Recruiting Football Talk VIII

Here's my thinking. . .
Are the '24 Vols as good as the '22 Vols on offense?

Are the '24 Sooners a lot better than the '22 Bama defense?

If they can stop us, I still don't think they'll be able to keep pace with what we do score. I think our defense is much better than their offense. It could be a 27-17 type game, but I think we get to 40 and they can't crack 30.
I don't think Nico is in Hendons realm..YET..at dicing up defenses, and it doesn't appear..YET...that we have a Hyatt or a Tillman Go-To superfreak WR...but the OL and the running game seems to be more lethal or at least on par with 22.

Okies defense ain't stopping us by itself...it is nowhere near being in Bama 22s league, but it's not their defense that people are counting on stopping us by itself..what they are counting on is Okies crowd totally screwing up our OL like Georgias crowd did in 22, and thus helping their defense to bog us down.

If that doesn't happen we will destroy them..if it does happen it will be a close game...that is about the gist of it.

I do think they will bog us down for a while but we eventually wear them down and pull it off anyway.

Last edited:
That’s how you play on the outside. Be super physical and make the refs make calls. They’re likely to swallow their whistle more times than not
I think it depends on the teams because they had no problem calling it against their opponents (especially Bama's) lol, particularly in momentum shifting moments.

People could have at CLT. There are cheap seats for the cupcakes. In the end the better we get the more people want to go and the more it costs. I hope not to see them cheap again because that means we suck.
With each increase, they are pricing more and more people out of the opportunity to see the game in person.

Anybody ever done a Gatlinburg stay during a VOLS game weekend? Have tickets to Kentucky game and wondering how feasible it is to go up Friday and do both
I went immediately after the Mizzou game in 2015…better weekend after that disappointing loss.

Stayed at at a hotel in town game night and left first thing in the morning for the Smokies.

Main reason Kirby was able to contain it was because of the Joe's he had on the DLine. Penetrated/stymied the middle of our OLine (when we had Hooker). Wasn't anything schematically he necessarily did besides taking the deep threat away but Hooker had an off game and our OLine got beat a nice bit. I think this may be the year we have a real chance at beating them if Nico continues to improve and the OLine can hold up their end. Obviously, think our defense is good enough. Last year, Joe Milton wasn't beating them.
UGAs defense was helped immensely by our OL jumping and being slow off the ball due to the crowd noise...and Hooker getting a little jumpy himself...he missed a few big plays that were there despite everything...including UGAs DBs mauling our guys all over the field with ZERO calls...Smart bragged about getting away with it.

That's why I always thought we actually had a chance against them on a neutral field.

For all of UGAs defensive greatness that year..there were still big plays to be had..they were just at a premium, which they always will be against a great defense...they are great defenses for a reason.

UGAs defense was helped immensely by our OL jumping and being slow off the ball due to the crowd noise...and Hooker getting a little jumpy himself...he missed a few big plays that were there despite everything...including UGAs DBs mauling our guys all over the field with ZERO calls...Smart bragged about getting away with it.

That's why I always thought we actually had a chance against them on a neutral field.

For all of UGAs defensive greatness that year..there were still big plays to be had..they were just at a premium, which they always will be against a great defense...they are great defenses for a reason.
Completely agree with everything you said McGill. Ohio St. was eating them alive in that playoff game but blew it.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill

VN Store

Back