Pro-Russia Trump Led Republicans Vote Against NATO

Sweden and Russia fought one of the Great Struggles between Peter the Great and Charles XII of Sweden (the Great Northern war). Finland and Russia fought their short but bloody Winter War in the early days of WWII

Several questions:
1. Does Congress vote on who is let in NATO, or is that a NATO decision?
2. Congressional reps are there to represent the people of their district; how is NATO business germane to those Americans in their districts?
3. Why do some of you care if Swe and Fin are NATO members?
4. Why do some of you agree these idiot politicians made the right choice on the matter?

On #2, I can assure you that NATO affiliations are literally all the guys in Varnell Georgia talk about. When I'm over that way, that's all I hear around the barber shop and taxidermy.

Reactions: McDad
I expect all the "Jan 6 hearing is theater" people to condemn this symbolism.

I really despise politicians!

It’s all a dog and pony show for political purposes while they do as they please . Example .. Martha Stuart goes to prison for insider trading while groupies defend Pelosi because they decided congress can’t be held to those standards . It’s all smoke and mirrors .

Reactions: McDad
“Once a country is in NATO, all other members of the alliance are obliged to go to war if it is invaded.”

TDS is real. Trump was 100% for sure going to kill all of us by starting wars with Iran/NK/Chyna. Now Democrats want more reasons to go to war. I want off this ride.

Weak sisters like you who serve our worst enemies do NOT deserve American citizenship. You ought to get your dirty butt over to Russia.

Finland and Sweden combined have less than 50k active troops. This is not some giant hammer of doom waiting to drop on the Soviets.
But what soldiers they are, coming form the land of ice and snow. Give me 50k Scandinavian soldiers over 250k from Russia any day ending in the letter Y 😉

Might not be the „hammer of doom“ but they are „hammer of the gods“

Reactions: StarRaider
Weak sisters like you who serve our worst enemies do NOT deserve American citizenship. You ought to get your dirty butt over to Russia.
It's a weird world where liberals so badly want us to become uber world police. Member when Reagan was the devil and other countries should solve their own problems?

Finland used to be part of Russia under the Tsars. Sibelius wrote Finlandia as a thinly veiled call for Finnish independence. Sweden and Norway were combined for quite a while
I think Finland was part of Sweden then a part of Russia after that.

I despise what Russia has done. That said, I haven’t lost sight of who the real threat is. We need Russia back in the community of nations ASAP. We need them aligned with the west and not in the arms of the dragon. There is a power arising in the East against which few can stand. Every day, it extends its spidery tentacles of influence and control over more and more of the earth‘s surface.
Get Ukraine and Russia to the bargaining table and end this now.

But what soldiers they are, coming form the land of ice and snow. Give me 50k Scandinavian soldiers over 250k from Russia any day ending in the letter Y 😉

Might not be the „hammer of doom“ but they are „hammer of the gods“

• Понедельник
  • Вторник
  • Среда
  • Четверг
  • Пятница
  • Суббота
  • Воскресенье

Reactions: OrangeTsar
I think Finland was part of Sweden then a part of Russia after that.
The Swedish Empire was once extensive and powerful. History as taught here greatly neglects that. I will have to check on their holdings in the East; but based on what I know of the great Northern War, I believe you Are most likely correct. The war was largely started over control of the site of what would become St Petersburg/Lenigrad and that would be right on the Russo/Finnish border

I despise what Russia has done. That said, I haven’t lost sight of who the real threat is. We need Russia back in the community of nations ASAP. We need them aligned with the west and not in the arms of the dragon. There is a power arising in the East against which few can stand. Every day, it extends its spidery tentacles of influence and control over more and more of the earth‘s surface.
Get Ukraine and Russia to the bargaining table and end this now.

Everyone agrees that it would be nice to have Russia become, or depending on your point of reicew, return to being, a responsible partner with other nations. For many purposes, including offsetting China.

But that is not the current reality.

Irony may be that by this misadventure Russia hastens the demise of the outdated oligarch based economy and centralized authority, making way for a more cooperative diffuse economy.

Everyone agrees that it would be nice to have Russia become, or depending on your point of reicew, return to being, a responsible partner with other nations. For many purposes, including offsetting China.

But that is not the current reality.

Irony may be that by this misadventure Russia hastens the demise of the outdated oligarch based economy and centralized authority, making way for a more cooperative diffuse economy.
Both parties missed the boat on this one. We had the ability to really nurture a responsible and mature Russian Republic as the Yeltsin term wound down. Clinton and both Bushes thought they could just sit and twiddle their thumbs and hope for the best as the Russian state basically became an unannounced extension of the Russian mob and oligarchs with Putin as the number one crime boss.
what we needed was a modern equivalent of the Marshall plan that turned Germany from a defeated foe into a dependable ally and trading partner
We had a once in a lifetime opportunity and absolutely blew it

The House conducted a completely meaningless vote. They have no say in the matter, but it does give Trump flunkies, like Matt Gaetz and Lauren Boebert a chance to cozy up to Trump and pander to his supporters again. They never pass up a chance to do that.
Take off the blinders for one second guys.

Who currently controls the House? So who called this vote.

Re-focus your angst.

@BowlBrother85 @tvolsfan

Both sides do this with bills. They will put in a poison pill so the other party and sometimes their own party won't support it. Then they say we tried and use the blame game to campaign.

Both parties are repugnant.
Pretty much anyone who is overly motivated by money/power ends up being repugnant.

Reactions: rekinhavoc
It's a weird world where liberals so badly want us to become uber world police. Member when Reagan was the devil and other countries should solve their own problems?

Calling someone a liberal might explain everything in your mind, but in reality it is a declaration of your own pathetic inadequacy because it sure looks like that is all you got, and it doesn't mean diddly.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back