Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not going to go well, but I’m going to reply to this one…

Is McGill “coming around here bible thumping” solely on the fact that he revealed his occupation on here years ago? Although opinionated, I can’t recall where he has used the Bible against anyone, only has a source of comfort and encouragement, but even then… rarely cited.

How is he “holier than thou”? Not once have I heard him claim moral high ground on anyone when referring to himself. He has shared his distant past filled with womanizing, drugs, violence and alcohol. Having a strong opinion on a matter is not being “holier than thou.” He judged himself equally as harsh as anyone else.

In your next post you point out his hypocrisy. Granted, while we don’t know anyone’s private life on here, McGill does not appear to be a hypocrite either. In the context of some discussions he uses some language that is not culturally associated with being a person of faith. However, some people are turned off by someone who appears “too good to be true” and having rough edges allows you to connect in a real way with the broken. This can be especially true in areas of poverty or youth ministry, both of which are his ministry expressions.

In my opinion McGill is exactly who he is in here as he is in real life. By definition, that is the opposite of a hypocrite… that is congruency. His occupation is giving medical assistance to those who cannot help themselves and his ministry expression is to work with poor youth. I think we can bear with a fellow Vol fan if he is a bit cranky

Nailed it.

If we take any kind of perceived step back...watch the tar, feathers and pitchforks come out. Next year a lot of those people will be expecting 9-10 wins, and that probably ain't happening due to the guys we are losing..so we will see pretty quickly if I am right or not.

I think it will take three-four good recruiting classes and a few well chosen transfers to get the roster right...and we can't afford a bunch of busts.
You’re definitely right. As soon as any step back occurs people will be losing their minds and we’ll be right back here.

If we take any kind of perceived step back...watch the tar, feathers and pitchforks come out. Next year a lot of those people will be expecting 9-10 wins, and that probably ain't happening due to the guys we are losing..so we will see pretty quickly if I am right or not.

I think it will take three-four good recruiting classes and a few well chosen transfers to get the roster right...and we can't afford a bunch of busts.
No doubt you're right about this. Unfortunately, being reasonable is a full-time job on this site.

If you're a prospect we're recruiting on defense... You have to take notice of need, especially in the front seven. Right? I think we've shown enough that this staff, with a few more/better pieces, can compete at high levels in spurts. For consistency... Well... That's about players.

I still don't think this class will be a huge splash. But I do think there are some guys that have taken notice.

Probably not going to go well, but I’m going to reply to this one…

Is McGill “coming around here bible thumping” solely on the fact that he revealed his occupation on here years ago? Although opinionated, I can’t recall where he has used the Bible against anyone, only has a source of comfort and encouragement, but even then… rarely cited.

How is he “holier than thou”? Not once have I heard him claim moral high ground on anyone when referring to himself. He has shared his distant past filled with womanizing, drugs, violence and alcohol. Having a strong opinion on a matter is not being “holier than thou.” He judged himself equally as harsh as anyone else.

In your next post you point out his hypocrisy. Granted, while we don’t know anyone’s private life on here, McGill does not appear to be a hypocrite either. In the context of some discussions he uses some language that is not culturally associated with being a person of faith. However, some people are turned off by someone who appears “too good to be true” and having rough edges allows you to connect in a real way with the broken. This can be especially true in areas of poverty or youth ministry, both of which are his ministry expressions.

In my opinion McGill is exactly who he is in here as he is in real life. By definition, that is the opposite of a hypocrite… that is congruency. His occupation is giving medical assistance to those who cannot help themselves and his ministry expression is to work with poor youth. I think we can bear with a fellow Vol fan if he is a bit cranky

Agree with all of this. Met has misplaced anger. McGill is an easy target . He’s crusty. He’s real. He has, never once, claimed to be better than anyone, nor roundhouse’d someone with scripture. Someone is seeing something that isn’t there. I love real Christians, he ain’t fake.

Hooker passed for more yards against Georgia than any other qb.

Tennessee had more passing yardage total than any other team.

Tennessee had more total yardage than any other team.

Tennessee scored more points than any other team (and left points on the field trying to be aggressive on 4th inside the red zone)

Two of the three phases are good enough to compete. Defense needs to be shored up, and then we'll be a force.
This^ and we left another 6-9 points going for it on 4th. In a game where you can trust your defense to get stops, you take those points. We moved the ball against that incredible defense without our #1 RB (Evans) and without a starting WR (Peyton).

I'm bummed by the outcome, but excited by the potential moving forward. We've got a lot of good football to watch over the next few years, and hopefully longer.

This^ and we left another 6-9 points going for it on 4th. In a game where you can trust your defense to get stops, you take those points. We moved the ball against that incredible defense without our #1 RB (Evans) and without a starting WR (Peyton).

I'm bummed by the outcome, but excited by the potential moving forward. We've got a lot of good football to watch over the next few years, and hopefully longer.

Nice.

Yesterday demonstrated the glaring lack of speed on the defensive side especially at safety, linebacker and defensive ends. Tremblay got abused several times and Baron rarely showed up. Flowers and McCullough are slow. Everyone plays hard and gives their all but their physical limitations are obvious.
Curious... Is this the way GA has made other teams look? They are loaded with the best 5 and high 4 star players money can buy. Everyone knew before the season started where we were on defense so why are people acting shocked? I was afraid every team we played would make our defense look that way. Been pleasantly surprised at what the coaches have gotten out of them.

OK the day after....had a great time. I was hoping for a win but deep down expecting a loss. From my un trained eye it just looks like on defense we are seeing things just a hair to late and we can't quite get to it in time. I know we don't have much team speed but the lack of depth is making that worse. Give this coaching staff some time and I think things will get better.

It's easier to tear things down than to build them back up.

OK - when going back through the posts since last night, some need to to take a breath. Or a lap. Or a visit to the Waffle House.

Texas has a HUGE roster attitude problem that has messed them up since Mack was there. It's embedded. Sark knew that when he took the job. He will have to flush 90% of that roster before they find any real success. OU is ND-like. "Welcome to the SEC" will be eye-opening to both of them.

Pittman is killing it at Arky no matter what a few may say on here. That level of winning with that roster is amazing.

Folks may want to refrain from attacking our O-line play when they are the walking wounded with no SEC quality depth going against one of the greatest D's in CFB history with D-line and LB's that will go early in the NFL draft. Give it a rest. Heup could not max protect because Payton went down. JP is legit at deep routes and causes the secondary to have a S watch him over the top, which takes the S out of the box and short passing game. Without JP the D could focus on Tillman and Jones and pack it in more. Think about how the O began to sputter after he left. That said, HH did not play nearly as well as he has been. The offseason work will do him good.

It's been a great season making lemonade out of lemons. We know we have an O genius at HC and a quality staff. Over half the board said they would be happy with 6-6, 7-5 and a bowl. Most of the others said 4 or 5 wins. Well, here they are going to 7-5 and a bowl with sanctions looming all season and all the pre-season transfers that led to a severely depleted the roster. The guys who got paid under the table are gone. Fresh start to doing things right with NIL. It will take 3-4 years to know the upside under Heup. But I'm up for it because I think he can get it done.

It's all about recruiting from this point on IMO. W/L results will tell how he did there - not recruiting service rankings. It's a new day. Even Bama and UGA are going to be active in the portal because guys will be leaving them more often to get playing time elsewhere. Kiffin used it well to really help his D. We need to be all about it to build depth.
Good post!

We should clear a spot open for Coach O as a defensive assistant/ assistant HC. Pay him really well and we’d get some defensive recruits with him and Gardner I’d have no doubt about that
Hell no. He and Kiffin bent us over and tried to make us like it. Plus, he is a total tool. I hope he never works in college sports again.

Hooker passed for more yards against Georgia than any other qb.

Tennessee had more passing yardage total than any other team.

Tennessee had more total yardage than any other team.

Tennessee scored more points than any other team (and left points on the field trying to be aggressive on 4th inside the red zone)

Two of the three phases are good enough to compete. Defense needs to be shored up, and then we'll be a force.
Yes. Was 2 or more field goals we could have gotten? 6 or more points to add to 17? Actually heard someone change the “only 13 points a game have been scored on GA” to “still it’s only 17 points the Bulldogs have allowed”.... They can’t let it go and don’t care to realize TN could have scored more if they weren’t going for TDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back