Our chances at Oregon.....

Had this been any other year other than the third game as the Tennessee coach, I really would think this game will be close. But still this will be the first true test for Jones' system. I understand Oregon has a coaching change too, and I do factor that in a little, but for all intents and purposes the system is staying the exact same.

I'm fully expecting this to be a win by Oregon with a real chance of it being a blow out. The only outcome I'd be disappointed in is if it's close going late into the game, and it's obvious that Tennessee gives up (Dooley). If that happens, I know we have a really good chance of facing four (five?) more years of the same. Oregon can explode, that's what they have done for years to win, and I'm really interested to see how Tennessee reacts to that 3rd quarter blitz. Don't mistake me, I'm not looking for moral victories at all here. If we lose it will suck, but I'm understanding that right now the pieces are still coming together and I'm more watching how the team reacts than anything else.

Reactions: 1 person
Had this been any other year other than the third game as the Tennessee coach, I really would think this game will be close. But still this will be the first true test for Jones' system. I understand Oregon has a coaching change too, and I do factor that in a little, but for all intents and purposes the system is staying the exact same.

I'm fully expecting this to be a win by Oregon with a real chance of it being a blow out. The only outcome I'd be disappointed in is if it's close going late into the game, and it's obvious that Tennessee gives up (Dooley). If that happens, I know we have a really good chance of facing four (five?) more years of the same. Oregon can explode, that's what they have done for years to win, and I'm really interested to see how Tennessee reacts to that 3rd quarter blitz. Don't mistake me, I'm not looking for moral victories at all here. If we lose it will suck, but I'm understanding that right now the pieces are still coming together and I'm more watching how the team reacts than anything else.

Everybody's systems will just stay the same even with the previous HC gone, except for UT's right? Give me a d*** break. This UT team just needed a HC that could turn this thing around and get the team motivated instead of throwing the players under the bus. THIS TEAM HAS TALENT. We all may have bad feelings toward Kiffin, but tell me if you seen a 12-10 outcome against the eventual national champs IN THEIR STADIUM in Kiffin's first year. This team just needs a fire and leadership and i think we've finally got it. People completely ignore what Kiffin did, but he made his presence well known his first year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
That's five guys who I could confidently say will be drafted and four solid bubble guys. We could easily have 3 first rounder in Johnson or James, McCullers and Richardson if they play to their potential. So where is this huge lack of talent?
The other 30+ particularly at corners, RBs, QB, untested WRs, Brewer, some DT, O line depth (none), all kickers.

Originally Posted by VolBraniac
Outside of possibly Austin Peay and S. HickaBama, we won't put 41 or anything close to it on anyone.
This is so stupid,it's stupid
Really, JohnnyBalls, then exactly who are we going to score 41 or more against? :salute:

having fun mr bran? how is that diarrhea going? hope you feel better soon.

Oh, and our team will score more than 41 points against Western Kentucky.:salute:

Everybody's systems will just stay the same even with the previous HC gone, except for UT's right? Give me a d*** break. This UT team just needed a HC that could turn this thing around and get the team motivated instead of throwing the players under the bus. THIS TEAM HAS TALENT. We all may have bad feelings toward Kiffin, but tell me if you seen a 12-10 outcome against the eventual national champs IN THEIR STADIUM in Kiffin's first year. This team just needs a fire and leadership and i think we've finally got it. People completely ignore what Kiffin did, but he made his presence well known his first year.

And 9 out of 10 times, facing a top 5 team in your third game is going to equal a loss, with it being ugly being very likely. That one time is in situations like Oregon where they just promote from within (which is rare since staffs usually follow the head coach if he has been sniped). So, when you have a new coach come in, especially after a particularly bad coach, it's going to take a year or so to get your system fully in place and humming. So the first year is a pretty bad year to be facing top 5 caliber teams. But since this is the SEC, that will be a regular item on the menu anyway, so learning to swim fast is almost mandatory. I'm just not getting my hopes up in the first half of this first season of Butch Jones.

And you bring up Kiffin's first year. We still lost that game to the eventual national champions, and frankly that's exactly the same thing that will be going down in Eugene in my opinion (losing a heartbreaker). However, they were also blown out by Ole Miss which should have been a chip shot. Also remember he faced a PAC (Then 10) team of much lesser caliber, and we looked awful that game and lost. Also we didn't look too hot in the bowl game. Pretty much a solid year for a first year coach, and I do feel that is the same outcome we will get out of CBJ's first year as well. I completely agree we have the talent, and if Jones has them completely healed after the last three years of disaster, I will be jubilant. I'm just not so confident anyone in the world could pull that off.

Last edited:
Outside of possibly Austin Peay and S. HickaBama, we won't put 41 or anything close to it on anyone.

I'd say we have a shot at putting up those kinds of numbers against Kentucky and Vandy. Don't forget that Butch Jones has a pretty good track record on offense. My guess is that we'll struggle a bit offensively early season, but by late season, who knows.

41 points is a high bar, but Jones-coached teams have typically scored 40+ a few times each year.

I'm buying it guys. I think we can give them a he'll of a game and come out on top. But I don't think we can beat them at their own game. I think we need a really heavy dose of pounding the ball between the tackles, and we need all three of hill, Neal and lane to wear them down. You can't tell me that oregons front seven can handle our offensive line. Mix in some short passing game like dinking and dunking to Dallas, Howard, young amd Jenkins and I think we keep the chains moving all night. I don't think our young guys like Harris and north will be able to blow by them on the deep routes but I do think they as well as croom will be huge in the redzone. As soon as I got inside the 20 I would throw a double fade with croom and north attacking the back corners for a jump ball. They shouldn't be able to jump with our giants.

On defense you can't tell me that our secondary play ( my only real concern) won't be better this year. Coleman and jones are several steps faster than teague and waggner. With a healthy Randolph and a 2nd year McNeil I think the repeated wide open pass plays from last year will be all but gone. The x factor is obviously turnovers and the black mamba. It scares me to death what could happen if we throw a pick and they instantly get him in space. Play conservative, play smart and pound the rock and I think we can do it. Sorry for the rant lol go vols

Excellent points. I remember a few years ago, going down to play Miami....the quote was "Why not us, why not now?" We need to stop accepting defeat as a normal occurrence. I remember a time when 10 wins were expected, and a loss ticked me off for more than a few hours.

We will win at the line of scrimage on both sides of the ball consistantly through out this game.

Oregon will make some big plays though. They have some guys that will get the ball in open space and are a threat to score everytime they do.

If we come back after those big plays and play with great effort for 4 quarters we win this game.

Our offense at this point will be more settled in and will have found their rythm by this time. Our OL will be able to push the whole game. Our run game will be unstoppable come mid 3rd quarter.

Our passing game will consist of short post for 1st down conversions and hitches/screens to get the ball to our most effective play makers in open space. We will execute 90% of these plays flawlessly come Oregon.

The W/L will come down to how discipline the VOLS play football and the number of mental mistakes they make.

Anyway, this is my humble opinion.

I'm reading a lot of the same types of comments as I saw when we visited. Oregon wins at home and will win big.

Enjoy the atmosphere, and have fun though.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm reading a lot of the same types of comments as I saw when we visited. Oregon wins at home and will win big.

Weather KILLED all the momentum of that game. Oregon was shaken at the beginning of that game. I am still convinced Tennessee wins the first game, if not for the weather delay. :twocents:

Reactions: 3 people
Saw this posted in another thread, and thought it fit in well with my opening remarks. We are at -23 and -24 when compared with Florida and Alabama(recruiting), but against Oregon........-3. Read the comments about the Oregon game, expecting a close loss also. Here is the link Tennenessee Vols 2013 Football Preview

We also had "Defeatist Doofus", which was the worst coach in this programs history.

I don't doubt Dooley sucked (but an expert about proper hygiene, if memory serves).

But that you've got things pointed in the right direction doesn't mean you're there yet. I truly intend no condescension when I say that you shouldn't read too much into a lopsided Oregon victory: I really think this is the best team Oregon has ever put on the field.

Since Stanford has laid out a blueprint of how to beat Oregon it seems to me its simply a matter of being patient/executing on offense and disciplined/fundamental tackling on defense. Oregon has a lotta speed and an expolsive offense, or used to before the coach left and Barner was drafted.

Since Stanford has laid out a blueprint of how to beat Oregon it seems to me its simply a matter of being patient/executing on offense and disciplined/fundamental tackling on defense. Oregon has a lotta speed and an expolsive offense, or used to before the coach left and Barner was drafted.

If our defense is not just god awful again we obviously have a chance. I just don't know what that chance is. 1 out of 5? Way worse? I don't think I can just pencil this one in the W column and feel good about it.

VN Store

Back