Our chances at Oregon.....

Since Stanford has laid out a blueprint of how to beat Oregon it seems to me its simply a matter of being patient/executing on offense and disciplined/fundamental tackling on defense. Oregon has a lotta speed and an expolsive offense, or used to before the coach left and Barner was drafted.

Barner was certainly talented, and he's getting a shot in the NFL now, but I think Byron Marshall (4*) plugs into this O with just a little drop-off. With DAT getting carries, and Tyner behind Marshall as work horse, and the genetic freak Colt Lyerla sometimes coming out of the back field -- it's a potent running game.

I know UT looks to have a very good O-Line this year, but some credit to Oregon's O-Line, eh? I mean, look at the running stats.

And I don't think Stanford established a blueprint, really. They just got the job done in a strange game with very fine defensive performances.

I think the best you can reasonably hope for is to do as well as Kansas State.

Last edited:
Preseason rankings mean nothing. For example, in 05 we were ranked 3rd in the country going into the season. Ultimately, that was one of the worst years in Tennessee football history as we finished 5-6. Lets see how well Oregon plays when a hungry Tennessee team comes knocking on their door.

Preseason rankings mean nothing. For example, in 05 we were ranked 3rd in the country going into the season. Ultimately, that was one of the worst years in Tennessee football history as we finished 5-6. Lets see how well Oregon plays when a hungry Tennessee team comes knocking on their door.

You don't think Oregon players will be hungry to smack an SEC (SEC! SEC! SEC!) team in their own house?

Every single kid playing for Oregon with an older uncle will be hearing: "That's Tennessee, man!" :)

Didn't UT have just as much time to make adjustments?

Well, I think the better argument is that Oregon eventually demolished our lack of depth so momentum was pretty important at the time. So, having that long pause took away what 'mo' we had. Having said that, I'm not totally sure that depth wouldn't have been eaten away eventually delay or not.

Well, I think the better argument is that Oregon eventually demolished our lack of depth so momentum was pretty important at the time. So, having that long pause took away what 'mo' we had. Having said that, I'm not totally sure that depth wouldn't have been eaten away eventually delay or not.

Oregon appears to have considerably more dept this time, also.

Barner was certainly talented, and he's getting a shot in the NFL now, but I think Byron Marshall (4*) plugs into this O with just a little drop-off. With DAT getting carries, and Tyner behind Marshall as work horse, and the genetic freak Colt Lyerla sometimes coming out of the back field -- it's a potent running game.

I know UT looks to have a very good O-Line this year, but some credit to Oregon's O-Line, eh? I mean, look at the running stats.

And I don't think Stanford established a blueprint, really. They just got the job done in a strange game with very fine defensive performances.

Well University of Tennessee Volunteers fans there you have it straight from the lips of an Oregon Duck fan we aint got a damn chance. Moreover we should show up in homage to all things green and ducklike. I recall a Miami team bout 1985 thought they were invincible, they thought the University of Tennessee insulted their robes of college football greatness......as well. This is why they play the games.

Reactions: 1 person
If you could either gameplan equally for both Oregon/Florida and lose both or gameplan for only Florida and have a much better chance to win..

What would you do? And drop the naive idealism. UT isn't in the position to realistically expect to compete and win every game. 10 years ago? Sure. Now? No.

Not to be throwing cliches, but you play one game at a time. First up is Austin Peed. Wimpy bunch, but you never overlook anybody. Then we worry about the next bunch.

The one and only way Tennessee will return to championship form is to focus on that. Since you call yourself DC Vol, I am assuming you are actually residing in DC. I advise you to get outta there. Only someone living in that moronic place would ask that question.

Weather KILLED all the momentum of that game. Oregon was shaken at the beginning of that game. I am still convinced Tennessee wins the first game, if not for the weather delay. :twocents:

Beginning? Maybe, but I'm still convinced the shellacking UT received was inevitable. A game is 4 quarters still right? The beginning doesn't define the WHOLE game. Oregon was/is a second half team. Both sides of the ball make good adjustments and BOOM, game over.

You remember those adjustments?

Both teams had to deal with a delay, Oregon just did what they typically do.....make good adjustments, and then the game was over.

Since Stanford has laid out a blueprint of how to beat Oregon it seems to me its simply a matter of being patient/executing on offense and disciplined/fundamental tackling on defense. Oregon has a lotta speed and an expolsive offense, or used to before the coach left and Barner was drafted.

So because Barner and Kelly is gone, the team is in shambles? Tennessee isn't Stanford.

So because Barner and Kelly is gone, the team is in shambles? Tennessee isn't Stanford.
This is little off subject but do they teach proper grammar in Oregon? Just hard to put much weight in what you are saying or take it that serious.

LOL, yea, one of the "best kept secrets" in Eugene is Colt. I expect Colt to have a big season for the Ducks. With rumors that the Ducks will throw more, I can see Colt getting free on a short pass and running over and threw and around a few LBs, safeties and corners for some BIG yards. Who ever tackles him is going to pay a price. Still think he goes in the top 10 of the NFL draft when he the time comes.

And yea love seeing him at RB on occasions.

I honestly think Oregon will win. If Tennessee pulled an upset...fantastic. Any realistic fan would say that our only logical shot to win is to dominate with the o-line and the running game and hit a few big plays that keeps the defense honest. Maybe jump out to an early lead and force them into some passing situations. Thing is when they score...they score in bunches. I could see us keeping it close for a half or 3 quarters and then losing by a couple of touchdowns. I could also see us losing by 30 if we get down quickly. It will be an interesting game to see where the rest of our season lines up.

I think our lack of depth in the secondary (esp. with the injury to Jones) really limits any chance we have vs. Oregon. Not having Chip Kelly gives us a shot, but I think we are a still a year away. I give us about a 15% chance.

Beginning? Maybe, but I'm still convinced the shellacking UT received was inevitable. A game is 4 quarters still right? The beginning doesn't define the WHOLE game. Oregon was/is a second half team. Both sides of the ball make good adjustments and BOOM, game over.

You remember those adjustments?

Both teams had to deal with a delay, Oregon just did what they typically do.....make good adjustments, and then the game was over.

I am convinced that an Oregon victory was inevitable, but not the "shellacking UT received." From watching that well-oiled Oregon machine operate on a regular basis, I am sure that you will agree that there are times when an offense is simply clicking on all cylinders from the outset. When your team is in that proverbial "zone," you do not want any stoppage of action.

The length of that rain delay unquestionably took the edge off of our momentum. If there had been no delay, I believe that Tennessee would have extended its lead but Oregon still would have come back to win in the second half. Although we are not privy to locker room adjustments, I am also convinced that Oregon was able to escalate the implementation of adjustments, which otherwise would have come at halftime.

I just don't think it is possible that this year's Oregon team is light years better than the team that played for the national championship. I do think that this years Vols team will be light years better than that 2010 team and it's not even close. I understand that this game is away rather than home, but I just don't see this game being a 40 point blowout. I'll eat crow if it is tho.

Also remember that Oregon goes cross country the week before they play us, so that kind of evens out any advantages of jet lag. If Mo Couch, McCullers, Hood, and O'Brien can consistently get a push up the middle then I feel that we will have a great shot to win. Don't know if it will happen, and I am not counting on it, but if that Auburn D in 2010 can hold them to 19 points, I think this D can hold them below 30.

I think our lack of depth in the secondary (esp. with the injury to Jones) really limits any chance we have vs. Oregon. Not having Chip Kelly gives us a shot, but I think we are a still a year away. I give us about a 15% chance.

Not sure why you think Chip Kelly coached every single position. Minus the D line coach and a new WR's coach everyone's there still. We are talking about some coaches that have been there for over 20 years. There's a lot of continuation that is going on and it's going to stay that way. Not much has changed for the players, and the transition has been very smooth.

VN Store

Back