Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, guys and gals, I just accepted my next job opportunity and Iā€™m quite excited about it! Small story time. Right before COVID hit, my wife and I moved back to the Knoxville area due to both of us wanting to be around family when we begin having our own. Due to the COVID madness I couldnā€™t find a job in my field (Chemist) in the Knoxville area. I needed to find a job so almost a year ago I took a job in a field that had nothing to do with my degree (Iā€™ve had a blast working there, though). Now, over 1.5 years later, I get to go back to using my degree at none other than ORNL! Iā€™m excited yet really nervous. All glory to God for this answered prayer!

Anyway, I know I know cool story bro

/story

The further you get from being relevant, the harder it is to hire a great coach. That results in having to gamble on young up-and-comers. We've seen this in football.
The problem is you can't seem to separate the two programs. Football has been the butt of jokes going on 10 years now, 73-75 from Kiffin to Pruitt, since Fulmer; Lady Vols are 208-83, that's over 20 wins a season, with 2 SEC Tournament Championships and Regular Season Championship, since Summitt. If Kellie keeps her current pace for another 2 to 3 seasons, if the Lady Vols continue their pace of the last 10 years, for another 2 to 3 seasons, we could still hire ANYONE not named Auriemma.

Two completely different places for the football program and Lady Vols. Football has been a laughing stock; Lady Vols have been a disappointment, while still winning 20+ games a season.

This other teams fell off bc they were mid-majors in a time when the bigger schools didnā€™t put a lot of money/effort into womenā€™s basketballā€¦.DW has an excellent history of hiring coaches at every stop he has been atā€¦.. we donā€™t really know for sure who DW went after as a football coach besides rumors that happen during every searchā€¦. The big difference with DW and the other ADā€™s we have hiredā€¦.. he may swing big and miss but he also has lower level coaches that he is extremely confident inā€¦. Iā€™m feeling really good about Josh Heupelā€¦. What about you?
I just stated I think he's the best hire since Fulmer. Go look at my posting history, despite being drag over the coals here, I was out on Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt early on in their stints as the HC of the Vols.

I absolutely believe White went after some whales and was told "no thanks" from several. He was also, was told "no thanks" from Elliott and some other assistants. He was told no from some mid major head coaches too. He settled on Heupel.

The problem is you can't seem to separate the two programs. Football has been the butt of jokes going on 10 years now, 73-75 from Kiffin to Pruitt, since Fulmer; Lady Vols are 208-83, that's over 20 wins a season, with 2 SEC Tournament Championships and Regular Season Championship, since Summitt. If Kellie keeps her current pace for another 2 to 3 seasons, if the Lady Vols continue their pace of the last 10 years, for another 2 to 3 seasons, we could still hire ANYONE not named Auriemma.

Two completely different places for the football program and Lady Vols. Football has been a laughing stock; Lady Vols have been a disappointment, while still winning 20+ games a season.
Lol. You don't think the lady vols are the brunt of jokes. šŸ¤£ Wait till this season ends.
The Lady Vols have been on a slide since the end of the Pat Era and there is no end in sight.

The fact you can't see this and think.the Lady Vols are any more relevant than the football team tells me all I need to know about your ability to see things from a realistic perspective.

Its because we cut our throats to get rid of Pruitt. No coaches wanted to be a part of a program, right or wrong that would go to lengths to avoid a settlement or buyout.

I'm not saying Jeremy didnt deserve it. Just saying we were a train wreck.
It happened way before Pruitt. What about Dooley? Butch?

The train wreck started when Hamilton hired Kiffin. The roots aren't in the coaches we've hired, it goes way up the chain.

I hate the idea that the Lady Vols would ever be irrelevant. I think, when a change needs to be made, AD White will come thru big-time.
Itā€™ll never be like it was when Pat was coach.
Just wait. UConn will be good, not great when Geno retires. Duke, same when Coach K leaves.
UCLA isnā€™t what it was without Wooden. Indiana is average without Knight.
Letā€™s see how UNC is without Roy Williams. They werenā€™t very good after Dean left.

Itā€™s a lot harder to find great womenā€™s HCā€™s I would think.

Lady Vols will be fine.

Icons/legends donā€™t come around often.

Last edited:
Itā€™ll never be like it was when Pat was coach.
Just wait. UConn will be good, not great when Geno retires. Duke will be the same when Coach K leaves.
UCLA isnā€™t what it was without Wooden. Indiana is average without Knight.
Letā€™s see how UNC is without Roy Williams. They werenā€™t very good after Dean left.

Itā€™s a lot harder to find great womenā€™s HCā€™s I would think.

Lady Vols will be fine.

Icons/legends donā€™t come around often.
Agreed.

Hopefully we can stand out. The lady Vols should have a long line of great basketball minds that learned with/under Pat, and the brand still holds a lot of weight in that sport. I think we have a strong network in a tighter community to lean on.

How'd that work for football? No coach would even give the Vols a serious look.

The power lady basketball programs back in the day were TN, ODU, LA Tech. ODU, LA Tech are an afterthought In women's college basketball. The Lady Vols are not far behind.

Danny White found out the hard way that no coaches worth anything would give us a look. Heck, hot coordinators wouldn't give us much of a look. If CJH works out, and I like him more than any coach we've hired since Fulmer, it will be a long shot that paid off. The Lady Vol program ain't what it used to be and we're so far removed from being a national power, we won't be able to hire a successful, established coach. No Dawn, Staley, no Jeff Walz, no established coach.

You just have to hire the right person regardless of where they come from. Hiring a coach at a successful G5 school is not really a long shot. Outside of coordinator hires, Urban Meyer, Matt Campbell, Brian Kelly, Dave Clawson, Matt Rhule, Hugh Freeze are examples of successful coaches coming from G5 schools.

While the Lady Vol brand should be strong in womenā€™s basketball, I do not believe coaches like Staley and Walz are a given to leave. The hiring of coaches is vastly different than it was even 15 years ago.

I simply disagree that the Lady Vols are not far behind ODU and LT. Those are not P5 schools, and neither has played in the NCAAT in 10+ years. You talking that hyperbole.

Reactions: UTJoe and SugarCC
Lol. You don't think the lady vols are the brunt of jokes. šŸ¤£ Wait till this season ends.
The Lady Vols have been on a slide since the end of the Pat Era and there is no end in sight.

The fact you can't see this and think.the Lady Vols are any more relevant than the football team tells me all I need to know about your ability to see things from a realistic perspective.
Show me one joke about the Lady Vols. One. Just one link or social media post by an SEC or national media member, that can be considered shade or a disrespect about the Lady Vols. Just one.

I'll make a deal with you: IF you can find one link or one post, I'll find 20 about the football program that has been written or posted within the last month.

vandy? No,
Talent based off what? #1 recruiting rankings arenā€™t always accurate, #2 these veterans were under developed by last years poor coaching staff. We have 3rd year guys that donā€™t know how to fill their lane and are out of position. Itā€™s not necessarily their fault, it is what it is

This team is filled with guys that were pruitts backups to his 3-7 team. The ā€œtalent ratingā€ on 247 is skewed, it includes guys like Solomon, Bailey, Milton, etc that were 4*ā€™s or better than have no contributed at all
Exactly..that f'n #19 rating is pure garbage.

I just stated I think he's the best hire since Fulmer. Go look at my posting history, despite being drag over the coals here, I was out on Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt early on in their stints as the HC of the Vols.

I absolutely believe White went after some whales and was told "no thanks" from several. He was also, was told "no thanks" from Elliott and some other assistants. He was told no from some mid major head coaches too. He settled on Heupel.
Here is his history at UCF:
Previous womenā€™s coach won 41% overall and 39% in conferanceā€¦. One winning record in 9 seasonsā€¦.. the coach he hired is winning at 69% overall 70% in conference with 4 straight 20 win seasons.

Menā€™s basketball previous coach: 47% overall 35% in conferanceā€¦. His coach: 61% overall 53% overall

Football: previous coach 54% overall 63% conferanceā€¦.. his two hires: 76% overall 78% conference including an undefeated season

At Buffaloā€¦. He hired Bobby Hurley and Lance Leipold so he nailed both of those as well.
I donā€™t know who he offered bc DW keeps that extremely tight so any info would have to come from the other persons agent and I donā€™t trust thatā€¦. DW works down his list and does not consider Heup as settling as you call it.

Well, guys and gals, I just accepted my next job opportunity and Iā€™m quite excited about it! Small story time. Right before COVID hit, my wife and I moved back to the Knoxville area due to both of us wanting to be around family when we begin having our own. Due to the COVID madness I couldnā€™t find a job in my field (Chemist) in the Knoxville area. I needed to find a job so almost a year ago I took a job in a field that had nothing to do with my degree (Iā€™ve had a blast working there, though). Now, over 1.5 years later, I get to go back to using my degree at none other than ORNL! Iā€™m excited yet really nervous. All glory to God for this answered prayer!

/story
So your leaving your job in the truck stop bathroom? @InVOLuntary is going to be really disappointed.

She's pathetic. The offense is junior pro level. I don't think the AD cares about it. I'd say it would have to completely implode. People should go to jail for what they've done to Pat's program.
I wanted the Louisville Coach or the NC State coach that Ironically took over when Harper was fired from thereā€¦ but weā€™ll see what happens I guess. Hard to watch

/story

Congrats!

558.jpg

I agreeā€¦. I hated how we treated Holly and now how it appears we will treat Kellieā€¦.. I donā€™t have confidence in her as a coach but when/if it becomes to make a changeā€¦. All it takes is the right coach and you can be right back at the top quickly in basketbal.
How we treated her? She freakin sucked at her job man..she did it to herself.

If you don't want to be called a pathetic coach and get rightfully fired..then don't have sloppy lazy disinterested teams representing one of the two greatest women's BB programs that ever were or will be.

I agreeā€¦. I hated how we treated Holly and now how it appears we will treat Kellieā€¦.. I donā€™t have confidence in her as a coach but when/if it becomes to make a changeā€¦. All it takes is the right coach and you can be right back at the top quickly in basketbal.
we are 3-0, and ranked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back