Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lane is right. AP attempting to defend it the same way everyone does, by pointing at the exception that proves the rule. College football is not the one enterprise operating in the free market that isn't driven by the money. The idea of a kid taking 5-10% less money than his maximum offer doesn't begin to disprove that. Wake me up when a kid turns down six figures to play for free. Until then, so what?

And I don't know why Lane's opinion makes everyone so upset? If we are killing the NIL game, and the NIL deals are the driving factor, then what's the problem? I just think a lot of fans want to have their cake and eat it too. Give money to Spyre and talk up the financial stuff in recruiting, and then turn on a dime and act like the players are here purely on the motivations of an amateur athlete, which they aren't.

Movement is created by grip/friction on the threads of the baseball and some of it is arm angle/release point…. If either one of those are off than you won’t get as much movement as normal.

I went to Omaha last year with an MLB scout, and it was fascinating what data they use. He was telling me the difference between the top Texas pitcher who got drafted in the first round and Will Bednar, the MSU pitcher who was a first rounder as well. Bednar pitches with a much faster spin rate. If he’s on, he gets more swings and misses as it moves a lot. However, if a guy catches it, it allows the batter to produce more loft, which is conducive to HR’s. The Texas pitcher, however, throws hard with less spin. He doesn’t strike out nearly as many, but his ball is like hitting a bowling ball, and gets more contact outs. Just different ways to pitch. It was fascinating talking to him after he sat behind the plate through games.

Lane is right. AP attempting to defend it the same way everyone does, by pointing at the exception that proves the rule. College football is not the one enterprise operating in the free market that isn't driven by the money. The idea of a kid taking 5-10% less money than his maximum offer doesn't begin to disprove that. Wake me up when a kid turns down six figures to play for free. Until then, so what?

And I don't know why Lane's opinion makes everyone so upset? If we are killing the NIL game, and the NIL deals are the driving factor, then what's the problem? I just think a lot of fans want to have their cake and eat it too. Give money to Spyre and talk up the financial stuff in recruiting, and then turn on a dime and act like the players are here purely on the motivations of an amateur athlete, which they aren't.

He is trying to talk in absolutes, and that’s not true. There will be smart kids who will consider the entire package, including the staff and NIL. If Rodney Garner gets guys drafted, why would a kid choose $750k in NIL from someone else when he could take $300k-$500k from UT to get coached by Garner. Just taking the bigger check doesn’t mean a kid maximizes his worth.

Found one of the many who wanted Lane back👀

I went to Omaha last year with an MLB scout, and it was fascinating what data they use. He was telling me the difference between the top Texas pitcher who got drafted in the first round and Will Bednar, the MSU pitcher who was a first rounder as well. Bednar pitches with a much faster spin rate. If he’s on, he gets more swings and misses as it moves a lot. However, if a guy catches it, it allows the batter to produce more loft, which is conducive to HR’s. The Texas pitcher, however, throws hard with less spin. He doesn’t strike out nearly as many, but his ball is like hitting a bowling ball, and gets more contact outs. Just different ways to pitch. It was fascinating talking to him after he sat behind the plate through games.
I would have loved to have been there…. I absolutely eat this stuff up.

The top players were never playing for free. The playing field is level now and the price per player went up 2000%. Now Lane can't afford them and Saban/Kirby can't get nearly every one and they all can't stand it.

He is good entertainment.
He is until isn’t, and hasn’t been since when he left here, got fired on a runway at USC, went into the coaching rehab at that crimson color (we won’t even go into his time there 😒, allegedly). Trolled heavily (especially the Vols, because he knew we would respond, and they did) while at Florida Atlantic he ‘worked’ to get himself to the next job. Now he relies on fans to keep him ‘available’ for the next stepping stone job by people that find him entertaining. I don’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back