Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snowmageddon is upon us. Stay warm at home, and don’t forget to thank your Public Works crews out there in it. My guys here absolutely love the work they do and don’t want any recognition for it at all. They’re truly the unsung heroes of local government, just like so many across the country.

I’m like a proud papa watching them out here busting it.

1641484429086.gif

I know this wasn’t your point but this for the folks in the back. Bruce Pearl is just a better coach. And an aberration for program. But I will always appreciate Barnes. I know how bad we can suck, so I will relish where we are. Which is above average to really good for our program. With a much better person as a coach.
Pearl was fun. He let's his athletes play to their strengths and it is high-flying, high-scoring. He's got a huge personality to boot. He also took us to one (1) Elite 8.

It's arguable that Barnes is a better developer of individual players. He forces them to address their weaknesses and build them up, and he makes his teams play tough defense. That hasn't always translated to post-season runs, because it's possibly more tiring. But he's always going to have solid, sound teams. He's always going to win a few games above the team's level in a season. He's put more players in the league.

And solid, sound teams will get you solid, consistent postseason results (Sweet 16 and Top 4 in SEC). The fun, high-flying ball will get you energy and momentum to deep post-season runs, or a quick out if you're not clicking.

I like Bruce Pearl and I like Rick Barnes. Tough for me to compare which is better because they are different styles - so I think it's subjective at this point. Arguments can be made both ways.

I like the stability and confidence Rick Barnes has brought to the program.

Why are we going after rb’s in the portal? Is one planning on transferring out because we have really good depth there, not to mention we are already bringing in 2 really good rb’s

You prefer not to rely on a freshman regardless of what you think they provide. This staff wants to have 5-6 backs they can rely on. Right now we have one. Maybe two but I don’t think Wright is consistent enough to count on. We need a bigger back veteran as we really struggle in short yardage because we were using small backs

It started snowing here in the Boro a little before 8. It is 10 and I'll bet there is upwards of 2.5 inches on the ground and still coming down steady. A week ago it was 70 degrees and between the last snow and this one, we will have had probably close to 10 or more inches of snow in a week. That is more than we usually get in a year. Gall dang climate changes quick.

Our 31 win team under Barnes.

5 players averaged 10 ppg or more, and 5 players averaged at least 2 attempts per game at the free throw line

This team has 2 players averaging 10 or more and 2 players averaging at least 2 attempts per game at the free throw line

For the most part that team played inside/out. This team has not seen a 3 that they didn't like and many times never get the ball into the lane. It works when you have the shooters/athletes to make it work - see AU. Al and LSU.

It started snowing here in the Boro a little before 8. It is 10 and I'll bet there is upwards of 2.5 inches on the ground and still coming down steady. A week ago it was 70 degrees and between the last snow and this one, we will have had probably close to 10 or more inches of snow in a week. That is more than we usually get in a year. Gall dang climate changes quick.
Gotta love TN. Nothing here in Kingsport yet, but I've seen its not predicted to hit before 3

Citing a quote where I admitted my take was wrong from 2 pages back in reply to you telling (not asking because youre a self important ass) me to “just say your take was wrong” confuses you? Maybe you’re not as smart as I gave you credit for.

And yes you citing an unsolicited example of you being wrong is a sign of your self importance. No one asked, no one even cares about others being wrong except you. You can be wrong all you want it doesn’t matter. You only brought it up so you could say “Look at me, I’m proud to admit when I’m wrong” while ignoring that I already had admitted that very same thing a whole page before.

Your schtick is old, please retire with the other resident VN assholes of old. I’m sure some fresh blood would at least be more entertaining than your trite act.
Lol...Butchie is one of the best things about this place, and we snipe at each other all the time.

For the most part that team played inside/out. This team has not seen a 3 that they didn't like and many times never get the ball into the lane. It works when you have the shooters/athletes to make it work - see AU. Al and LSU.

This is a great point. Santi, Powell and Olivier are solid spot up shooters. Given an open shot and time, they can knock them down much of the time. The rest are rhythm catch and shoot when taking the outside J. They shoot their best when the ball has worked inside, they find an open spot on the floor, and the ball gets passed outside where they catch and shoot. JJJ is working on the spot up. Bailey was brought in to be that and now sucks at it.

Enlighten me, oh wise one.
Tell me where the lie is:
Top 3 recruiting class ✅
Top 5 highest paid coach ✅
Veteran players returning ✅
Underachieving with superior talent ✅

Look, I like Rick but you just have to know he's going to have you in the tournament, but never past the sweet 16 regardless of his talent advantage. Hope he proves me wrong, but his results don't lie.
Top 3 comment is a joke...this team has no deadeye consistent shooters, or a really talented big man. We have a lot of uncomplimentary talent and if you really understand the game, then you know what I mean, and that it is true.

This is a great point. Santi, Powell and Olivier are solid spot up shooters. Given an open shot and time, they can knock them down much of the time. The rest are rhythm catch and shoot when taking the outside J. They shoot their best when the ball has worked inside, they find an open spot on the floor, and the ball gets passed outside where they catch and shoot. JJJ is working on the spot up. Bailey was brought in to be that and now sucks at it.

I have heard Barnes say that inside-out is the way he wants to play even with more three point shots taken. I’m just not sure if it’s an execution problem or something else. I only watched a few minutes last night, but OM was willing to play their 7 footer one on one with Fulky, and no one was getting open.

The recruiting sites could do so much better at covering transfers. At least list a player's current size rather than the size they were when initially recruited.

Nashville has gone full on DEFCON 3. I'm pretty sure the purge is about to begin. Le Tits Now
Glad I got back to Knoxville yesterday. **** that. I used to drive I-95 Richmond to DC about once a month. I think I would be ready to kill someone if they stranded me out there for 20 hours.

Reactions: HeadVol77 and ugg
I'm sure he did prosper. Wonder how much they paid him?

The tendies weren't enough?

NeatKeyAnnashummingbird-max-1mb.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back