Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read that KNS thinks Vescovi is Tennessee's best player. He certainly had best game last night, other than the NY PG. Zakai kid is special. Passes through legs, threes, controlling movement.

Idiocy of lazy reporting.
He may not have the ceiling that Chandler has but he has been the most consistent this year.

I fell prey to it last night.

Truth is, if we destroy a team playing Pearl ball - 85-65. Its a W. 1 PT win, is still...a W.

I know this wasn’t your point but this for the folks in the back. Bruce Pearl is just a better coach. And an aberration for program. But I will always appreciate Barnes. I know how bad we can suck, so I will relish where we are. Which is above average to really good for our program. With a much better person as a coach.

I know this wasn’t your point but this for the folks in the back. Bruce Pearl is just a better coach. And an aberration for program. But I will always appreciate Barnes. I know how bad we can suck, so I will relish where we are. Which is above average to really good for our program. With a much better person as a coach.
meh. bigger personality. that's all.

Prob a much stronger rakrooter.

Just read that KNS thinks Vescovi is Tennessee's best player. He certainly had best game last night, other than the NY PG. Zakai kid is special. Passes through legs, threes, controlling movement.

Idiocy of lazy reporting.

Most lazy reporters just think whoever scores the most is the teams best player. Pretty common to see

That being said, Vescovi has bailed this team out so much already this year. Seems like he makes the timely play when we need it most

ZZ gonna be a fan favorite over the next 4 years

Most lazy reporters just think whoever scores the most is the teams best player. Pretty common to see

That being said, Vescovi has bailed this team out so much already this year. Seems like he makes the timely play when we need it most

ZZ gonna be a fan favorite over the next 4 years
My only problem with Vescovi is that he plays under control almost to a fault. Would like to see him push the ball in turnover transition and figure out how to get to the line in the process.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
This... We were irrelevant in every way as a basketball program for a very long time.. Most of my life.. Until Pearl. And then, irrelevancy happened again... Until Barnes.

I'll always appreciate both of them.

Imma go ahead and get this out the way...I told you guys a while back that this is a good, not great basketball team. This team is not going to win the SEC, and if it gets to the Sweet Sixteen it will be a miracle.

That doesn't make it suck, or mean it is a bad-mediocre team...it is a decent team that does some things well and other things not so well.

It has some talent, but it has some uncomplimentary talent...it is what it is.

I agree and have said the same thing--- I am not a Barnes sunshine pumper-- he's a good coach, but the Vols continue to lack the ability to consistently play at a high level... hot and cold... I don't understand why Barne's teams won't go to the hoop and draw fouls... I don't think I've seen us consistently drive to the basket since Scotty Hopson... We can certainly be getting the other team in foul trouble if we'd go... Chandler would score a min of 12 points a game from the line if Barnes would let him drive to the hoop and draw some fouls. He's got the control to do so. We cannot live and die by the 3pt shot.

We have a lot of young talent, so it will be interesting in the next month or so to see if Barnes can develop it and get this team to gel and improve. We definitely need another Big man next year...Uros still looks like a baby deer out there, he should be MUCH farther along by now. With his frame and height, he should be dominating the boards by now... Again, Barnes doesn't seem to have developed.

There's still a lot to clean up, with missed baskets from turnovers and a lot of inconsistent sloppy play. If we can continue to improve and tighten things up, we may surprise some folks come tourney time.

It all comes down to the mindset and confidence level of this team game to game, and I don't think Barnes is doing a good job of having this team mentally prepared and confident each game. He doesn't have Admiral or Williams to pump the team up, he is going to have to do it himself, which means actually getting up off his rear and keep the team fired up on the sideline. He sits and watches like a fan too long...

Hate to say it, but it Pearl was here with this talent, I think these guys would be playing consistently at a higher level game to game. JMO. Go Vols!

2 more thoughts--

Vescovi starts driving to the basket and getting fouled, it could be a major game changer.

If Barnes doesn't do something of substance in the next year or so with this current talent, it will be harder and harder to keep getting these high tier recruits. We will probably see a drop in talent. UT with Barnes seems to be the place where high character talent that is in the one and done scenario will come to get that old school one year development and will then go to the NBA... he got lucky with Admiral and Williams...

Reactions: Jimdog's Revenge
I agree and have said the same thing--- I am not a Barnes sunshine pumper-- he's a good coach, but the Vols continue to lack the ability to consistently play at a high level... hot and cold... I don't understand why Barne's teams won't go to the hoop and draw fouls... I don't think I've seen us consistently drive to the basket since Scotty Hopson... We can certainly be getting the other team in foul trouble if we'd go... Chandler would score a min of 12 points a game from the line if Barnes would let him drive to the hoop and draw some fouls. He's got the control to do so. We cannot live and die by the 3pt shot.

We have a lot of young talent, so it will be interesting in the next month or so to see if Barnes can develop it and get this team to gel and improve. We definitely need another Big man next year...Uros still looks like a baby deer out there, he should be MUCH farther along by now. With his frame and height, he should be dominating the boards by now... Again, Barnes doesn't seem to have developed.

There's still a lot to clean up, with missed baskets from turnovers and a lot of inconsistent sloppy play. If we can continue to improve and tighten things up, we may surprise some folks come tourney time.

It all comes down to the mindset and confidence level of this team game to game, and I don't think Barnes is doing a good job of having this team mentally prepared and confident each game. He doesn't have Admiral or Williams to pump the team up, he is going to have to do it himself, which means actually getting up off his rear and keep the team fired up on the sideline. He sits and watches like a fan too long...

Hate to say it, but it Pearl was here with this talent, I think these guys would be playing consistently at a higher level game to game. JMO. Go Vols!
Barnes got the talent here. . . that is part of coaching. . . Barnes and Pearl have given UT its best success in decades.

Wish you were our coach. You know everything we need to do. I think you could get us there.

2 more thoughts--

Vescovi starts driving to the basket and getting fouled, it could be a major game changer.

If Barnes doesn't do something of substance in the next year or so with this current talent, it will be harder and harder to keep getting these high tier recruits. We will probably see a drop in talent. UT with Barnes seems to be the place where high character talent that is in the one and done scenario will come to get that old school one year development and will then go to the NBA... he got lucky with Admiral and Williams...
If they keep going to the NBA, it won't matter.

Barnes is overdue for a good tournament run.

With Fulky still showing signs of fatigue from Covid, Barnes is having to figure out the rotation and get the most from his squad.

Producing a top defense has been CRB's calling card and they needed it last night.

They will continue to gel and hopefully get/stay healthy.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
This team has the pieces to be special I think. But we need the guards to get more comfortable (and willing) to drive on zone and force contact at the rim more often. I also wish one of our big men would play above the rim on both sides of the court.

Uros doesn't play to his height at all. And Olivier & Fulky both are undersized. Really hope BHH starts to get it going in this area.

Reactions: UTJoe
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back