Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

With my post to Weezer earlier in the thread, I'm starting to think about our upcoming season.

CJH is the best coach (coming in) UT has hired since Johnny Majors. Fulmer and Kiffin are the best going out.
He's an offensive innovator. Has history and experience.

But let's also consider the other side of the coin. We are thin on the roster. We are learning a new system. We have UGA, UF, and Bama on the schedule. Is 6-6 unreasonable?
We should hit 7 wins.

With my post to Weezer earlier in the thread, I'm starting to think about our upcoming season.

CJH is the best coach (coming in) UT has hired since Johnny Majors. Fulmer and Kiffin are the best going out.

But let's also consider the other side of the coin. We are thin on the roster. We are learning a new system. We have UGA, UF, and Bama on the schedule. Is 6-6 unreasonable?

It's baaack! Offseason win projection escalation. Wouldn't be UT football without it.

Reactions: McDad
Struggle to get 6 IMO.
Maybe, but when I look at the schedule, barring any major injury (which of course changes things), 7 wins should be achievable and what is expected from this staff. The only surefire losses are Florida, Georgia, and Bama. Ole Miss will probably be a shoot out, so easily a toss up. I'm not familiar with Pitt or their style of play so I have no idea what to expect there. Unless we're banged up, we should be able to beat everyone else. So 7 wins should be expected.

We'll be lucky to win 4 games. CJH sucks, can't recruit at the SEC level and will be gone in 4 years.

Had lunch with UCF grad and he was happy to see him go, thinks we got suckered.

It will be interesting to say the least, and not something I'd bet on. Could be enough excitement that a bunch of kids overachieve. Could be a "proven" coach finding out the big leagues are different. One thing for sure - somebody better find some linebackers before September.

Maybe, but when I look at the schedule, barring any major injury (which of course changes things), 7 wins should be achievable and what is expected from this staff. The only surefire losses are Florida, Georgia, and Bama. Ole Miss will probably be a shoot out, so easily a toss up. I'm not familiar with Pitt or their style of play so I have no idea what to expect there. Unless we're banged up, we should be able to beat everyone else. So 7 wins should be expected.

I expect 10 wins from our program every year, but you know where that has gotten us.

Reactions: AM64
We'll be lucky to win 4 games. CJH sucks, can't recruit at the SEC level and will be gone in 4 years.

Had lunch with UCF grad and he was happy to see him go, thinks we got suckered.
He may suck and we may got took. But he's the best coming in we've hired in 4 decades. Sad.

I don't fault your pessimism. Proven more right than wrong.

We're not as bad off or as devoid of talent as some people want to believe. That's just a set up for low expectations and I call BS. We're still UT, and my expectation is we'll at least be a middle of the pack SEC team with decent coaching. Our goal should be getting back to competing for winning the SEC East, and eventually the SEC, but we should be no worse than middle of the pack. Expecting less is accepting failure.

Struggle to get 6 IMO.

I agree. There are some nice pieces on the OL and at the skill positions, but still a big question mark at QB based on the reports coming out of spring practice. Front 7 on defense is average at best with very little depth at linebacker. DBs are probably the strength of the defense and they couldn't cover a slant last season. 6-6 imo unless we get surprisingly good QB play.

Reactions: AM64 and Y9 Vol

The defense may be on the field a long long time, and that's a losing prospect. I think that had a lot to do with BJ teams that pulled ahead and then still lost. Putting points on the board is important - keeping the other guys from doing so is more important.

Reactions: Y9 Vol
I don’t expect crap. I am just telling you what I believe to be the state of our program at the current time. I do not think we begin SEC play with a three and 0 record. Not with a new coach a new system and too many unknowns.

Reactions: AM64
ole miss gonna whip our butts.

I'm at 5-7. Three cupcakes plus Vandy and Chickens should be attainable, even with our roster issues. Maybe 6-6 if we get lucky, but I mean this is Tennessee we are talking about, we don't do lucky.

I don’t expect crap. I am just telling you what I believe to be the state of our program at the current time. I do not think we begin SEC play with a three and 0 record. Not with a new coach a new system and too many unknowns.
I've listed who I think we beat, who I think we lose to, and the games I think are toss ups.

As far as an inability to recruit on Heupel's part, that's why you hire assistants who can. As a HC, all you really need to be able to do is close. And UT still has a lot to sell kids. I don't expect it to happen fast, but if he takes what he has and doesn't underachieve on the field, talents will notice and give UT a look. Getting that talent is what it'll take to get us from middle of the pack back to the top.

We need to forget the last 15 years and move forward, remembering who the hell we are.

VN Store

Back