Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
The SEC has been talking about the 4 pods model since news of Texas and Oklahoma joining the league broke earlier this year. If it's only 3 permanent teams, it would most likely be Bama, Vandy and I would think Kentucky... We have played all three of those for a long time now.

I don't see them splitting Bama from Auburn. The 4 pods model just isn't feasible if you want to keep traditional rivalries.

Reactions: drylo
Not a fan of that. I'd rather they move Auburn and Bama to the East, move Mizzou to the West, and have Texas and OU in the West. Increase the SEC schedule to 9 games, no permanent cross division rivals. 7 division games a year, two rotating cross division games a year, winners of each division face off in the SEC championship game. I don't really want to lose any rivalry games myself. And the only real rivalry game I can think of lost in that format is LSU-Florida. And I'm okay with that.
This scenario makes the most sense which is why it probably won’t happen. Sigh.

Give me vandy, Kentucky, and Alabama.

We get Vandy and Kentucky’s biggest rival and we get to keep one of the tougher rivals. Win win

Hate to say it but I’m not sure the rest of the league would be keen on Bama getting in a pod with Tennessee, Vandy and Kentucky.

My fear is that Tennessee is viewed as being one of the “Bottom 8” in this new league, and they get grouped in with two other elite programs.

To say the least, the optics of our program whenever Heupel was hired were not good; bad optics all around. Now, as he continues to put a better product on the field, it will go a long way of reestablishing our brand on a national scale, improving the optics from the outside.

Optics, product, and brand will only get better and better as Heupel establishes himself as our coach.

Better product = better optics, which leads to a better brand.
😖..🖕

Yes and no…. We have an absolutely horrible team…. Didn’t win a game and lost by a combined 124-20 on the season….. really bad players with poor coach…. Coach never even worked with my son…. We watched YouTube videos and practiced like crazy…. Started out really bad and was average by the end of the season…. He would make really good plays and bonehead ones at times…The problem was the other team would have several breakaways with 2-3 players against my son. My son took a lot of heat from the coach…. other players…. other parents bc the goalkeeper typically gets the blame for goals scored and not the guys in the field…. It was fine bc it just makes him tougher…. His mother feels like the Florida’s QB mom although instead of not going to the game…. She was ready to throw a couple moms off the stadium.
Well...either way, if they knew you were his parents they shouldn't have dogged him out where you could hear..that's bush.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
I had heard earlier in the year it could be Vols, Bama, Vandy and Auburn in one pod... Or, Vols, Bama, Kentucky and Auburn.. We got Bama and Auburn, but lost Georgia and Florida, and would lose either Kentucky or Vandy, and keep the other one. No idea, just rumors, but a 4 pod team with us and the two Alabama schools, plus one of either Vandy or Kentucky, would not surprise me in a 4 pods model.

Reactions: nesbuddha66
Tucker has been quite good to this point. Not great. Good. 5-7 at CU, which is a tough place to win, and 2-5 last year. I maintain last year was wonky anyway, but he did beat Michigan, so he’s undefeated against Harbaugh two years in. But…over 90 million dollars? Come on.
That is stupid money

giphy.gif

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
Gotta remember, Tennessee and Alabama, were the "foundation stones" of the SEC, back in 1933? Yes, they won't separate Bama and Auburn, but Tennessee, even though we have been down for 10-15 years now, still matters historically in this whole deal. Also, the SEC will somehow figure out a way for Georgia and Auburn to play, as frequently as possible, or at least I would think they would...

Bama. UK. Vandy please

I think those make the most sense for us, anyway. It's hard to shoe-horn some teams into rivalries, or preserve "rivalries" that don't really mean much.

I've spent way too much time on this... I'm really having trouble with some of these teams that don't have many meaningful rivalries...

Listing all the members with their associated rivalries according to their Wiki:

Alabama - Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, Miss St, Miss, Georgia, Florida
Auburn - Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Miss, Tenn
Mississippi - Miss St, LSU, Ark, Bama, Vandy, Aub
Miss St - Ole Miss, LSU, Alabama
LSU - Bama, Ark, Aub, Florida, Miss St, Miss, A&M
Texas A&M - LSU, Ark, Texas
Arkansas - Miss, LSU, Texas, A&M, Mizzou
Missouri - Okla, Ark
Texas - Okla, Ark, A&M
Oklahoma - Texas, Mizzou
Florida - UGA, Tenn, LSU, Aub, Bama
Kentucky - Tenn, SC, Vandy
Vanderbilt - Tenn, UGA, Miss, UK
South Carolina - UGA, Mizzou
Georgia - Bama, Aub, FLorida, SC, Tenn, Vandy
Tennessee - Bama, Florida, Vandy, UK, Georgia

So now that each program has a preference of opponent. I think the best stab at the 3 permanents would be:

Bama: Tenn, Aub, MSU
Aub: Bama, UGA, UF
Miss: MSU, Vandy, LSU
MSU: Miss, Bama, Okla
LSU: A&M, UF, Miss
A&M: Texas, Ark, LSU
Ark: A&M, Mizz, Texas
Mizz: Ark, Okla, SC
Texas: Okla, A&M, Ark
Okla: Texas, Mizz, MSU
UF: UGA, LSU, Aub
UK: Tenn, SC, Vandy
Vandy: Tenn, UK, Miss
SC: UGA, Mizz, UK
UGA: UF, SC, Aub
Tenn: Bama, Vandy, UK

Got some old rivalries back together, kept some teams together that think that they hate each other, even if I haven't heard of some of these rivalries. Oh, and welcome to the SEC, Oklahoma, here's a bunch of cowbells until you go deaf.

I thin the plan was to rotate every other opponent every other year. So we would play Okla at home in 2022 and at Okla in 2024, etc etc...

I would love it! I hope it happens.

Florida and Georgia are recent rivals for us, historically. I'll be 55 in January, Lord willing, and I remember it was always Auburn as the first SEC game, and then someone we rotated, like LSU, and then Bama - 3rd Saturday in October, followed by Ole Miss, Kentucky and Vandy. Sometimes the rotating SEC opponent was after Bama, like in November, but most of the time it was before Bama, or at least I think so... And, we always played GA Tech the week after Bama, normally speaking. That schedule gave us the opportunities to play someone like Notre Dame, UCLA, Southern Cal, Cal, Boston College, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back