Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering no coach in UT history has won in Nashville OR made a FF why are you expecting more from Barnes?

I'll be honest I want to see him at about 70% win percentage and then if he can make an Elite Eight I'd be pretty happy with his tenure here. If he manages to win the SEC Tournament and add another regular season title or two I'll be over the moon happy.
Because we had a coach on the verge of breaking through that actually has now and our weak admin wouldn't back him. He's paid wayyyyyt too much to do so little in March

Trying to build a parlay. Have 6 solid picks, but on the fence with this game. I want PSU, cause their + odds and bump the parlay way up.

Trying to decide the picks for the PSU v Arky, Ole Miss v Baylor, and Kentucky v Iowa games. Any insight would be appreciated from anyone.

Franklin is 0-2 against SEC teams in Bowl games...but were close games (lost by 7 to Georgia and lost by 3 to Kentucky).

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
Give Barnes a shooter...a real shooter or two and I believe. He very well could have won in 19...we lost and it had nothing to do with him. He built a team that could win it, and building teams that can win it is what is important.

Outside of Bruce we have never had a coach that could build teams that COULD win it, and he didn't do it at any better pace than Barnes.
It goes beyond just having a shooter…. He has had Kevin Durant and couldn’t do much in the tourney…. There is just something missing there…. He is 24-24 in the tourney…. Compare that with coach K who is 97-30…. Bruce Pearl is 15-10 as well so he wins at a better pace as well….. I saw a graph that showed 30 of the best coaches in the last 20-30 years and Barnes was the third worse in NCAA tournament productivity ahead of only Norm Stewart and Lou Henson.

I am happy to have Barnes and do not want him fired… it’s ok to discuss his short comings….I wish he could figure out what is hindering his success and when March begins.

First, I want South Carolina to lose by 50 to North Carolina. Then, I want ESPN to keep talking about what a great coach he is. I think it is hilarious. It reminds me of when Butch Jones would try to manufacture good publicity without deserving it.

Some advice to the younger guys and gals on this board: find someone who loves you the way the sports media love Shane Beamer.

Because we had a coach on the verge of breaking through that actually has now and our weak admin wouldn't back him. He's paid wayyyyyt too much to do so little in March

Bruce Pearl threw that away, not UT. The admin did what they did, they aren't here anymore and neither is Pearl. So continuing to whine about it is pointless and irrelevant to the current program/coach.

And even then Pearl never won in Nashville and never made a Final Four (while here). He got there in Auburn while illegally paying players...remember the FBI investigation? If anything the fact that ended up happening should just drive home the point we're better off without him. Us, unlike Auburn likely wouldn't have gotten off so easy considering he (Pearl) got a Show Cause already here for a BBQ. Imagine what the SEC/NCAA would have done to UT if we had kept/rehired Pearl and then the FBI investigation happened.

It goes beyond just having a shooter…. He has had Kevin Durant and couldn’t do much in the tourney…. There is just something missing there…. He is 24-24 in the tourney…. Compare that with coach K who is 97-30…. Bruce Pearl is 15-10 as well so he wins at a better pace as well….. I saw a graph that showed 30 of the best coaches in the last 20-30 years and Barnes was the third worse in NCAA tournament productivity ahead of only Norm Stewart and Lou Henson.

I am happy to have Barnes and do not want him fired… it’s ok to discuss his short comings….I wish he could figure out what is hindering his success and when March begins.
I believe part of his tourney issues are because he grinds his teams down mentally so much that they have nothing left. Pulling guys every time they make a mistake will have guys scared to try and make plays for fear of getting pulled. Barnes also wants to play through the post and the tournament is all about guard play his style doesn't mesh well at all. Lastly 3>2 teams just out shoot his teams in March

Bruce Pearl threw that away, not UT. The admin did what they did, they aren't here anymore and neither is Pearl. So continuing to whine about it is pointless and irrelevant to the current program/coach.

And even then Pearl never won in Nashville and never made a Final Four (while here). He got there in Auburn while illegally paying players...remember the FBI investigation? If anything the fact that ended up happening should just drive home the point we're better off without him. Us, unlike Auburn likely wouldn't have gotten off so easy considering he (Pearl) got a Show Cause already here for a BBQ. Imagine what the SEC/NCAA would have done to UT if we had kept/rehired Pearl and then the FBI investigation happened.
1. I said on the verge.
2. What was his penalty at Auburn I forgot?

1. I said on the verge.
2. What was his penalty at Auburn I forgot?

1. Barnes has been on the verge as well (with winning in Nashville at least)
2. 2 game suspension and Auburn on probation with 2 less scholarships (not sure if that's happening or not though)

But I'd put all my money that if it had happened to Pearl while in Knoxville the penalty would have been far more severe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back