Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like what Heupel is doing on the field this season. He also gets that we need to recruit upper level talents to add depth in the future to compete with the upper level programs like Bammer and Georgia. I saw somewhere today he said that they’ve got to recruit recruit recruit to catch up a bit and he said we will. Love the optimism and hope it comes to fruition. Good foundation to build off of a winning season

Okay I’ll do that if you review the game we just played last Saturday.

Tillman is an anomaly.

We got waxed by a team loaded with those players us “star watchers” wanted.
I agree with you. Stars aren’t always accurate as we have a few cases here and there of breakouts but the % of recruits that end up being all Americans and pro bowlers compared to their star rankings is interesting. 5’s have the higher success rate then 4’s drop off a bit and then 3’s really drop off big time. Which is why the blue chip ratio is important to judge rosters on who can win national championships. Heupel with a roster of 4’s would be phenomenal. Have to scout and develop well until we can get the attention of them to come here

This is true, and a widely accepted and appropriately adopted statistic for college football fans.

Do you think we are at a point in our program where we need to be worried about our Blue Chip Ratio? Even our recent teams that have been in/around the Blue Chip ratio cut-off haven't exactly been world-beaters.

Isn't it better now to focus on building a foundation and consistency to finish with 7 to 9 wins year over year for a few years. Continue to distance ourselves from our recent company (South Carolina, Missouri, Kentucky, Vanderbilt) and close the gap on our traditional competition (Florida, Georgia, Alabama)? Then when we've demonstrated continued success and stability, start to put our eggs in the Blue Chip Ratio basket?

We are desperate for DEPTH right now, let alone ballers that can grow in the system and be contributors as 2nd and 3rd year players.

Edit: I see the original comment(s) now...

Yeah guys, we aren't going to build anything of significance and crack 9 wins in the SEC with 2 and 3 stars all over the roster.

While I agree with others that we need to build our foundation first, and take depth where we can, we aren't going to control the SEC with fully developed 2-stars. This isn't Stanford 20 years ago.

Furthermore, the more that recruiting and scouting is refined, the less we will see of the heralded 2 stars in the league.
Take a look at what Barnes has done with our BB team. He built a foundation with players hardly anyone else wanted and he developed them into a great team. After the foundation was established, he started going after the 5 star guys and has landed some very good players to complement them. I think it can be done in football but it's gonna take patience and time. Sadly, I think our fan base will turn on Heupel before he gets there.

Take a look at what Barnes has done with our BB team. He built a foundation with players hardly anyone else wanted and he developed them into a great team. After the foundation was established, he started going after the 5 star guys and has landed some very good players to complement them. I think it can be done in football but it's gonna take patience and time. Sadly, I think our fan base will turn on Heupel before he gets there.
Our fan base needs to just accept the fact that we're married to Heupel for the next 5yrs. . . and it's actually a good thing too. I hope he stays a decade or more if the players keep responding to his coaching and he keeps delivering results.

That 19 ranking is garbage and doesn't take into account the higher rated guys we have that aren't contributing much or are injured. We have a few holdover guys and other teams refuse and Heupel has wrung every last drop out of them he could get.

19 ain't that high lol. It's about as low as we've been in the past decade...but it's far from "bottom of the SEC" as the previous poster said. Very far from it. Still comfortably ahead the likes of USCjr, UK, and Mizzou. And if people think our players are worse than theirs, then idk what to say.

Like Bass drove home all offseason, this team is still plenty talented. There's a reason, despite 3-7 and so much attrition, Vegas pegged us at 6.5 wins. This team has some dudes and nobody can honestly watch and not see that. We need way more, yes, but this is hardly a bum team. If people think this team has sub-top 20 talent and worse than USCjr and others, idk what to say. These dudes can play...

Reactions: Govolsman98
That's a good example and one that I wish more fans would draw experience and perspective from.

So much easier to turn around a program in BBall.

I think kiffin wants back in the nfl.

It does seem like some of the college guys are starting to look more into NFL game with transfer portal era and NIL making the landscape of recruiting and managing roster even more difficult. At end of the day they want to just coach and have some time off in off-season that the NFL offers. I don’t know if the NFL teams will put up with his antics though.

I am not complaining.

Every team is adding commits and seeing decommits.

It's a crazy time.
They were talking about it on Sirius today. They said ACC basketball teams are 50% different than last years teams overall. They said football will be like that soon (not quite as drastic). They said with the one time transfer rule, kids will be leaving teams more frequently and later in the year to go start somewhere else. So teams have no idea what they will look like until fall camp. They quote Kirby as he said every Sunday he calls players who didn’t play to tell them how their future looks and keep them motivated to stay. It’s going to be a different era with saving spots for transfers and movement of rosters for months.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
They were talking about it on Sirius today. They said ACC basketball teams are 50% different than last years teams overall. They said football will be like that soon (not quite as drastic). They said with the one time transfer rule, kids will be leaving teams more frequently and later in the year to go start somewhere else. So teams have no idea what they will look like until fall camp. They quote Kirby as he said every Sunday he calls players who didn’t play to tell them how their future looks and keep them motivated to stay. It’s going to be a different era with saving spots for transfers and movement of rosters for months.
This makes talent evaluation that much more important. Recruiting a few 4 and 5 star kids isn't enough. You must be able to find, evaluate, and score routinely on under-the-radar talent that fits in your system. Keeping 4 and 5 star recruits happy for 2-3 years will become nearly impossible, if they're not playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back