Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
16 team conference. No pods. No divisions. Each team has 3 permanent rivals.
That leaves 12 teams to schedule. Play 6 of these teams in even years. The other
6 in odd years. Any player who stays 4 years will have played each other team at
least twice and will have played in every stadium at least once. Top two teams
play in championship game. Problem solved. SIMPLE
This would require a 9 game conference schedule.

Last edited:
I think those make the most sense for us, anyway. It's hard to shoe-horn some teams into rivalries, or preserve "rivalries" that don't really mean much.

I've spent way too much time on this... I'm really having trouble with some of these teams that don't have many meaningful rivalries...

Listing all the members with their associated rivalries according to their Wiki:

Alabama - Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, Miss St, Miss, Georgia, Florida
Auburn - Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Miss, Tenn
Mississippi - Miss St, LSU, Ark, Bama, Vandy, Aub
Miss St - Ole Miss, LSU, Alabama
LSU - Bama, Ark, Aub, Florida, Miss St, Miss, A&M
Texas A&M - LSU, Ark, Texas
Arkansas - Miss, LSU, Texas, A&M, Mizzou
Missouri - Okla, Ark
Texas - Okla, Ark, A&M
Oklahoma - Texas, Mizzou
Florida - UGA, Tenn, LSU, Aub, Bama
Kentucky - Tenn, SC, Vandy
Vanderbilt - Tenn, UGA, Miss, UK
South Carolina - UGA, Mizzou
Georgia - Bama, Aub, FLorida, SC, Tenn, Vandy
Tennessee - Bama, Florida, Vandy, UK, Georgia

So now that each program has a preference of opponent. I think the best stab at the 3 permanents would be:

Bama: Tenn, Aub, MSU
Aub: Bama, UGA, UF
Miss: MSU, Vandy, LSU
MSU: Miss, Bama, Okla
LSU: A&M, UF, Miss
A&M: Texas, Ark, LSU
Ark: A&M, Mizz, Texas
Mizz: Ark, Okla, SC
Texas: Okla, A&M, Ark
Okla: Texas, Mizz, MSU
UF: UGA, LSU, Aub
UK: Tenn, SC, Vandy
Vandy: Tenn, UK, Miss
SC: UGA, Mizz, UK
UGA: UF, SC, Aub
Tenn: Bama, Vandy, UK

Got some old rivalries back together, kept some teams together that think that they hate each other, even if I haven't heard of some of these rivalries. Oh, and welcome to the SEC, Oklahoma, here's a bunch of cowbells until you go deaf.

I thin the plan was to rotate every other opponent every other year. So we would play Okla at home in 2022 and at Okla in 2024, etc etc...

I would love it! I hope it happens.
Honestly a wildcard rivalry that's about to brew is MSU and Texas. Especially after the College World Series.
But this is what I conjured up last night while falling asleep so forgive if there's mistakes or its stupid lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211118-072313_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20211118-072313_Samsung Notes.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: BigSteve09
So much easier to turn around a program in BBall.

That’s your takeaway? He was trying to inspire the realists…put a little hope in the negaVols…get with the program Cosmo…being a realist was such a pruitt era debacle.

Let’s give HOPE a chance.
We now have a really good coaching staff with aspirations of greatness. Let’s stay positive and watch the other SEC teams feel despair as we rise from the kdjp ashes.

Yes, kdjp is a four letter word kids. It’s the most insulting word that our beloved program has ever had to endure.

I have said that we need to build it like Clemson…. Solid football players that fit our system…. Hit on a few studs… and rarely have any busts…. When you get to the top… studs will line up to come here….. according 247 composite…. Clemsons 1st national championship tram only had 1 5* and pretty much as many 3* or below players starting as they did 4* and above….. we don’t have the same type of recruiting advantages as some teams but it can be done if our coaches can scout/develop talent.

So when Clemson started their climb, they were building it like Tennessee did. Substitute Tennessee everywhere for Clemson and you described how Tennessee went through the 70s and steadily rose through the 80s to get to 90s decade of dominance. My hope is that it won’t take us that long this time.

A bonus feature would be if Clemson is spiraling down like we did in the late 2020s and they have a decade of misery ahead of them. Just a thought.

Finebaum just said SEC is working on a model where 3 teams are made permanent opponents then the rest of the 5 or 6 games rotate and the best two records play for the Conference Title. Lol knowing our luck we’ll have Georgia Bama Florida or something of that nature lmao… he said it was in the works and not final but I found it interesting on his show a few minutes ago
Our rivalries with Vandy, KY and Mizzou are timeless fall classics that we should never lose.

Ok, now that that is settled…

That leaves 12 teams to schedule. Play 6 of these teams in even years. The other
6 in odd years. Any player who stays 4 years will have played each other team at

This is one of the best I’ve seen because it’s the most equitable which is exactly why it won’t happen. There will be years where the best teams have to play each other in the regular season, get beat up with losses, and the league would lose control on getting 2 teams in the playoffs. Now, if the playoffs expand to 10 or 12 teams then this is more feasible.

So when Clemson started their climb, they were building it like Tennessee did. Substitute Tennessee everywhere for Clemson and you described how Tennessee went through the 70s and steadily rose through the 80s to get to 90s decade of dominance. My hope is that it won’t take us that long this time.

A bonus feature would be if Clemson is spiraling down like we did in the late 2020s and they have a decade of misery ahead of them. Just a thought.
Definitely would be nice to see Clemson start spiraling downward…. I don’t want to take as long as Tennessee did during the late 70’s -90’s to recover… I feel like we compared more to the way kentucky has been built instead of Clemson….We would build up to where we had quality juniors and seniors….. have a good season…. Lose them and go back down…. Clemson was able to not have many misses in recruiting and was consistently growing.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
VQ Mailbag Podcast Notes:

- Probably no Javonta Payton this week.
- AP expects 1-2 commitments before we hit December.
- All current commits are expected to sign on early signing day.
- Justin Williams has an OV on December 11th, so do not expect any commitment until then.
- Most import commit is Tayven Jackson according to AP.

We really need this guy to be the guy. Doesn’t have to be an All-American but he can’t be a miss. I imagine Heupel has done his research and expects Jackson to run the system so I’m not questioning anything but we really just need some luck on our side for once.

I will say that the fact Hendon Hooker landed in our lap is a sign that our luck might be changing.

VQ Mailbag Podcast Notes:

- Probably no Javonta Payton this week.
- AP expects 1-2 commitments before we hit December.
- All current commits are expected to sign on early signing day.
- Justin Williams has an OV on December 11th, so do not expect any commitment until then.
So that means 2 possible commits that’s not Williams….. I wonder who that is…. Maybe Kody Jones And who else?

Reactions: volsfan_17
Lane and South Beach just seem made for each other.
I don't believe the source. If you want a championship, definitely easier to make ACC title game at Miami. Didn't Richt do it in year 2? What are expectations at Ole Miss? Can he win 7-8 a year and keep his job there? Does the Miami administration want a return the U? Doubtful from what I have read.

That's the dream

Reactions: Bruce Wayne
Lane may have ended up at Miami if he were still at FAU looking for a way out. He's not bailing on Ole Miss to deal with Miami. They are not aligned to make that program successful down there.

Lane may have ended up at Miami if he were still at FAU looking for a way out. He's not bailing on Ole Miss to deal with Miami. They are not aligned to make that program successful down there.

Lane at South Beach would be amazing for College football. I find the Shapiro rumor less likely when he said Randy Shannon as DC for the combo. I could see Randy being part of staff but the actual DC doesn’t seem like a Lane move. Also agree with the admin and resources just not very good at Miami right now.

Lane at South Beach would be amazing for College football. I find the Shapiro rumor less likely when he said Randy Shannon as DC for the combo. I could see Randy being part of staff but the actual DC doesn’t seem like a Lane move. Also agree with the admin and resources just not very good at Miami right now.

True, but almost have to assume Lane’s got the ego to think he can get it back to the early 2000s Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back