Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd have to watch such a game in-person (it wouldn't be on TV), in about a 2500 seat stadium, and likely wouldn't be able to discuss it on a message board (because nobody else would care except you). I kind of have a feeling you wouldn't actually be interested in it.
This literally isn’t true. College football wasn’t the spectacle it is today in the 40s, 50s, hell up until the 90s. But both my grandfathers told me stories of THEIR fathers taking them to college football games every weekend and being avid fans.

Joe burrow is a minuscule percentage of the 1500+ players in the transfer portal at any given time.

A much larger percentage of those guys will never see the NFL, and will regret not making relationships and connections while they were in school to help them in the real world rather than burning bridges at school to school trying to reach a pinnacle that they’ll never see.
I'm not saying that a player transferring will always work out for them. The grass isn't always greener. There are all sorts of guys in the portal that are probably better off staying at their current school.

What I am saying is that if a player perceives (that perception might be right or wrong) that it is better for them to be somewhere else, they are going to leave. There's just too much at stake, especially for the guys with legitimate professional aspirations.

You'd have to watch such a game in-person (it wouldn't be on TV), in about a 2500 seat stadium, and likely wouldn't be able to discuss it on a message board (because nobody else would care except you). I kind of have a feeling you wouldn't actually be interested in it.
Maryville College plays every Saturday.

Reactions: hooter vol
This literally isn’t true. College football wasn’t the spectacle it is today in the 40s, 50s, hell up until the 90s. But both my grandfathers told me stories of THEIR fathers taking them to college football games every weekend and being avid fans.
I was exaggerating with the 2500 seat stadium. There might be 25k at games, like there were in the 1930s at the big schools. It'd attract a fraction of the eyeballs, meaning media coverage of the sport would be a fraction of what it is today.

I'm not saying that a player transferring will always work out for them. The grass isn't always greener. There are all sorts of guys in the portal that are probably better off staying at their current school.

What I am saying is that if a player perceives (that perception might be right or wrong) that it is better for them to be somewhere else, they are going to leave. There's just too much at stake, especially for the guys with legitimate professional aspirations.
I remember a quote from some guy who was an activist of some sort that said “My parents can’t figure out how to use an iPhone, I can do whatever they’re struggling with in 2 seconds. These people are the ones running the country, and we need to show them how it’s supposed to be done.” Or something to that effect.

It was that moment I realized that I was an odd teenager. I somehow was blessed with the ability to know that there’s things that I don’t know and listen to people with more experience than me for guidance. These kids should do that more. Because, again, the NFL ain’t calling 95% of them. Burning bridges with universities will only hurt them in the real world. Especially if they start to think they can just quit and get another job if the one they have does them “wrong” in any way. They’re not learning how to deal with reality.

I remember a quote from some guy who was an activist of some sort that said “My parents can’t figure out how to use an iPhone, I can do whatever they’re struggling with in 2 seconds. These people are the ones running the country, and we need to show them how it’s supposed to be done.” Or something to that effect.

It was that moment I realized that I was an odd teenager. I somehow was blessed with the ability to know that there’s things that I don’t know and listen to people with more experience than me for guidance. These kids should do that more. Because, again, the NFL ain’t calling 95% of them. Burning bridges with universities will only hurt them in the real world. Especially if they start to think they can just quit and get another job if the one they have does them “wrong” in any way. They’re not learning how to deal with reality.
I don't disagree in the slightest. I'm just trying to answer the question many people here are asking, which is "Why is so-and-so leaving?"

I'm just trying to explain why - you might agree or disagree with that player's rationale, but that is why they leave. Most 18-22 year olds, especially ones who think they are hot shot athletes, tend to think they know everything and overvalue themselves. It isn't anything new.

Reactions: Jack Burton

I totally get your point, but the thing is, if the kids haven't learned to deal with adversity by the time they get to college, then it may take more than just sitting on the bench for a couple of seasons. Even before the portal and NIL, there were kids that would pout on the sideline if they didn't get their way. Even back in your grandfather's day. That is not new.

Also, part of life is knowing when to move on. Being able to asses your options and make decisions is part of adulting. I have left great jobs for better jobs. Sometimes it worked out great, sometimes it didn't. That is part of the experience. Hell, I changed colleges four times. In the real world, people will recruit you and try to convince you that they have a better path for you than your current employer. Sometimes that is true and sometimes it isn't. That truly is real life.

The thing that I think is forgotten is that these guys are basically no different than the Rhodes Scholar in the next dorm. They are all just trying to figure it out. We try to apply some level of military decorum to football, but it is just a game. Most guys will not go on to play in the NFL. Coaches have had the ability to cut bait on these guys at will for nearly 100 years. How much stress is that for a player. Now the players are given some autonomy to control their own destiny. Will it blow up for some? Sure, but that is life. It makes them no different than you or me. It took me four tries before I found the right fit for school. I am not a quitter. I am a human being with free will. Why should FB players be any different? They have lives just like me.

And I am over 50 and so my contemporaries are currently running the country, and let me tell you, they are not doing a great job. You think that wisdom comes from age, but that is not always true. My teenager and her friends are incredibly sharp and engaged. I spent the last decade feeling despondant about the future in an existential sense, but I am much more positive these days, because these kids are actually pretty smart. We tend to stereotype based on the smallest percentages, but when you really dig in, most of these kids are much better prepared than I was at 16-17.

The NIL and portal will be a cluster fk for a little while, but it will smooth out over time. There will be successes and failures, and more than a few bumps in the road, but that is to be expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back