Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

I read last night predictions of 15 in of rain in western NC and potential for record flooding in the region. Saw today that the death toll is over 40, but no mention of where - no geographical distribution. I also saw something before the storm that TVA was adjusting water levels to compensate and minimize flood risk. Also read that TDOT was closing a number of roads ahead of the storm - most seemed to be in E TN - particularly in the mountains.

Just got this off FB. A community called Swanannoa? In N.C. People stranded on the roofs

View attachment 681340
Just east of Asheville, near Black Mountain.

Boone is a wreck. Chimney Rock is obliterated.

I-40 East washed into the river just inside the NC state line. (Good luck with that travel for the next 2 years.)

All those Carolina mountain town historical societies have a wall dedicated to the Great Flood of 19xx”. Some will have markers on Main Street showing the high water mark of those floods.

This one is gonna be the one they talk about in 100 years. It is catastrophic in those cereal bowl depressions in the mountains. The water egress choke points just weren’t nearly large enough.

I read last night predictions of 15 in of rain in western NC and potential for record flooding in the region. Saw today that the death toll is over 40, but no mention of where - no geographical distribution. I also saw something before the storm that TVA was adjusting water levels to compensate and minimize flood risk. Also read that TDOT was closing a number of roads ahead of the storm - most seemed to be in E TN - particularly in the mountains.

Reactions: AM64
Looking for wisdom.

Where do yall keep your firearms in your vehicle when you just CANT keep them on your person?

I understand the risk of leaving a firearm in a vehicle. I know it’s not the best idea. But inevitably there are situations when you just have to leave it in your vehicle.

I’ve seen Safes. Magnets. Etc. But wanted to know what others are doing. I’ve typically just “hid it” somewhere. But I need a better solution.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Looking for wisdom.

Where do yall keep your firearms in your vehicle when you just CANT keep them on your person?

I understand the risk of leaving a firearm in a vehicle. I know it’s not the best idea. But inevitably there are situations when you just have to leave it in your vehicle.

I’ve seen Safes. Magnets. Etc. But wanted to know what others are doing. I’ve typically just “hid it” somewhere. But I need a better solution.

If I owned a firearm, something like a Ruger LC9 I would put it in the center console.

Good grief man. Asheville, Hendersonville etc and most of western NC is a disaster. They are calling it a 1000 year flood because the water in the rivers is the most in their 230 years of records. I hope the elderly, handicapped etc are OK. Imagine living thru Covid as an elderly or sick person only to get killed by the storm a couple years later...or lose your home on fixed income from SS. God help these people.

Glad you the Mrs. Are OK bud. Seems like the PF folks are all OK thankfully.

Reactions: AM64 and McDad
Looking for wisdom.

do you work for the gub'ment?

Reactions: AM64
Looking for wisdom.

One of my wife's therapists went to Nashville for continuing education. Went with her hubby to kinda make a work and relax weekend. Arrived late Friday. Sat am her husband was going to go get them some breakfast and every single truck was broken into. Smashed the door window. Thieves looking for guns. I guess more likely to be found in trucks than cars
Anyway, I share this as a caution. Please do more than just hide it. And if you hide it, don't hide it in the cab.

VN Store

Back