Olympic Athlete Turns Her Back on the US Flag as Star Spangled Banner Played

She won’t be remembered past not placing in the Olympics. I think it’s in bad taste, but she doesn’t move any needle on any scale. Maybe she will look back on this when she’s more mature and realize how foolish it looked.

Reactions: AshG
She won’t be remembered past not placing in the Olympics. I think it’s in bad taste, but she doesn’t move any needle on any scale. Maybe she will look back on this when she’s more mature and realize how foolish it looked.
Exactly... she's a nobody. So why give he 15 minutes of fame and attention? Just ignore her.

Reactions: LouderVol
She didn't do anything she doesn't have the right to do, so personally I do not care. Just like I don't care about kneeling. The fact that people get so riled up over this crap is ridiculous. Jmo.
And the USOC could ban her if they so chose for her actions. Don't let the name fool you, the United States Olympic Committee is independent of the government and does not receive government funds. In other words, it's a private non-profit corporation so freedom of speech does not really factor in should they decide to punish her or any other athlete expressing a desire to protest. Competing at the Olympics, representing your country, is a privilege, not a right.

Seems simple to me. If you despise the country so much then you don’t need to represent it at an international competition.

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
245 years.... it was a good run.

All this has done is basically guarantee that I won't watch one single minute of the Olympics, because this person does not represent the greatness that America is. I know... no one cares. But I do.
Person expressing her own freedom is not representative of this nation.....

You are actually right. Too many snow flakes getting upset about this stuff. Before it was people only cared about the flag burning because its violent, and people should stick to peaceful protests. This person does, and yet all the same snowflakes are butthurt.

This nation specifically allows for everyone not to agree on everything another person does. Sure you have the right to not like it and express your butthurtedness to the rest of the snow flakes, just dont expect to change anything while sitting in a tub of Preperation H.

Are you a dumbass? The IOC has basic rules. Imagine if you had athletes from 100 countries with different agendas and belief systems bringing their grievances to the games. It could be a mess.
Then the IOC can handle this. The US olympic Committee or whoever it is can also handle it. The rest of us should just meh our way on.

These people are essentially defending the child at the cash register that didnt get the candy bar and threw a fit.
And now we are watching all the other red hat wearing kids throw a fit because they too did not get a candy bar.

Ignore it and the problem goes away.

And now we are watching all the other red hat wearing kids throw a fit because they too did not get a candy bar.

Ignore it and the problem goes away.

It is a discussion forum. You are watching some people behind them in line say "look at that kid, and the terrible parenting".

Reactions: Wireless1
The 1st amendment says hello. A great thing about America is citizens have the right to speak freely without fear of persecution. You need some thicker skin.
The 1st amendment says hello. A great thing about America is citizens have the right to speak freely without fear of persecution. You need some thicker skin.
It's prosecution

Person expressing her own freedom is not representative of this nation.....

You are actually right. Too many snow flakes getting upset about this stuff. Before it was people only cared about the flag burning because its violent, and people should stick to peaceful protests. This person does, and yet all the same snowflakes are butthurt.

This nation specifically allows for everyone not to agree on everything another person does. Sure you have the right to not like it and express your butthurtedness to the rest of the snow flakes, just dont expect to change anything while sitting in a tub of Preperation H.
"insert eye roll here"

Whether the athlete or anyone else has enough self awareness to recognize it - I think it's kind of cool that this kind of 'speech' is allowed to occur in this country. The beauty is that we don't have to agree if her protest should be allowed or punished.

Reactions: LouderVol

VN Store

Back