Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Basilio's blog this morning:

"Word is reverberating around Tennessee's program that Tiyon Evans might be finished with the Vols in order to get healthy and focus on the NFL Draft. This does line up with what I'm hearing as it seems like Evans has been focused on getting to the pros since arriving here. He's been very good when healthy but just hasn't been able to stay on the field. He was obviously not himself in the Kentucky game and would leave Tennessee with a gaping hole heading into bowl season. The junior from Hartsville, South Carolina was always going to be a short termer here. A 100 percent healthy Evans could've made a big difference in a few of the signature games."

That bums me out if true.
He hasn't done enough to get any substantial draft improvement.

For what it's worth...with the Lady Vols arguing going on.

Holly and Kellie both aren't bad coaches, but the standard is just higher here because of Pat's success. Being a career 84% winner and hanging 8 championship banners is once a once in a generation type of coach.

Do I think Holly should have been fired? Yeah I do she got complacent with the new standard her program fell to, and you could hear it in her interviews. But she was still a 72% winner, which most schools would beg for honestly.

I just don't think our next hire should be a former Lady Vol, unless she's got a proven winning record at another P5 stop already.
Holly won at first with Pat's players and then was still able to secure decent classes but that talent dwindled as time went on. As talent dwindled her lack of coaching skills were more and more revealed. It's harder to recruit now to the Lady Vols because there are much better programs out there.

The Lady vols have had three games. They've struggled to get out of the 50s each game. The offensive sets are atrocious (if you can identify them). If Holly and Kellie were not VFLs, few would be bothered by the criticism that I've offered.

I agree, we need to go get the best coach available when the program takes another step down the ladder. It shouldn't matter I they played here, coached here, man, nor women. Get the best coach.

My guess we'll be rolling the dice again on a "young coach with a lot of potential ". Don't see us spending the money that the elite teams are spending now. Maybe DW will prove me wrong. Maybe he'll hit a home run on a up-and-comer.

Evans has a kid, that makes sense.

Wonder if the Master Teague rumor pops back up

He strikes me as a ripe candidate for some good NIL deals if he gets healthy and comes back. He was on his way to an exceptional season and most Vol fans knew who he was. Strange decision if he leaves.

How'd that work for football? No coach would even give the Vols a serious look.

The power lady basketball programs back in the day were TN, ODU, LA Tech. ODU, LA Tech are an afterthought In women's college basketball. The Lady Vols are not far behind.

Danny White found out the hard way that no coaches worth anything would give us a look. Heck, hot coordinators wouldn't give us much of a look. If CJH works out, and I like him more than any coach we've hired since Fulmer, it will be a long shot that paid off. The Lady Vol program ain't what it used to be and we're so far removed from being a national power, we won't be able to hire a successful, established coach. No Dawn, Staley, no Jeff Walz, no established coach.

You actually can know that a coach will succeed when they take a step up. Honestly, who did not know Dawn Staley would succeed? Anybody who knew anything about women's basketball knew that. She went 172-80 at Temple with a 28-4 one season. Temple - nothing in women's basketball. So hugely successful as a player in college and WNBA. Proves herself at a nothing over 8-9 years. Walks into another nothing, but at an SEC school where they are hungry to build a program and win. They commit to the long term and she goes and builds the program and wins at an elite level.

But more to what they could have made happen with the timing, look what Schaefer did at MSU after being a top assistant at Arky and A&M all those years. Instead, MSU commits to building a winner and Schaefer delivers. Same timing as the Holly hire. Some of us knew Walz was the real answer to continue the elite success. Nope - did what they did. Wrong gender or whatever.

UT was no longer hungry to win - they were complacent - satisfied with their standing in the game. They did the Fulmer thing. The program then began sinking back. Too late. You look and plan for the future leader and relevance well in advance of needing him/her. Hiring the assistant who is part of the sinking was never the answer. Hiring one from the tree who had failed at an ACC previous to being successful at a lower level was dicey at best. But the hires were made to placate many LV $ supporters who still live in the glory years.

I don't see Danny White handling the future poorly. He knows better than me everything I posted above.

From Basilio's blog this morning:

"Word is reverberating around Tennessee's program that Tiyon Evans might be finished with the Vols in order to get healthy and focus on the NFL Draft. This does line up with what I'm hearing as it seems like Evans has been focused on getting to the pros since arriving here. He's been very good when healthy but just hasn't been able to stay on the field. He was obviously not himself in the Kentucky game and would leave Tennessee with a gaping hole heading into bowl season. The junior from Hartsville, South Carolina was always going to be a short termer here. A 100 percent healthy Evans could've made a big difference in a few of the signature games."

That bums me out if true.
Just not sure that’s the right move. RB is already a devalued position in the NFL and he has half a season of production

This feels like the kind of move a kid makes right before going undrafted.

I like Tiyon and I hope he balls out if this is the decision he makes. But it feels like he’s missed more time than he’s actually played. This season has flown by but has he really done much since the uscjr game?

Nevertheless- rooting for the kid. We do need to start having more representation in the NFL draft.
The Marquez North path

What has Evans done to show NFL scouts he's worth drafting right now? Unless we hit the lottery in the transfer portal and finish strong in recruiting, our team will take a large step backwards next season...

I mostly agree with this, but firing early is only half the equation…you gotta hire early/quickly. There is less than a month to ESD!

So many firings might actually help a school like Tennessee. It keeps kids from signing on ESD and giving other schools a chance to get in on them.
I was looking at this the other day as well. That really burned us last year with the whole investigation and uncertainty around Pruitt to end the season. Several of our guys bounced after ESD and the firing and left us really depleted. Could be we pick up some of those guys from the portal that see the writing on the wall with new staffs coming in/ their guy leaving. It really is a pickle for schools to handle the timing of firing/hiring a coach now. Best to have a replacement lined up, but the good coaches aren't leaving their school mid-season.

Look at LSU they fired Orgeron a month ago, but any potential replacement is probably still coaching his team until the end of the season. That means they most likely won't get a hire until December and have maybe 2 weeks to recruit before ESD. This may be the year that the ESD stampede slows down a bit and NSD becomes closer to what it used to be. Either way more time to talk or more transfers available should only help the VOLS. Nice to finally be the stable team in the middle of a chaotic coaching carousel season!

I just need to get it off my chest how annoyed I am that mizzou is putting together such a good class.

Missouri 2022 Football Commits

Drinkowitz is a nerd. They play in a high school stadium with rocks in the end zone.

We should not finish below them.
Who cares? We will still WTA on the field.

What has Evans done to show NFL scouts he's worth drafting right now? Unless we hit the lottery in the transfer portal and finish strong in recruiting, our team will take a large step backwards next season...

Not going to be popular, but RBs are (for the most part) are a dime a dozen. There are big, fast, backs everywhere.

Start the ripping

La'Damian Webb. Ex FSU back at Jones College. 5'8" 220.
Avgs 140 yards a game. Go get him.:)

I just need to get it off my chest how annoyed I am that mizzou is putting together such a good class.

Missouri 2022 Football Commits

Drinkowitz is a nerd. They play in a high school stadium with rocks in the end zone.

We should not finish below them.
North Carolina is the class that irks me. They are sealing up their state lines and there is some real talent there that the Vols have tapped into in the past. Wish we could pull them in a Charlotte bowl game and stomp the baby blue out of them. Maybe open the state back up to recruiting next year.

T-Evans has good potential, that was never fulfilled here. If he goes, good luck to him. It will probably be as a UFA. But we can plug and play a transfer and get as much or more production from somebody with less upside and better health.

That RB room needs restocked. Amazing what Heup has gotten out of his O without enough good players to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back