Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
The further you get from being relevant, the harder it is to hire a great coach. That results in having to gamble on young up-and-comers. We've seen this in football.
I hate the idea that the Lady Vols would ever be irrelevant. I think, when a change needs to be made, AD White will come thru big-time.

Pff ratings are a complete joke. Do not pay attention to them.
Upsides and downsides. Better than traditional stats, because they're process-oriented and watching every player on every play, rather than results-oriented and only going off plays where a box stat is produced, which is far worse. So it's still better than anything mass-produced and easily accessible to most people.

But it's certainly not professional evaluation/expert level opinion either. The major downside is they don't know each player's assignment on each play, so I would agree quite a bit can get lost.

Consumer-grade - yes.

Industry-grade - of course not and nobody in the public gets that unless they want to shell out monies like million dollar teams do.

Yeah!

Just like it's worked out in football. ;)
In football….. you have to start 22 players plus build great depth….. basketball is just 5 starters…. Hire the right coach and you will be fine. Now hire a bunch of Butch Jones/Pruitt type coaches and the Lady Vols will never be the same.

The further you get from being relevant, the harder it is to hire a great coach. That results in having to gamble on young up-and-comers. We've seen this in football.
The Lady Vol Brand will still be there…. If the money is there then they will come….. it’s really not about established coach or up and comer…. Both can be successful and both can fail….. I have faith that Danny White will hire the right person…. Not worried at all.

It’s kind of funny how much we all care when, like me, you likely rarely even watched Summit’s teams 😂 I know I haven’t watched any games since I was a student. But dagnabit I’m greedy and want us to be elite.

Last edited:
Reactions: VOLSONLY
I don't despise any of those. Problem is you can't separate the person from the job. She is a pathetic coach, as was Holly, Butch, Pruitt, and Hamilton as an AD. Fulmer was a pathetic AD and I am a huge Fulmer fan and was stoked for him as an AD. Kellie is pathetic head coach. She'll never succeed here. The longer she stays, the further the program will slip into irrelevance.
You think that's it, huh? Even though I did that very thing, separate, in my last post? Ok...well...I disagree; and, will continue thinking neither Kellie, nor Holly, were right for the job, Fulmer was a lousy AD, while also thinking it's foolish, and laughable, to even hint at Kellie Jolly being pathetic and "should go to jail" for what she's done to the program.

Yeah, Kellie isn’t an elite coach.

She does have a 69% win rate though. Not pathetic or terrible. Not sure yet if she’ll actually turn the corner from good to elite though.
She is trying to change the style of player we are taking too so it will be a difficult transition especially with Rae out right now…. Miles and Puckett are showing a lot of promise right now though… Hope they keep improving.

The Lady Vol Brand will still be there…. If the money is there then they will come….. it’s really not about established coach or up and comer…. Both can be successful and both can fail….. I have faith that Danny White will hire the right person…. Not worried at all.
How'd that work for football? No coach would even give the Vols a serious look.

The power lady basketball programs back in the day were TN, ODU, LA Tech. ODU, LA Tech are an afterthought In women's college basketball. The Lady Vols are not far behind.

Danny White found out the hard way that no coaches worth anything would give us a look. Heck, hot coordinators wouldn't give us much of a look. If CJH works out, and I like him more than any coach we've hired since Fulmer, it will be a long shot that paid off. The Lady Vol program ain't what it used to be and we're so far removed from being a national power, we won't be able to hire a successful, established coach. No Dawn, Staley, no Jeff Walz, no established coach.

You think that's it, huh? Even though I did that very thing, separate, in my last post? Ok...well...I disagree; and, will continue thinking neither Kellie, nor Holly, were right for the job, Fulmer was a lousy AD, while also thinking it's foolish, and laughable, to even hint at Kellie Jolly being pathetic and "should go to jail" for what she's done to the program.
Go reread my post. I never suggested that Kellie should go to jail. I suggested that the people that let the program get to where it is should go to jail, because, it's criminal. Kellie is a pathetic coach.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill

The power lady basketball programs back in the day were TN, ODU, LA Tech. ODU, LA Tech are an afterthought In women's college basketball. The Lady Vols are not far behind.

Danny White found out the hard way that no coaches worth anything would give us a look. Heck, hot coordinators wouldn't give us much of a look. If CJH works out, and I like him more than any coach we've hired since Fulmer, it will be a long shot that paid off. The Lady Vol program ain't what it used to be and we're so far removed from being a national power, we won't be able to hire a successful, established coach. No Dawn, Staley, no Jeff Walz, no established coach.
This other teams fell off bc they were mid-majors in a time when the bigger schools didn’t put a lot of money/effort into women’s basketball….DW has an excellent history of hiring coaches at every stop he has been at….. we don’t really know for sure who DW went after as a football coach besides rumors that happen during every search…. The big difference with DW and the other AD’s we have hired….. he may swing big and miss but he also has lower level coaches that he is extremely confident in…. I’m feeling really good about Josh Heupel…. What about you?

Its because we cut our throats to get rid of Pruitt. No coaches wanted to be a part of a program, right or wrong that would go to lengths to avoid a settlement or buyout.

I'm not saying Jeremy didnt deserve it. Just saying we were a train wreck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back