Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

You play the bagpipes?

More like I try. I was doing OK learning and was sidetracked first by open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve and then later by rotator cuff surgeries. At 75 blowing a set of pipes is pretty difficult to remaster - a set of great highland bagpipes has four sets of reeds, so I suppose it's a bit like blowing four woodwind instruments at the same time but only having to play a tune on one of them. I just bought this last month - without the bag. It seems like most of the bagpipe performers (except pipe bands) are going to electronic pipes, and it is somewhat hard to tell by looks.

BDC-P-1-600x600.jpg

BlairDigitalChanterProBag.jpg

More like I try. I was doing OK learning and was sidetracked first by open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve and then later by rotator cuff surgeries. At 75 blowing a set of pipes is pretty difficult to remaster - a set of great highland bagpipes has four sets of reeds, so I suppose it's a bit like blowing four woodwind instruments at the same time but only having to play a tune on one of them. I just bought this last month - without the bag. It seems like most of the bagpipe performers (except pipe bands) are going to electronic pipes, and it is somewhat hard to tell by looks.

View attachment 364117

View attachment 364118
Cool. I've always loved the sound of bagpipes.
My favorite UT halftime shows have always been when the bagpipe and UT bands play Amazing Grace.

Reactions: AM64
Cool. I've always loved the sound of bagpipes.
My favorite UT halftime shows have always been when the bagpipe and UT bands play Amazing Grace.

People seem to either love or hate bagpipes. I was fascinated the first time I heard bagpipes, but I was at least in my late 40s when I started learning. That's probably too old to learn a musical instrument, but why not try if you get to the point you finally have the time, so my youngest son (in his teens at the time) and I started lessons. He quit, but I struggle on intermittently. At this point, reading music and trying to get fingers in the right place is probably good brain exercise. I haven't even tried my real pipes in years - getting four sets of temperamental reeds to work at the same time is difficult particularly for a novice and painful for anyone within hearing distance.

Every time I hear bagpipes I am taken back to Payne Stewarts funeral. I had the pleasure of being around him many times and there was not a finer man on this earth.

I remember that piper as he disappeared into the mist; that was absolutely fascinating. You couldn't possibly have scripted it better than that.

Every time I hear bagpipes I am taken back to Payne Stewarts funeral. I had the pleasure of being around him many times and there was not a finer man on this earth.
Seems like everyone who knew Payne felt the same way.
There is an emotion to bagpipes that other instruments just can't match.

People seem to either love or hate bagpipes. I was fascinated the first time I heard bagpipes, but I was at least in my late 40s when I started learning. That's probably too old to learn a musical instrument, but why not try if you get to the point you finally have the time, so my youngest son (in his teens at the time) and I started lessons. He quit, but I struggle on intermittently. At this point, reading music and trying to get fingers in the right place is probably good brain exercise. I haven't even tried my real pipes in years - getting four sets of temperamental reeds to work at the same time is difficult particularly for a novice and painful for anyone within hearing distance.
40s is NOT too late to learn new things... I think it’s quite impressive really.... although I may be a bit biased... 😜

40s is NOT too late to learn new things... I think it’s quite impressive really.... although I may be a bit biased... 😜

I agree it's never too old to learn or try new things; you just have to temper expectations. And every now experience and maturity does work for you. And every now and then some of those old things stored in the brain say "hello, now you know why you kept me around."

Reactions: SumSoonerChick
Where do these girls get the courage to do the things they do on the balance beam?
Don't they know they can break their neck by accident & become an invalid for life?

View attachment 364201

It takes a high level of skill, athleticism and courage. They work up to this over many years of basic gymnastics and thick padding.

It takes a high level of skill, athleticism and courage. They work up to this over many years of basic gymnastics and thick padding.

Gymnasts are some of the best athletes in the world.

Way back in the day when I was at college, I was very good friends with the gymnast coach having gone to HS with. I visited her down stairs one day & I tried walking on the balance beam that was there in the room. Lol ... I made it only a couple of steps before I fell off. I never realized how "narrow" to walk on the balance beam was. Also, I got up on the rings to try a cross (you jump up & grab hold of the rings) where you spread your arms straight out while holding your body weight up. That almost ripped my chest & ribs completely out of my body. Ever since that time .... I have great respect for those that can do these types of events.

@Weezer I do have to say our offense looked better than I thought they would yesterday in the replay I saw. May mean our defense is that much garbage, but who knows.

Wait...just about every post I see regarding our D says that we suck. So I would hope our O could look reasonably good against our D.

VN Store

Back