Recruiting Football Talk VIII

If you have a financial advisor and they haven't recommended you get life insurance, you should find a new financial advisor. If you don't have one, you should get one that operates as a fiduciary (looks out for your best interest over theirs). They can hook you up with either a good agent or good policy. Probably stick with a 30 year term policy. Don't let anyone sell you Whole Life, because you probably don't need it if you are asking this question. Not trying to be a jerk. I have a degree in Personal Financial Planning but don't work directly in the field.
I have a CPA that hasn’t mentioned anything other than my current ira’s. They are a local small town company. Honestly, when I first got going they were the only company in town. She sent me to a local lawyer, who in turn sent me to a local banker. After talking to more people there are a lot of questions.
With that knowledge and your degree, you recommend to look elsewhere?

Reactions: DD4ME and Glitch
The real Gold Medal winners

View attachment 665519
Until this sad moment interrupted:

47af9fdc-1e49-4e73-a189-fc93d7259355_text.gif

Everytime I hear that stupid song..which I hadn't heard it in years before our cruise last November when we got off the boat at Roatan Island...and I get a sudden overwhelming flood of deeply emotional memories from back in the day that leaves me crying like a baby.

My wife was like "are you ok?"...I felt like an idiot..

I have evidently buried a lot of memories that I didn't even realize I had forgotten..🤷‍♂️
Godspeed, amigo.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I have a CPA that hasn’t mentioned anything other than my current ira’s. They are a local small town company. Honestly, when I first got going they were the only company in town. She sent me to a local lawyer, who in turn sent me to a local banker. After talking to more people there are a lot of questions.
No offense to your CPA. There is more to a sound financial plan than your retirement funds. Those are very important, but as you have suddenly become aware there are other things that can happen to us besides making it to retirement. I would say that a basic term life insurance policy would be a good thing to start with. For you and one for your wife. The purpose of life insurance is to replace the financial contribution of the person that is lost or at least as much as possible. Losing a loved one is an awful thing to consider, but losing a loved one and then being financially burdened on top of that is adding insult to injury. I would also recommend asking your insurance agent or whomever you discuss these things with about an umbrella policy that covers you against accidents that happen that people might sue your for. Your homeowners and auto will cover you to a certain level, but an umbrella policy provides additional coverage. It may not be right for you, but it is something to educate yourself on. I would also get a second opinion on your home owners and auto policies. Even if you don't change your provider, a second look to make sure you are properly covered is a good idea. Home values have increased tremendously over the last 5-10 years and if you coverages have not been adjusted to keep pace you could be woefully under insured and up a creek in the event of an emergency.

After that, I would recommend a small emergency fund of a few months worth of expenses so that if the poop hits the air mover, you can get through a rough period without having to go into debt (or more debt). Then I would work on getting rid of as much debt as you can. Especially credit cards and car payments. They are the worst. After that, you will be able to better look towards retirement planning and ultimately estate planning.

Your browser search history would make Jeffrey Dahmer vomit. What is wrong with you? Where did the bad man touch you?
As far as I'm aware, you haven't touched me anywhere. Wait.... Are you sneaking into my room when I'm sleeping???! Now I won't be able to sleep at night, living in fear that you're sneaking into my home and touching me! You're sick, Glitch! Sick!

No offense to your CPA. There is more to a sound financial plan than your retirement funds. Those are very important, but as you have suddenly become aware there are other things that can happen to us besides making it to retirement. I would say that a basic term life insurance policy would be a good thing to start with. For you and one for your wife. The purpose of life insurance is to replace the financial contribution of the person that is lost or at least as much as possible. Losing a loved one is an awful thing to consider, but losing a loved one and then being financially burdened on top of that is adding insult to injury. I would also recommend asking your insurance agent or whomever you discuss these things with about an umbrella policy that covers you against accidents that happen that people might sue your for. Your homeowners and auto will cover you to a certain level, but an umbrella policy provides additional coverage. It may not be right for you, but it is something to educate yourself on. I would also get a second opinion on your home owners and auto policies. Even if you don't change your provider, a second look to make sure you are properly covered is a good idea. Home values have increased tremendously over the last 5-10 years and if you coverages have not been adjusted to keep pace you could be woefully under insured and up a creek in the event of an emergency.

After that, I would recommend a small emergency fund of a few months worth of expenses so that if the poop hits the air mover, you can get through a rough period without having to go into debt (or more debt). Then I would work on getting rid of as much debt as you can. Especially credit cards and car payments. They are the worst. After that, you will be able to better look towards retirement planning and ultimately estate planning.
Whoa. There was so much good information in that post. First off, thank you.
I have screen shot this post and writing down all this information you have posted. My wife has just contacted insurance company on home and car. That was a great idea.

Do you have a mortgage? Just get a 20 year term life that will cover your mortgage + a little extra

IMG_1049.gif

View attachment 665586
I really want to add a caption for Weezer. What's a good one to put on here?

*I'll edit it at lunch.
“What is your policy on TWSS jokes?”
“I was told there would be lunch?”
“We’ll ask the questions, mam”
“We accept.”
“We don’t work well with others.”
“I just soiled myself.”
“He’ll be having kittens and I’ll be having him.”
“Art thou retoided?”

Perfectly stated. I am a HUGE fan of the umbrella policies and sell them as often as I can.

"Home values have increased tremendously over the last 5-10 years and if your coverages have not been adjusted to keep pace you could be woefully under insured and up a creek in the event of an emergency." You would not believe how many people hear me say almost these exact words and still want to remain under-insured. I'm like "dude, we live in the middle of Tornado freaking Alley, do you want to be able to replace your house or not"

fiduciary financial planner here, not saying there’s anything particularly wrong with what you said - mostly sound advice, but probably shouldn't go around giving general advice with no knowledge of their overall financial situation. Also, I don’t agree with the sequential order you used for the various advice you just gave.

Reactions: Glitch

VN Store

Back