Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think that's it, huh? Even though I did that very thing, separate, in my last post? Ok...well...I disagree; and, will continue thinking neither Kellie, nor Holly, were right for the job, Fulmer was a lousy AD, while also thinking it's foolish, and laughable, to even hint at Kellie Jolly being pathetic and "should go to jail" for what she's done to the program.
He didn't say Kellie should "go to jail", he said the people responsible for letting it sink to this level should.

I just stated I think he's the best hire since Fulmer. Go look at my posting history, despite being drag over the coals here, I was out on Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt early on in their stints as the HC of the Vols.

I absolutely believe White went after some whales and was told "no thanks" from several. He was also, was told "no thanks" from Elliott and some other assistants. He was told no from some mid major head coaches too. He settled on Heupel.
He got lucky, and so did we.

Exactly...way too many of those guys are doing nothing or contributing extremely little compared to their ranking.
Less than half are in the 2 deep, a quarter are starters. Yet people wanna show their recruiting rankings to “prove” we have a talented roster. There’s a reason we were projected 4 or 5 wins and 6 would be considered successful

Give me a roster full of 3*’s that have been developed and coached up over a roster of 4 and 5*’s that were not developed properly. Ex; Baylor, MSU, Pitt, Iowa, Arkansas, Cincinnati over UF, Lsu, Texas, USC, Miami. Good coaching will forever and always outweigh talent in CFB, it takes both to win a championship tho (except for in extremely rare situations (Chizik and Cam)

Last edited:
How we treated her? She freakin sucked at her job man..she did it to herself.

If you don't want to be called a pathetic coach and get rightfully fired..then don't have sloppy lazy disinterested teams representing one of the two greatest women's BB programs that ever were or will be.
Holly Warlick coached seven seasons: she won 172 games, won 72% of her games, averaged 24.5 wins a season, won 3 total SEC Titles, went to the Elite 8 three times...in what world is that called "sucking"?? Besides maybe 3 to 5 coaches in the sport, every single coach in women's college basketball would absolutely kill for those numbers.

Now, I know why you say/think this...it is from being absolutely spoiled in every conceivable way that comes from not only being a part of a dynasty, but something that actually transcends dynasty. Holly NEVER had a chance, no matter if she failed, nor matter she succeeded. Pat was not just a pioneer, she was THE pioneer. She truly transcends the game; idk if anyone else does that, not even Wooden or K or Auriemma.

With that said, disappointed in Holly's tenure, as successful as it was; hated it ended in her firing, a firing that had to happen, nonetheless. She definitely should have taken us to a couple of Final Fours, competed at a higher level, had better teams than she did, imo...but, it's not anything we haven't seen before when replacing a legend...however, it is different, Holly didn't replace just a legend...in my mind, Pat transcends legend, she truly is almost mythical. I give Holly credit for even wanting to come next.

He didn't say Kellie should "go to jail", he said the people responsible for letting it sink to this level should.
My point of all this still stands.

I can't believe I've talked this much about women's basketball tonight!?!? I guess it's something I've wanted to say for years now, what I've wanted to say about the Lady Vols. Not saying @InVOLuntary does it, has done it, or you; but, YOU talk about it all the time...what's taken to social media. The things ya'll have said tonight, I get it, I do...but, people took that sh!t to Holly on social media, and it was bullsh!t. Absolutely hold her and Kellie accountable, be critical; but, sorry...I just don't agree with telling them, or even saying it on a message board that they "suck", or "are pathetic", or all the other harsh sh!t that was said to or about them...even when warranted. Imo, they earned their pass from the real harsh sh!t; some of the things that were said about, or to, Holly on social media, by Vol "fans"...it was shameful. To absolutely skull drag one of our own like that, someone whose number hangs in the rafters, that was closer to Pat Summitt than you and I could ever dream? Sorry, I'll NEVER support it; and, hope to God, even though it WILL come, it doesn't happen to Kellie.

Holly Warlick coached seven seasons: she won 172 games, won 72% of her games, averaged 24.5 wins a season, won 3 total SEC Titles, went to the Elite 8 three times...in what world is that called "sucking"?? Besides maybe 3 to 5 coaches in the sport, every single coach in women's college basketball would absolutely kill for those numbers.

Now, I know why you say/think this...it is from being absolutely spoiled in every conceivable way that comes from not only being a part of a dynasty, but something that actually transcends dynasty. Holly NEVER had a chance, no matter if she failed, nor matter she succeeded. Pat was not just a pioneer, she was THE pioneer. She truly transcends the game; idk if anyone else does that, not even Wooden or K or Auriemma.

With that said, disappointed in Holly's tenure, as successful as it was; hated it ended in her firing, a firing that had to happen, nonetheless. She definitely should have taken us to a couple of Final Fours, competed at a higher level, had better teams than she did, imo...but, it's not anything we haven't seen before when replacing a legend...however, it is different, Holly didn't replace just a legend...in my mind, Pat transcends legend, she truly is almost mythical. I give Holly credit for even wanting to come next.
I know the numbers, I also know how the team looked and played...that is why so many LV fans got so vexed at her coaching. I mean you know that and admitted it yourself.

I hate that she didn't put a really good looking, hard working ferocious team on the floor and had to be fired. I wish she had never gotten the job to start with and it wouldn't have come to that. It would be easier to process your aggravation towards the coach if it wasn't a LV.

My point of all this still stands.

I can't believe I've talked this much about women's basketball tonight!?!? I guess it's something I've wanted to say for years now, what I've wanted to say about the Lady Vols. Not saying @InVOLuntary does it, has done it, or you; but, YOU talk about it all the time...what's taken to social media. The things ya'll have said tonight, I get it, I do...but, people took that sh!t to Holly on social media, and it was bullsh!t. Absolutely hold her and Kellie accountable, be critical; but, sorry...I just don't agree with telling them, or even saying it on a message board that they "suck", or "are pathetic", or all the other harsh sh!t that was said to or about them...even when warranted. Imo, they earned their pass from the real harsh sh!t; some of the things that were said about, or to, Holly on social media, by Vol "fans"...it was shameful. To absolutely skull drag one of our own like that, someone whose number hangs in the rafters, that was closer to Pat Summitt than you and I could ever dream? Sorry, I'll NEVER support it; and, hope to God, even though it WILL come, it doesn't happen to Kellie.
I understand that, but bad coaching is bad coaching and calling it what it is is not wrong.. I am not a big womens BB fan like InVOLuntary, but I have paid enough attention to understand the aggravation.

I love Holly and Kellie as LVs, but they have put some awful looking stuff out there way too many times on the floor as coaches.

I know the numbers, I also know how the team looked and played...that is why so many LV fans got so vexed at her coaching. I mean you know that and admitted it yourself.

I hate that she didn't put a really good looking, hard working ferocious team on the floor and had to be fired. I wish she had never gotten the job to start with and it wouldn't have come to that. It would be easier to process your aggravation towards the coach if it wasn't a LV.
That's what done it for me, their competitive nature, or lack thereof. However, like boys, girls have changed a lot over the last 10 years, compared to what they were prior, they're attitudes, the culture...maybe Holly could have been more successful with a 20th Century athlete, as compared to a 21st Century athlete...been able to motivate them better. Idk...like you, I don't want to see any of them, Lady Vols, take the job, unless it's one that's just a slam dunk...even then, if they fail, many will forget what they meant to us as players.

My two cents on the LV's.... They don't look well coached. Maybe I'm just spoiled watching them under Pat for so long but they had roles and executed those roles. If they didn't, they sat the bench.

What I've seen under the last two coaches, specifically HW was a lot of freelancing.

The same thing that happened to the LV’s will happen to Bama in football. Summit was a once in a lifetime coach, she changed the game forever. Unless they hired Geno there really wasn’t anyone that was gonna replicate what Pat did or really even come close to the things she accomplished. It makes it even harder now because women’s Bball is so much more competitive than it ever has been. Holly was able to have a little success early on but that quickly faded

Fans become spoiled when you’re that dominate for so long, but getting a legendary coach back to back just doesn’t happen

I understand that, but bad coaching is bad coaching and calling it what it is is not wrong.. I am not a big womens BB fan like InVOLuntary, but I have paid enough attention to understand the aggravation.

I love Holly and Kellie as LVs, but they have put some awful looking stuff out there way too many times on the floor as coaches.
Right there...I support this message. I guess I just can't bring myself to say Holly Warlick or Kellie Jolly "suck", in ANY sense...they were THAT badass as Lady Vols. Kellie wouldn't hear me anyway, one of her three rings would get in the way.

Also with how the women’s game has grown, if Kellie can just keep winning I will take it.

Love Pat, but she didn’t have to deal with a SEC like exist now. What Staley has been doing in South Carolina has really made this conference & region tougher to recruit in.

Not to mention A&M, Mississippi State, and even Kentucky.

If Pat were still around, South Carolina, A&M, Ms St and Kentucky would have never progressed to the point they are today. Pat’s early unfortunate departure created a vacuum within the conference.

We have a ton of portal work to do for next season in my opinion. Lose a lot of the DL, two starting receivers, and a lot of other guys can decide to leave if they want (Hooker, Tillman, Taylor, Mays, Wright, Evans, etc). Plus it would be really nice to add some experience at linebacker, offensive line, and defensive back.

We really need to have some good fortune in the portal again.

From Basilio's blog this morning:

"Word is reverberating around Tennessee's program that Tiyon Evans might be finished with the Vols in order to get healthy and focus on the NFL Draft. This does line up with what I'm hearing as it seems like Evans has been focused on getting to the pros since arriving here. He's been very good when healthy but just hasn't been able to stay on the field. He was obviously not himself in the Kentucky game and would leave Tennessee with a gaping hole heading into bowl season. The junior from Hartsville, South Carolina was always going to be a short termer here. A 100 percent healthy Evans could've made a big difference in a few of the signature games."

That bums me out if true.

If this doesn't make the point of what you and McGill have been saying, not sure what would.
2-3 stars at Vandy or 4-5 stars at Bama, players don't all pan out the same. You get starters and backups.
Heup started with a lot of backups.
Brought out the potential in some, schemes around others.
Not trying to bash them, just not going to take away from the job Heupel has done, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back