TransPerfect Music City Bowl
Thursday, Dec. 30 ⋅ Nashville, TN
Projection:Minnesota vs. Tennessee
Action Spread:Tennessee -4.5

Athlon:

Duke’s Mayo Bowl (Dec. 30)

Tie-In: ACC vs. SEC

Projection: NC State vs. Tennessee

SPOILER ALERT: They are all wrong. We are going to the Gator or the Outback.
Easily the game I want is Clemson. I think we win, and I think taking that team to the woodshed would be more of a recruiting pitch than any other realistic opponent.

Reactions: BigSteve09
The NFL is full of 2 and 3 star guys from tiny schools. If Huep and his staff have time, and get the guys they like, we can build a powerhouse. It's just going to take time. We need to get some guys and have them spend 3 to 4 years getting coached up. We end up with 20-22 year old guys that have been in the system, playing 18 to 20 year old kids trying to get to the league. We can be the BYU of the SEC lol.
We will never “build a powerhouse” with 2 and 3 star guys everywhere in our class. Just isn’t happening in 21st century football. Every team that’s won a Championship has had at least a 50% Blue Chip Ratio or higher in their roster. That’s about 16 teams this season that fit that category

Is it just me that thinks this place has gone to tee total ****? I hang out in the RF because it's was a great group of vol fans that had a good time. Now it seems to have turned into FF light. Everyone bickering back and forth, arguing about trivial things. God forbid two people having a different opinion.
I agree to an extent… Most of it has to do with absolutely nothing going on with major prospects in recruiting

Reactions: InVOLuntary
If that sob goes to the U.....I might have a “come apart”
FSU would be fine with me, but the players, recruits, and Ad Min love Norvell. He’s doing what’s needed in Tallahassee, and more importantly, the university is going to give him the time to do it.
My connections there aren’t recent- but I’ve heard the opposite. Absolutely possible I’m wrong since I knew most people in the athletic department from the coach era.

Reactions: peaygolf
My connections there aren’t recent- but I’ve heard the opposite. Absolutely possible I’m wrong since I knew most people in the athletic department from the coach era.
I definitely don’t have anyone “inside.” Just good friends who are decent boosters. That’s what they say, but the “higher ups” might say different.

With that said, FSUs recruiting class is holding strong, even at 4-6. There has to be some continuity between boosters and ad min.....one would think.....

Reactions: crazyguy
We will never “build a powerhouse” with 2 and 3 star guys everywhere in our class. Just isn’t happening in 21st century football. Every team that’s won a Championship has had at least a 50% Blue Chip Ratio or higher in their roster. That’s about 16 teams this season that fit that category
We need to fahr Heupel immediately and get someone in here who can somehow hypnotize/bribe/force these top players to come here or we will never be able to beat UGA and Bama...nevermind that nobody anywhere is really making a dent in accomplishing that consistently, surely we can throw enough money at some great hypnotist/recruiter to make this happen.

Every second is another wasted second...we are never going to win without these top 100 players...can't be done..

We need to fahr Heupel immediately and get someone in here who can somehow hypnotize/bribe/force these top players to come here or we will never be able to beat UGA and Bama...nevermind that nobody anywhere is really making a dent in accomplishing that consistently, surely we can throw enough money at some great hypnotist/recruiter to make this happen.

Every second is another wasted second...we are never going to win without these top 100 players...can't be done..
I never said fire Heupel lmao but to say someone will build a “powerhouse” with 2 and 3 stars making up a good size of your roster is simply not going to happen. I’ve been quite pleased with Heupel this season. Going to have to judge the recruiting starting in the 2023 class to get a more accurate assessment

I never said fire Heupel lmao but to say someone will build a “powerhouse” with 2 and 3 stars making up a good size of your roster is simply not going to happen. I’ve been quite pleased with Heupel this season. Going to have to judge the recruiting starting in the 2023 class to get a more accurate assessment
I'm just being extremely sarcastic..

This is true, and a widely accepted and appropriately adopted statistic for college football fans.

Do you think we are at a point in our program where we need to be worried about our Blue Chip Ratio? Even our recent teams that have been in/around the Blue Chip ratio cut-off haven't exactly been world-beaters.

Isn't it better now to focus on building a foundation and consistency to finish with 7 to 9 wins year over year for a few years. Continue to distance ourselves from our recent company (South Carolina, Missouri, Kentucky, Vanderbilt) and close the gap on our traditional competition (Florida, Georgia, Alabama)? Then when we've demonstrated continued success and stability, start to put our eggs in the Blue Chip Ratio basket?

We are desperate for DEPTH right now, let alone ballers that can grow in the system and be contributors as 2nd and 3rd year players.

Edit: I see the original comment(s) now...

Yeah guys, we aren't going to build anything of significance and crack 9 wins in the SEC with 2 and 3 stars all over the roster.

While I agree with others that we need to build our foundation first, and take depth where we can, we aren't going to control the SEC with fully developed 2-stars. This isn't Stanford 20 years ago.

Furthermore, the more that recruiting and scouting is refined, the less we will see of the heralded 2 stars in the league.

Also...I think that all depends on the 3*s we get. There are hundreds of them that are vastly underrated every single year, and they are ripe for picking..the trick is identifying those guys.

This is true, and a widely accepted and appropriately adopted statistic for college football fans.

Do you think we are at a point in our program where we need to be worried about our Blue Chip Ratio? Even our recent teams that have been in/around the Blue Chip ratio cut-off haven't exactly been world-beaters.

Isn't it better now to focus on building a foundation and consistency to finish with 7 to 9 wins year over year for a few years. Continue to distance ourselves from our recent company (South Carolina, Missouri, Kentucky, Vanderbilt) and close the gap on our traditional competition (Florida, Georgia, Alabama)? Then when we've demonstrated continued success and stability, start to put our eggs in the Blue Chip Ratio basket?

We are desperate for DEPTH right now, let alone ballers that can grow in the system and be contributors as 2nd and 3rd year players.
I totally agree with you. I just want a consistent program in which I think we’re headed with Heupel. I get we’re not at a point where we can just snatch Top 4 and 5 star kids nor do I expect it to happen right now. I was just responding to the powerhouse comment with your roster being made of 2’s and 3’s

Reactions: BigSteve09
Random but we had a 3 win team and lost most of the starters. Gave the remaining backups, and some transfers, no more than a hot minute of real coaching and they're headed for 7 wins.

Trading up is fun.
Not being negative because this team is by far and away a better prepared, more fun to watch, and all-around great team. And considering what Heup has done with the roster we have, we’re trending in the right direction. But in 2020 we were 3-7 in the SEC (all conf schedule due to covid). We should be 4-4 in SEC this year. So it’s slightly better. As much crap as this sub gives UK and MS St for soft scheduling, gotta keep everything in perspective.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
I totally agree with you. I just want a consistent program in which I think we’re headed with Heupel. I get we’re not at a point where we can just snatch Top 4 and 5 star kids nor do I expect it to happen right now. I was just responding to the powerhouse comment with your roster being made of 2’s and 3’s
Yeah I went back and saw that and refined my statement. You're right.

Reactions: VolNash17
Also...I think that all depends on the 3*s we get. There are hundreds of them that are vastly underrated every single year, and they are ripe for picking..the trick is identifying those guys.
I agree with you. I just want a consistent program and I think we’re headed that way with Heupel. Have to give him time and facilities getting upgraded as well. Hopefully in the meantime he can find those diamonds in the rough to keep the consistency

Kentucky has done a great job in the Stoops era of taking 3-stars and developing them into upper classmen that can compete in the league, particularly on the OL.

Then we see the ceiling that they bump their head on, even in their best years.

Agreed

Reactions: VolNash17
I agree with you. I just want a consistent program and I think we’re headed that way with Heupel. Have to give him time and facilities getting upgraded as well. Hopefully in the meantime he can find those diamonds in the rough to keep the consistency
Agreed...but I know that Heupel is going to have to do it the hard way, and that is not at all his fault. He will have to win with what he can get before the higher rated guys start coming here again in sufficient numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back