Phil Just Got Served?

I'm a lawyer for the cup of coffee that will buy me. What surprises me is that 1. They are suing for libel. If the NCAA resonably believed the truth of what they said about Mr. Smith then that is a defense. If Fulmer gets on the stand and says "yeah I told them" what had been reported about Smith. Then that is a defense for the NCAA. Even if it is not true if they had a reasonable basis to believe it that is a defense. Why would Smith want to take his depo. to have Fulmer say even I lied to the NCAA it still hurts their case.
2 Sometimes you take an adverse witnesses depo to nail down their testimony before trial, but in this case they have already tried this case. The case was remanded by the court of appeals. The NCAA did not call Fulmer as a witness.
3. For this to make sense they would have to prove that the NCAA knew Fulmer was lying or they had reason to know he was lying.
I'm a horrible typist so I'm sure there are errors.

Last edited:
I thought the same thing last year at their place.

One thing I've learned about Phil Fulmer is when he is pissed off, or his back is against the wall he can coach extremely well. I'd say these Bammers just succeeded in the former.

Alabama fans are ridiculous. If they were breaking the rules then they can't complain about getting caught. Fulmer is as honest as they come and a true class act. If we were cheating It would not bother me one bit if we got "ratted out." They make rules for a reason. As a college football coach it was Fulmer's responsibility to reveal what he knew, just as any other coach should. They are just mad because we are a big rival of theres. As much as they like to think Fulmer is a rat they know he is 10 times the class act of any coach they've had. With all of the recruits UT and Bama battle for year to year it was a lot more likely to be Fulmer than another coach. Its not like he was out to get them. But at the same time you can't just sit there and let your biggest rival break the rules while you play fair. Get a clue. God I can't wait to drill them in Neyland this year! We have it out for Bama this year, Fulmer will have our boys ready to rip someones head off.

...and agreed! 10/25/08 The Day of Redemption and Revenge. Just when you think you can't think worse of bama they give you something new to fire you up.

I am sure bama admin. and coaching staff will deny any involvement...but I am not sure this happens without at least their knowledge.

OK CPF, whip their asses on the field and in the courts!

:the_finger:bama

The damage this could cause PR-wise is pretty significant. Especially if the media is allowed into the deposition, which is a possibility. Even if they aren't, you can bet that ESPN and CNN/SI will stake this one out and be all over Fulmer and the lawyers about what goes on in it.

My thought on media presence is that the NCAA can, and probably should, argue for some level of confidentiality in order to protect their investigative processes.

My thought on media presence is that the NCAA can, and probably should, argue for some level of confidentiality in order to protect their investigative processes.

Isn't the investigation long since closed?

Guys, overall, what is going on here? Is this a serious lawsuit to which CPF is a witness or is this just some sort of shennanigans?

Guys, overall, what is going on here? Is this a serious lawsuit to which CPF is a witness or is this just some sort of shennanigans?
I am talking about a proprietary business interest in the way that they conduct internal investigations.

I don't know how serious the Plaintiff is about wanting to prove his innocence. With the case that Gallion was involved in it seemed more like a situation where the wounded animal was lashing out.

post #205 up above would make me tend toward shenanigans... but you guys are the counselors.

2 Sometimes you take an adverse witnesses depo to nail down their testimony before trial, but in this case they have already tried this case. The case was remanded by the court of appeals. The NCAA did not call Fulmer as a witness.
3. For this to make sense they would have to prove that the NCAA knew Fulmer was lying or they had reason to know he was lying.
thanks for the perspective vestvol./

Since I don't consider Miami part of the South, it looks something like this:
1. New Orleans.
2. Charleston, SC.
3. Louisville.
4. Savannah.
5. Charlotte.

I think 95% of us on the board would pick Nashville over Birmingham ANY DAY of the week.

Savannah is such a crazy city. There is a very very distinct division between the artsy hipster kid areas, the historic areas, and the "don't go that way" areas.

Since I don't consider Miami part of the South, it looks something like this:
1. New Orleans.
2. Charleston, SC.
3. Louisville.
4. Savannah.
5. Charlotte.

I can get down with that. Savannah is the only one that I would kind of question. I've never been to New Orleans, still trying to get there.

I'm glad things are picking up around here...I have spent way too much time in the arcade lately.

VN Store

Back