Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finebaum just said SEC is working on a model where 3 teams are made permanent opponents then the rest of the 5 or 6 games rotate and the best two records play for the Conference Title. Lol knowing our luck we’ll have Georgia Bama Florida or something of that nature lmao… he said it was in the works and not final but I found it interesting on his show a few minutes ago
It’ll be candy, bama and my guess is aubby/Florida

I do not want the rivalry with Florida to cease.

That being said, if the divisions are dismantling, is there really a rivalry anymore?

Finebaum just said SEC is working on a model where 3 teams are made permanent opponents then the rest of the 5 or 6 games rotate and the best two records play for the Conference Title. Lol knowing our luck we’ll have Georgia Bama Florida or something of that nature lmao… he said it was in the works and not final but I found it interesting on his show a few minutes ago
i think you kinda need to keep at least two of them, right? i mean TN went decades w/out playing florida and georgia regularly, until the divisional play started. prior to that, Alabama, Auburn, Ole miss, Vandy, UK were the regular rivals.

i'm not sure which one i'd want to get rid of though honestly. the traditionalist in me says you can't get rid of Bama. but really, is that game critical? it's been 15 years, so the thought of it being a hated rivalry game is kinda lost on anyone under the age of 20. we're not even competitive with them, record wise, over that time span.

the problem is we're not all that competitive with the other two either, but it feels like things could turn against FL maybe, finally.

Georgia, on the other hand...i don't see anything really slowing them down in the near future....but back to Bama...Saban is going to retire...a whole lot sooner than Kriby. so, the traditionalist and the pragmatist unite. keep bama and FL, jettison UGA. besides they'll want to keep FL and Auburn as permenants....so err'body wins. maybe they could pick up Bama as their 3rd? we'd keep UK or Vandy to round out our 3 permanents.

i could get on board with that.

Bama. UK. Vandy please

I do not want the rivalry with Florida to cease.

That being said, if the divisions are dismantling, is there really a rivalry anymore?
not really, there wasnt before the divisions. nothing with Georgia either. so that helped create those.

but i think also, those games were made relevant, and to this day, still hold some relevance with media/fans. beating florida, georgia or bama carries weight, so if for no other reason that keeping relevant games on your schedule regularly, i think it's important to keep at least 2 of those 3.

plus, thanks to the divisions, there's already a familiarity with them, a built in rivalry that wasn't there before, and would remain if the divisions went away....

not really, there wasnt before the divisions. nothing with Georgia either. so that helped create those.

but i think also, those games were made relevant, and to this day, still hold some relevance with media/fans. beating florida, georgia or bama carries weight, so if for no other reason that keeping relevant games on your schedule regularly, i think it's important to keep at least 2 of those 3.

plus, thanks to the divisions, there's already a familiarity with them, a built in rivalry that wasn't there before, and would remain if the divisions went away....
Yeah, I think a more recent example would be LSU/Bama. Great games that have meant a lot and been meaningful for the conference and national title, but there's no "rivalry" if they aren't in the same division and in each other's way

i think you kinda need to keep at least two of them, right? i mean TN went decades w/out playing florida and georgia regularly, until the divisional play started. prior to that, Alabama, Auburn, Ole miss, Vandy, UK were the regular rivals.

i'm not sure which one i'd want to get rid of though honestly. the traditionalist in me says you can't get rid of Bama. but really, is that game critical? it's been 15 years, so the thought of it being a hated rivalry game is kinda lost on anyone under the age of 20. we're not even competitive with them, record wise, over that time span.

the problem is we're not all that competitive with the other two either, but it feels like things could turn against FL maybe, finally.

Georgia, on the other hand...i don't see anything really slowing them down in the near future....but back to Bama...Saban is going to retire...a whole lot sooner than Kriby. so, the traditionalist and the pragmatist unite. keep bama and FL, jettison UGA. besides they'll want to keep FL and Auburn as permenants....so err'body wins. maybe they could pick up Bama as their 3rd? we'd keep UK or Vandy to round out our 3 permanents.

i could get on board with that.
Kentucky vandy and USC/uga make the most geographical sense for the permanent 3

Bama. UK. Vandy please
I agree… Great thing is we’re likely to get Vanderbilt which is great. Saban won’t be at bammer too much longer as he’s 70 and then the next is likely Kentucky, South Carolina or Florida logically. But we’ll see I guess. I hope they don’t give us georgia if they keep that 3 team locked in model. I like it overall though

"Everyone knows Vanderbilt is of course our in-state rival...Kentucky...well they've been a state for so long, rival...and uhh ya know Missouri and us share a border"

Let it be!
Ole Miss with Kiffin was fun but we should get Vandy, Kentucky and Bama. Kentucky can be meh sometimes in Football, but in basketball we are big rivals. Vandy has the baseball team.

Reactions: SmokinBob

We have been the team that has played the hardest schedule (or at least one of the hardest) in the country for years. I wouldn't cry tears if we rotated and there were no more permanent rivals.

Remember watching this sketch at either 12 or 13, not even really knowing the song at that point I don't think, and still laughing my ass off. Can't ever hear someone even mention that song without remembering this. Also, why do things look like they were filmed underwater?

First time seeing that. Laughed my ass off too.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Not a fan of that. I'd rather they move Auburn and Bama to the East, move Mizzou to the West, and have Texas and OU in the West. Increase the SEC schedule to 9 games, no permanent cross division rivals. 7 division games a year, two rotating cross division games a year, winners of each division face off in the SEC championship game. I don't really want to lose any rivalry games myself. And the only real rivalry game I can think of lost in that format is LSU-Florida. And I'm okay with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back