Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

Your flaw would be in assuming anything about me in the first place.

It's a very close minded way of living.
I got something for you... I made an old fashioned last night using a petey scotch instead of bourbon. It was delicious. I am sure it exists and that I didn't invent anything, but I am gonna call it an "Old Smoky"

Reactions: AM64
I was pulling McDad's chain. Tahoe really is a nice place to go. We were in the area for a look at some equipment and the company showed us around a bit. Dinner outdoors high over the lake is a really nice experience ... especially when you aren't paying.
I figured you might be, I wasn't being serious either. Everyone I know that has been winter or summer has had great things to say.

I got something for you... I made an old fashioned last night using a petey scotch instead of bourbon. It was delicious. I am sure it exists and that I didn't invent anything, but I am gonna call it an "Old Smoky"

What was your build?

You know, there's not really a formal riff on an OF using scotch, which I find odd because A) it can easily be made tasty and B) the OF's boozy counterpart, the Manhattan, has a scotch riff (the Rob Roy).

I've seen some places incorporate liquid smoke in the syrup or simply atomize/spritz some scotch on top of the drink, but that's about it.

What was your build?
I made a simple syrup with brown sugar... I think it would be better with something with a little more molasses flavor, but this worked. I did a shot glass of that, and 2 shots of Ardbeg Uigeadail Whisky. (I honestly don't remember where I got that) 3 dashes of orange bitters and a topped it with a couple of cherries. I think Laphroag would be fine in this. Try this sometime and tell me how you would improve it.

What generated this was that I wanted a smokey old fashioned and I don't have a smoker. So I wondered about using petey whisky. Like I said I know I am not inventing anything, but....

Edit: I did a little digging and I brought this back with me from Edinburgh a few years ago.

Last edited:
I made a simple syrup with brown sugar... I think it would be better with something with a little more molasses flavor, but this worked. I did a shot glass of that, and 2 shots of Ardbeg Uigeadail Whisky. (I honestly don't remember where I got that) 3 dashes of orange bitters and a topped it with a couple of cherries. I think Laphroag would be fine in this. Try this sometime and tell me how you would improve it.

What generated this was that I wanted a smokey old fashioned and I don't have a smoker. So I wondered about using petey whisky. Like I said I know I am not inventing anything, but....

I might just do that when I get home later. I've got some Lagavulin and some hickory bitters that would work well with it.

Off the top though I'd just use turnonado sugar syrup. It's rich and needs less quantity than brown sugar. It can also be tough getting a good consistency with brown sugar, as you probably found out.

I might just do that when I get home later. I've got some Lagavulin and some hickory bitters that would work well with it.

Off the top though I'd just use turnonado sugar syrup. It's rich and needs less quantity than brown sugar. It can also be tough getting a good consistency with brown sugar, as you probably found out.
Yep. I had to shake the hell out of it to get it to dissolve. I read something about Demerrara sugar, but it didn't sound like it had the molasses flavor I liked. Where can I get the turnonado sugar?

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Yep. I had to shake the hell out of it to get it to dissolve. I read something about Demerrara sugar, but it didn't sound like it had the molasses flavor I liked. Where can I get the turnonado sugar?
You can find it at some grocery stores. I think I've seen it at Publix previously, but not certain. Might have been Whole Foods. Amazon is likely the easiest option.

Dem and turbo are the same!

You should see the box at most grocery stores. "Sugar in the raw."

What generated this was that I wanted a smokey old fashioned and I don't have a smoker. So I wondered about using petey whisky. Like I said I know I am not inventinga anything, but....

Edit: I did a little digging and I brought this back with me from Edinburgh a few years ago.
One of the better OF I've had was in Edinburgh! They used a lightly peated whisky and it was phenomenal. Came across smoky, but not overpowering. I have to be in the mood for a heavy peated whisky like Ardbeg. Uigeadail is great stuff, though.

One of the better OF I've had was in Edinburgh! They used a lightly peated whisky and it was phenomenal. Came across smoky, but not overpowering. I have to be in the mood for a heavy peated whisky like Ardbeg. Uigeadail is great stuff, though.
I'm not gonna make any more of these with that Ardbeg though. I don't know if I can get any more. I'll get some Laphroag and try that. I am very very novice when it comes to Scotch. I like it, but I don't know a ton about it. I do know Laphroag is very petey but it is easier to find locally.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I'm not gonna make any more of these with that Ardbeg though. I don't know if I can get any more. I'll get some Laphroag and try that. I am very very novice when it comes to Scotch. I like it, but I don't know a ton about it. I do know Laphroag is very petey but it is easier to find locally.

You might want to try it with a Campbelltown scotch. Springbank is EXCELLENT and would compliment the right balance of sweet/bitter.

Latest update on Soda:

Update on @SweetasSoda, her labs looked much better today and no seizures this far. Other good news is they’ve cut her sedation way back, she’s still on the ventilator because of the sedation but she’s breathing on her own so she’s making progress. Continue praying for Soda. Prayer definitely changes things

@VOLSONLY , I hope you don't mind that I've been cross-posting your updates on SweetasSoda over here on the politics forum. I figured the more prayers the better. I knew there were posters here that know Soda but don't regularly visit the Recruiting forum.
No Sir. Thank you, the more the merrier 👊

VN Store

Back