD films. McDad probably remembers all those title names.

Also, there was Charlotte's Web. And seems like we also watched Animal Farm, but at much different grade levels. Wilbur had nothing on Snowball and Napoleon.

Charlotte's Web was a school favorite.

I'm pretty The Day After was not in the cards and I think it was released somewhere around 1984 just off memory.

My fav was, Chlamydia 2 Electric Boogaloo.

Technically, it was a perfect example for my statement... however, because I like you I’ll throw you a bone... here... she’s hot... and doesn’t look like a pre-pubescent boy... View attachment 363199

See? That wasn't hard.

Not everyone looks like that Meghan Rapachinoly or whatever.

See? That wasn't hard.

Not everyone looks like that Meghan Rapachinoly or whatever.
Obviously, but stereotypes exist for a reason... and soccer is not where I would go looking for hotties... gymnastics, volleyball, & swimming, etc... that’s where the hotties are at. 😉

VN Store

Back